Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

rioesmarex

Jan 25, 2016, 12:32 PM

Post #1 of 23 (9245 views)

Shortcut

Use of Temporary 180 day visitante permit.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Question: Never had to do this before so need an answer as to procedure.
Wife and I have tourist permit good for 180 days ( the canje/reposicion boxes are NOT checked )
The permits are good until May19th, 2016
Entered by land with a car ( TIP good for same period of time )
Wife has to return to the U.S. for family funeral.
1) When boarding the plane to the U.S. is she " required to or will she be asked " to turn in her 180 permit or does she just say nothing and keep the permit and present her U.S. passport to board the plane
2) If she keeps the permit , then when she returns by air, will Immigration accept her still valid 180 permit or is she going to have to buy another one.
Seems like there should be no problem but one can never understand the Mexican rationale

Send to forum OR reply direct to Dave .... cidrni2002@yahoo.com

joaquinx

Jan 25, 2016, 2:32 PM

Post #2 of 23 (9231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rioesmarex] Use of Temporary 180 day visitante permit.

The airline will ask for it. Can you board without it? Will she be fined if she claims that it was lost or stolen? If she flies back, the airline will add the cost of an Visitante (FMM) to the airfare.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

YucaLandia

Jan 25, 2016, 2:38 PM

Post #3 of 23 (9227 views)

Shortcut

Before going to the airline checkin, she goes to the airport's INM desk/office. INM formally cancels the visitante visa, and sends her over to the airline check-in counter. ... If the visitante visa is lost, INM charges $35 USD.

Airlines do not issue boarding passes, unless the visitor turns in their visitante visa.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RickS

Jan 25, 2016, 2:47 PM

Post #4 of 23 (9225 views)

Shortcut

A lot will depend on 'who' actually acquired the TIP when the vehicle was driven in.... your name or hers. If it were her name that went on the Permit, then she is obligated by law to remove the vehicle whenever she leaves; or said differently she must not leave the country without turning in the TIP and her Tourist Card. If it were your name to which the vehicle was permitted, then she can leave and come back at will.

In either case, at the airport she will have to surrender her Tourist Card... they will ask her for it and take it. When she returns (I'm assuming by air) she will get another Tourist Card good for another 180 days... paid for within the airline ticket cost.

In the past, folks (including me!) left the country flying, leaving a TIP vehicle inside Mexico... later to return by air just as you wife plans on doing. But that was then and this is now with far more interconnecting Mexican computers checking her status. Doing that now might be perilous.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 25, 2016, 2:51 PM)

rioesmarex

Jan 25, 2016, 4:12 PM

Post #5 of 23 (9214 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Use of Temporary 180 day visitante permit.

o.k. .... thanks for the info.
The current visa is not lost so there will be ( included in the cost of the airline ticket no fine to leave the country but it seems to be the general consensus that she will have to pay another $35 to get back into the country ( included in the cost of the airline ticket )
Just curious ..... how does the airline know to charge the $35 when you book a ticket on-line ? I don't recall ever being asked whether I was Mexican or U.S. when I bought a ticket to Mexico in the past.
Also... some countries in Central America would not let you buy a one way ticket into the country ... what about Mexico .... how to you prove or show that you are coming in by air and leaving later by car ?
Dave

rioesmarex

Jan 25, 2016, 4:16 PM

Post #6 of 23 (9210 views)

Shortcut

Internet connection bad ... forgot to also ask how the airlines knows whether you are Mexican or U.S. in order to add $35 to the ticket cost and can you buy a one way ticket back into Mexico ..... how do you prive you will be kleaving later by car .... Some central American countries don't allow one way tickets into the country

RickS

Jan 25, 2016, 5:09 PM

Post #7 of 23 (9204 views)

Shortcut

Yes, one can buy a one-way ticket from the US to Mexico. I do it 'often'.... have one right now! One doesn't have to prove how they will leave at a later date but should turn in their tourist card, no matter how obtained, when they leave the country.

The price of the visa is covered in the 'taxes' portion of the total ticket price. I know of at least one airline that asks Nationality when ticketing online on their website.

This subject (charging for a tourist card) is/has been a hot one for several years especially by even US/Canadian citizens who also have 'permanent' immigration status in Mexico and are not actually supposed to be charged as they are not tourists. Getting that money back can be an arduous task.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 31, 2016, 1:49 PM)

Mim11

Jan 25, 2016, 5:32 PM

Post #8 of 23 (9199 views)

Shortcut

There is currently a class action lawsuit against some airlines for collecting this "tax" on all tickets, including those who are not subject to the tourist fee (Mexican citizens and residents). The airlines had to forward the amount corresponding to all those required to pay the fee to the Mexican government, but then quietly pocketed the rest.

