Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

kmetzger

Jan 15, 2016, 6:12 PM

Post #1 of 7 (9018 views)

Shortcut

Health certificate for meds

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mexican customs has impounded a package sent via UPS because it contains medications. I understand that they will release the package if I present a health certificate. Does anyone know how I can get such a certificate? What is it called in Spanish? UPS hasn't been responding to my questions. Help appreciated.
Kim

DavidHF

Jan 16, 2016, 6:38 AM

Post #2 of 7 (8964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] Health certificate for meds

Maybe it's a Prescription?

BP

Jan 16, 2016, 7:32 AM

Post #3 of 7 (8955 views)

Shortcut

I am working toward getting my MS drugs to La Paz. This week I met with a doctor. He wrote the prescription for the drug but my US health insurance company doesn't ship to Mexico. I also qualify for Biogen's, the Pharma manufacturer, financial aid program so I don't pay the $3200-$3800 a month cost or $10 co pay for this drug.
My next step, I guess, is to talk to the Pharma company. Perhaps the Pharma company or one of their distributors can ship to me in La Paz for the same zero cost. But, if there is a Health Certificate I can obtain to release the drugs, then all of this is mute and relatively easier.
It is a huge concern to be without medication.
Thank you for your post.
Beverly

rvgringo

Jan 16, 2016, 9:02 AM

Post #4 of 7 (8937 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BP] Health certificate for meds

Generally speaking, individuals are not permitted to receive medications or medical equipment from outside Mexico. There are certain agencies certified to receive them, and I think MBE used to be one of them, but they may no longer be available. Naturally, the intention is that you buy your medications in Mexico, like everything else, which is understandable. See your MD for equivalents and sources, etc.
Whatever has be held by Aduana is no likely to be released.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jan 16, 2016, 9:14 AM

Post #5 of 7 (8933 views)

Shortcut

Ric Hoffman posted to this Forum a few days ago with the link below. It's a PDF file that explains how to obtain a permit from COFEPRIS to import pharmaceuticals. It's oriented toward commercial importers, but private individuals must also obtain such a permit for each shipment. Probably best to pay a visit to your local COFEPRIS office for guidance:

Permiso de Importación de Medicamentos (PDF)

Mexican Customs (Aduana) is supposed to intercept on behalf of COFEPRIS any package that contains medications or medical products (for example, CPAP machines, masks, etc.) that is not accompanied by the above Import Permit. There are anecdotal reports that medications sent to private individuals via the post office make it through more reliably than by UPS, FedEx, or DHL. Shipments sent via these courier services arrive by air and must clear customs at a facility at the Mexico City airport, which is rumored to be quite strict. The Mexican post office has its own separate customs facility on the north side of Mexico City which is reputedly more lax about these things.

Suerte,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings..."

kmetzger

Jan 16, 2016, 9:40 AM

Post #6 of 7 (8922 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Health certificate for meds

Thanks, everybody. I ordered the meds from Canada Drugs after they said there was no problem shipping to an address in Mexico. I ordered them because they were suddenly no longer available in Mexico. The first order was placed four months ago and simply disappeared. I assume the package was confiscated by Aduana. Then I ordered them a second time in November and had them mailed to my son's place in Austin because I was going there for a visit. But the package hadn't arrived while we were visiting. After they did arrive, my son sent them via UPS.
Looks like I'll just have to abandon them because of the health certificate (Permiso Sanitario de Importación de Medicamentos) issue.

BP

Jan 17, 2016, 6:26 AM

Post #7 of 7 (8858 views)

Shortcut

Thank you so much!
One step leads to another - with the link information provided from RH's post I am up and running again. La Paz pharmacies can order the MS drug; I've already checked that out. The mail information is very important too.
So awesome, thank you.
Beverly

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4