Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

cathycjones

Jan 8, 2016, 9:00 AM

Post #1 of 5 (6566 views)

Shortcut

Medical disability for U.S, expats

Can't Post |
I recently fell, at school, and fractured my elbow, requiring surgery to remove pieces of bone. I now have a splint for 6 weeks mínimum, whuch is until the 1st week of February. I'v been told that since the accident happened during working hours, by Mexican law, the school must pay disability, thus a full salary. Since I know this applies to Mexican nationals, I'd like to know what my rights are as a U.S. expat. I want to be able to recognize if the school triesto cheat me out of paying me, while out. Am going back to the surgeon tomorrow to have stitches removed and see how long he recommends for my being absent from work. Does anyone know what my rights are with this?

Thanks!

rvgringo

Jan 8, 2016, 10:30 AM

Post #2 of 5 (6556 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cathycjones] Medical disability for U.S, expats

Can't Post | Private Reply
If you are working legally and have a contract, you probably have the same rights as anyone; citizen or not.

cathycjones

Jan 8, 2016, 11:17 AM

Post #3 of 5 (6547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Medical disability for U.S, expats

Can't Post |
Thanks for the reply. I have a two year contract and am in my first year.

tonyburton / Moderator

Jan 8, 2016, 12:48 PM

Post #4 of 5 (6529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cathycjones] Medical disability for U.S, expats

Can't Post | Private Reply
Assuming you have IMSS coverage, then IMSS decides when you are fit to work again. IMSS is also the source of your salary during your period off work. [I'm not sure of the current details, but IMSS used to pay only a fixed % of your full-time wage during time off work, leaving schools with the decision as to whether to make up the difference.]
An overview of Employment and Employee Benefits in Mexico can be found at http://us.practicallaw.com/3-502-9997#a344511
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

cathycjones

Jan 9, 2016, 4:59 AM

Post #5 of 5 (6476 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Medical disability for U.S, expats

Can't Post |
Thank you for the info - very helpful! :-)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4