For years, my Mexican husband has paid the same for his airline ticket as I have, even though he should not be paying that fee. It certainly would add up to several hundred dollars for us over the years, since the airlines started automatically including it in the "taxes" component of all tickets in 1999. Hmm, maybe I need to see if I can find all those old boarding passes pending the outcome of the lawsuit.

In terms of handing in her current tourist permit, definitely she has to hand it in when she leaves. However, I've never done this through INM at the airport. I just hand it to the airline counter agent, who I've always presumed makes sure it gets to Immigration.

(This post was edited by Mim11 on Jan 25, 2016, 5:33 PM)

rioesmarex

Jan 28, 2016, 1:34 PM

Post #9 of 23 (9065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mim11] Use of Temporary 180 day visitante permit.

Just bought the ticket and there was no charge ( or inclusion ) of a visitors visa/permit
There was charge that was listed as " tourist tax " of $22 but no charge for visitante visa/permit

La Isla

Jan 28, 2016, 2:09 PM

Post #10 of 23 (9061 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Just bought the ticket and there was no charge ( or inclusion ) of a visitors visa/permit
There was charge that was listed as " tourist tax " of $22 but no charge for visitante visa/permit

I am sure that "tourist tax" = "visitante visa/permit".

chinagringo

Jan 28, 2016, 2:11 PM

Post #11 of 23 (9061 views)

Shortcut

I think you will find that they are one and the same in airline lingo? Just looked at the breakdown on our SWA tickets for next week and for the two of us, it listed "tourism tax" of $39.44USD.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chinagringo

Jan 28, 2016, 2:48 PM

Post #12 of 23 (9055 views)

Shortcut

The latest info that I can find is that the FMM cost is currently $332MXN which equates to $18.10USD at today's exchange rate. Since we booked our ticket in October, I figure that we overpaid our tourist tax by $3.24USD. I wonder if we can apply for refunds?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

Jan 28, 2016, 7:10 PM

Post #13 of 23 (9040 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

There is no standard single term used to list out the INM visitor's visa fee that is automatically incorrectly tacked on by many airlines.

We've seen it hidden in at least 5 different types of named fees. The key in the past was to look for the fee that used to cost about $27 USD, or more**.

Since the airlines specifically do NOT call out the INM visitor's visa fee by its name, (since they effectively hide it), when we've contacted the airlines in the past, Every single time: their agents on the phone initially denied that it was being charged.

We got ultimately got refunds on 3 different sets of tickets, but it took a lot of emails, sitting on 'hold', and finally getting to talk with airline supervisors
**who could look up the individual sub-prices of items that were within some of the larger fees.

**Hidden inside the single larger fees, the visitors visa fee was hidden as some sub-priced fees that we found for a $27 charge ... but every single time, both the larger fee and the hidden sub-priced fee had some euphemistic names...

Good Luck !
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jan 28, 2016, 7:14 PM)

chinagringo

Jan 28, 2016, 8:04 PM

Post #14 of 23 (9034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Use of Temporary 180 day visitante permit.

Must be nice to have time with so little value that you can getting into a "pizzing match" over so little money? Then again, the celebrations that persisted when Pemex lowered the price of gasoline was far more important!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

rockydog85251

Jan 29, 2016, 5:15 AM

Post #15 of 23 (9016 views)

Shortcut

I've seen it called "Mexican departure tax" as well.
And yes, if you fly a couple of times a year, it is worth getting the refund - unless you have $$ to throw away.
Willie

playaboy

Jan 29, 2016, 6:23 AM

Post #16 of 23 (9007 views)

Shortcut

I have been on all three sides of this thread.

As an RP, I have had the "tourist tax" not include or refunded every time in the last couple of years, 10 trips total on 4 airlines.

On Volaris I just enter that I am a Mexican when purchasing my tickets and the fee is removed before final payment. Delta will allow you to present proof of residency at time of check-in and refund your tax money within 2 weeks. Alaska is the same. Virginamerica was a PIA about it and took many calls. I bought my next ticket from Volaris.

Just ask INM at the airport. In the old days I was able to keep my FMT/FMM when leaving MX. Your wife maybe able to keep her FMM too. She should go to the INM office at the airport and explain why she wants to keep her current FMM. If the INM officer accepts her explanation she will be given 2 copies of a letter, one to give the airline allowing them to issue a boarding pass and the other to turn in to INM when returning. Or the officer says NO, you must surrender it.

