Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

KatieONeill

Jan 18, 2016, 1:08 PM

Post #1 of 6 (6800 views)

Shortcut

Question from a work from home employee in U.S. wanting to move to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I currently live in the U.S. (am a U.S. citizen) and am considering moving to Mexico as either a long-term temporary resident or a permanent resident. My question is pertaining to the income requirements. I currently have a job where I work entirely from home for a business headquartered in another state (both U.S.). Is it possible to keep this same job and live and work from Mexico as a temporary resident? Can that income count as the income requirement?

I am not yet retirement age - only 46. The company I work for is U.S. based and has no business in Mexico at all therefore, I wouldn't be infringing on work that would otherwise be open to a Mexican citizen.

rvgringo

Jan 18, 2016, 2:50 PM

Post #2 of 6 (6780 views)

Shortcut

Re: [angelacatirina] Question from a work from home employee in U.S. wanting to move to Mexico

You can do that, but you will need to qualify for the visa by showing steady monthly income and/or significant savings untouched for a year or so. Apply at the nearest Mexican consulate when you have all your ducks in a row.

RickS

Jan 18, 2016, 4:23 PM

Post #3 of 6 (6767 views)

Shortcut

Re: [angelacatirina] Question from a work from home employee in U.S. wanting to move to Mexico

Not trying to read your mind, but.....

Another way to 'start out' achieving your goal and 'test the waters' is to enter as/on a Tourist Card. It is good for 180 days but one can leave and immediately return for another 180 days currently. This would get you over the 'income requirements' issue for a while to see if this is going to work out for you. Plenty of folks do this, generally working over the Internet.

Also keep in mind that one can only have a foreign (US) plated vehicle in Mexico if one is on a Tourist Card or a Residente Temporal. It cannot be done with/on a Residente Permanente visa.

KatieONeill

Jan 18, 2016, 5:05 PM

Post #4 of 6 (6758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Question from a work from home employee in U.S. wanting to move to Mexico

Thank you both! Good info. I appreciate your input... and mind reading. ;)

roberth

Jan 20, 2016, 9:07 AM

Post #5 of 6 (6691 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I currently live in the U.S. (am a U.S. citizen) and am considering moving to Mexico as either a long-term temporary resident or a permanent resident. My question is pertaining to the income requirements. I currently have a job where I work entirely from home for a business headquartered in another state (both U.S.). Is it possible to keep this same job and live and work from Mexico as a temporary resident? Can that income count as the income requirement?

I am not yet retirement age - only 46. The company I work for is U.S. based and has no business in Mexico at all therefore, I wouldn't be infringing on work that would otherwise be open to a Mexican citizen.

Yep, that's just what I'm doing. Even though I first moved to Monterrey, which is about 2 hours from the US border, I weighed it out, and decided that the time and expense of making bi-yearly trips to the boarder to get a new tourist VISA wasn't worth it, so I applied for a non-working RT before I moved down. I just brought in 6 months of pay stubs, which qualified for the income requirement. All in all, a very easy and relatively inexpensive process. I work online here with no issues, and can say it's definitely the best decision I've ever made. :)

Aaron+

Jan 25, 2016, 10:13 AM

Post #6 of 6 (6563 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberth] Question from a work from home employee in U.S. wanting to move to Mexico

Do confirm the availability, speed, and reliability of Internet service before settling in somewhere!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4