Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Southerngal

Jan 8, 2016, 2:33 PM

Post #1 of 4 (9945 views)

Shortcut

Temp Resident to Permanent with Name Change

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will become a Permanent Resident on Aug. 1st. However, in Mexico everything is under my birth name and not my legal U.S. name (from a previous marriage/yes I'm female). I have changed my name back to my birth name with the U.S. SS dept. and I will need a judge to grant my birth name back to me so I can change my Passport. I would like to change my name here in Mexico when I apply for my Permanent Residency so I don't incur any additional charges (hoping). Is there anything I should know before I begin the process?

viktoremski

Jan 11, 2016, 11:49 AM

Post #2 of 4 (9845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Southerngal] Temp Resident to Permanent with Name Change

As far as I understand, INM or SRE always ask for apostilled and translated into spanish documents: birth certificate or court name change, whichever applies in your case. You can ask at your local INM office.

YucaLandia

Jan 11, 2016, 3:52 PM

Post #3 of 4 (9818 views)

Shortcut

You will need to get your name formally changed in the USA, and use that updated US passport to file for the Residente Permanente visa to avoid being double-charged.

If you get the Residente Permanente visa first, and then change the name on your passport, you would have to pay for an additional RP visa to change the name. (A friend just went through this when applying for Mex. citizenship, because his previous US passport used his middle initial versus using his full birth name=> INM charged him full fees for re-issuing the RP visa with his full name.)

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

YucaLandia

Jan 11, 2016, 3:53 PM

Post #4 of 4 (9814 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I will become a Permanent Resident on Aug. 1st. ...

Our personal stories can be fascinating: How do you know that you will become a Permanent Resident on August 1, 2016?

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4