Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Daniel55

Jan 5, 2016, 4:11 PM

Post #1 of 5 (8546 views)

Shortcut

A few questions about the temporary resident visa...

Can't Post | Private Reply
After living in Guadalajara from Jan-June of last year studying Spanish I am seriously contemplating moving there this year. I have few questions about the process of applying for a temporary resident (RT) visa. Is it possible to obtain it with permission(s) to work? I've read through (and meet) the minimum salary, and far exceed them if it includes a 401K/retirement fund. I wouldn't be in a rush to find a job, as I would prefer to improve upon my Spanish some more first. I have a solid upper-intermediate level of written/spoken Spanish. After that, I would like to look for something related to my field. I have an MA in International Commerce, with a specialization in customs compliance.

Basically, my questions are.....can I apply for the visa from the Mexican embassy in the US and will they grant it with permissions to work? Also, are there any other things I should be aware of, or that can help me?

any input would be appreciated.

sparks

Jan 5, 2016, 5:20 PM

Post #2 of 5 (8531 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Daniel55] A few questions about the temporary resident visa...

You need a confirmed job offer. No general permission and you look around when here

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

YucaLandia

Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 AM

Post #3 of 5 (8482 views)

Shortcut

You may be better off getting a Residente Permanente (RP) visa for the long term. The minimum personal fiscal solvency requirements at the Consulates (applying in USA) are much lower than INM's RP fiscal requirements (applying in Mexico later). The lower personal fiscal requirements at the Consulates are not that high, especially if you already have 401K income.

The RP visa also allows you to work, without re-filing. You simply get an official RFC, and notify INM that you have a job offer and are planning to work. That's much easier and much cheaper than filing to change an existing Residente Temporal and then waiting weeks to months for the RT con permiso de trabajo to be approved.

Lots of details on both options at:
~ Current Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico

Check out the Table of Contents at the top of the article to find the specific topics you that interest you,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jan 6, 2016, 6:05 AM)

DavidHF

Jan 6, 2016, 2:09 PM

Post #4 of 5 (8428 views)

Shortcut

Look here: http://www.chapalalaw.com/immigration-2/

Call or email them for questions and/or assistance. They are the best!

Daniel55

Jan 14, 2016, 11:46 AM

Post #5 of 5 (8210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] A few questions about the temporary resident visa...

I probably should have mentioned I don't have any retirement income or pension. I'm 35 and thus have a way to go before I get to that point. If I can count the money in my 401K, then I do meet the requirements for the RP visa.

I definitely have enough in "liquid funds" for the RT visa which might be the best option given my circumstances. I am going to contact the folks over at Chapalaw and see what advice they can offer me. @Yucalandia, thanks for the link, there is alot useful information there.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4