I have had a friend refused a boarding pass for not having a round trip ticket on Delta. After much discussion the airline would not relent and made her book and purchase a return ticket. She purchased a first class, fully changeable, fully refundable ticket. A couple of days later she got her refund.

YucaLandia

Jan 29, 2016, 6:49 AM

Post #17 of 23 (9003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Use of Temporary 180 day visitante permit.

In Reply To
Must be nice to have time with so little value that you can getting into a "pizzing match" over so little money? Then again, the celebrations that persisted when Pemex lowered the price of gasoline was far more important!

Good Morning Mr. Chino,

I guess it's a matter of perspective.

$54 ... for 2 people, times 3 sets of flights = $162

$162 is not 'so little money' for some of us.

Eat some bran ... Get out of the cave, & Enjoy the day,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jan 29, 2016, 7:34 AM)

RickS

Jan 29, 2016, 10:26 AM

Post #18 of 23 (8984 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Use of Temporary 180 day visitante permit.

"I have had a friend refused a boarding pass for not having a round trip ticket on Delta"

That would be enough info for me, if possible, to not book a flight on Delta!

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jan 29, 2016, 2:06 PM

Post #19 of 23 (8966 views)

Shortcut

1) As a holder of a U.S. passport, if I buy a round-trip ticket that originates in Mexico to a destination outside of Mexico, can I automatically expect to be charged the "tourist tax" on the return leg?

2) In the same scenario as above, do airlines automatically exclude holders of Mexican passports from this "tourist tax"?

Thanks,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings..."

YucaLandia

Jan 29, 2016, 4:13 PM

Post #20 of 23 (8947 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Use of Temporary 180 day visitante permit.

We booked our tickets online, ourselves, with airlines based in the USA (United, Spirit, and Southwest).

We booked all of the tickets as round-trips, originating in Mexico.

We used the English language US versions of their websites.

We used a US credit card to pay for the flights.

I supplied my US passport and my wife's Mexican passport.

Both of us were incorrectly charged the added (hidden - buried - deceptively labeled ) $27 INM visitors visa fee.

All of these flights occurred in 2014 - 2015, so I don't know their current policies.

Possibly, if you ~ book through a Mexican travel agency; or ~ use a Mexican website; or ~ use a Mexican airline; or ~ use a Mexican credit card ... then maybe they do not automatically book the extra visitor's visa fee (?)

Best of Luck,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jan 29, 2016, 4:14 PM)

RickS

Jan 29, 2016, 8:50 PM

Post #21 of 23 (8932 views)

Shortcut

It's probably time to get back to the OP's question.... but it has already been answered.

Mod

rioesmarex

Jan 30, 2016, 9:41 AM

Post #22 of 23 (8897 views)

Shortcut

Well it has been an interesting discussion and there have been many different answers and " what happened to me " responses.
It all goes to show that in Mexico, ( or anywhere in Central America ) when dealing with any form of govt./authority/migracion/Aduana etc. only one thing is for sure and that is that they are totally screwed up and have no concept of uniformity. Each agency ( even employee/person ) has his or her own idea of how to interpret the rules and and they do so arbitrarily and will even change their own mind from situation to situation. They are a law unto themselves.
However, I have bought my wife's ticket but not in the way/scenario originally described. We will wait and see what happens and let you know what happened when she returns.

Mim11

Jan 31, 2016, 9:36 AM

Post #23 of 23 (8831 views)

Shortcut

I don't think this applies uniquely to bureaucracies in Latin America. I have often advocated on behalf of others with various levels of bureaucracy in Canada, including Immigration, WSIB (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board), CPP Disability, Social Services, and Employment Insurance (where I acted as my own advocate regarding maternity benefits, winning at every appeal level right to the top, where the Umpire essentially scolded the government bureaucrats and lawyers for having dragged the process out as long as possible, when the wording of the legislation was clear and I was entitled to benefits- by the time I got them, my newborn was nearly a preschooler! At least my case helped others going through similar circumstances, as it set the precedent.) I make sure I have read the regulations on the relevant government websites before I talk to a functionary. I've been amazed at how many different responses you can get, depending on who you talk to.

I'm not trying to bash civil servants. Many are really knowledgeable, informative and helpful, but others ... not so much, especially when you point out that what they are saying contradicts the written legislation.

(This post was edited by Mim11 on Jan 31, 2016, 9:37 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4