Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

johanson / Moderator

Jan 4, 2016, 6:06 PM

Post #1 of 15 (6971 views)

Shortcut

windows 7 VS 10

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well, I'm up in Seattle for my 3 to 4 week January visit. And I had my favorite windows 7 laptop with me, which broke and I will able to get fixed for a few hundred pesos once I get back and a smaller Windows 10 tablet laptop.
Darn, I know Windows 10 gets better the more you use it and darn, I almost like it but why does this always happen when I am traveling. Oh well, at least the Seattle Windows store is only about 4 miles from the condo and they give free windows 10 classes at 11 AM each morning

johanson / Moderator

Jan 5, 2016, 5:11 PM

Post #2 of 15 (6950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] windows 7 VS 10

I went to a Windows store today and took a class on Windows 10. I talked to several of the staff and asked them what kind of internet speed they had at the Windows store and no one knew. It wasn't important.
Now I know why. L did a wifi speed test on my iPhone and got a download speed of 109.36 by 129.53 megs up. I couldn't believe it so next I went home and just ran this test

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4972093461]

I guess the world is different up here. And the speeds are so fast, no one thinks about it. What a world.

However I still love it in Mexico and can hardly wait to get back to 9 down by 0.8 up

chinagringo

Jan 5, 2016, 6:06 PM

Post #3 of 15 (6944 views)

Shortcut

Maybe if you were to be paying higher prices for gas in Mexico, they could afford the Internet infrastructure improvements that you so desire for higher speeds? I question this "need for speed" for the average Internet user? It seems to be an "I want" issue so that I can brag about it. We had 50 mbps service through cable but got fed up with repeated price increases in spite of a price guarantee. So we chose a different route and dropped to "up to 20mbps service". With the exception of uploading large photo files, we don't even notice the difference in speed.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Jan 5, 2016, 7:30 PM

Post #4 of 15 (6939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] windows 7 VS 10

I hear where you are coming from Neil. I was supposed to get 100 up by 100 down which they can't provide me, so they dropped the price.
The internet is so economical up here in Amazon/Microsoft land that we don't even think of the speeds. I just know that the cost is less than $20 US per month here.
Of course the prices are pretty good in Mexico too, where we get unlimited long distance calling all over most of the world and including internet we only pay $599 pesos per month or at a spot rate of 17.25 that equates to less than $35 US per month

johanson / Moderator

Jan 15, 2016, 7:34 PM

Post #5 of 15 (6888 views)

Shortcut

Well, it's the 15th and I have been using the new Microsoft Surface book which is a 13.5 inch tablet and/or laptop since the 4th. It's been Windows 10 the whole time.

Thank God I didn't haven't a working windows 7 laptop around up here in Seattle because if I were to have had one, I would not have been forced to use the new Windows 10 Format. I am beginning to like Windows 10 specially a unit like mine which can either be used as my old fashioned laptop or as a touch screen using either the on screen keyboard or the actual keyboard should it be attached to the screen

Yes I did take one 45 minute class at the Microsoft Store and yes I did by a book on Amazon called "Windows 10 for Seniors".

So far I haven't needed the book, but it will come in handy as I learn how to do more fun things on this new machine.

roberb7

Jan 16, 2016, 7:11 AM

Post #6 of 15 (6870 views)

Shortcut

One thing that's important to know is, Windoze 10 is loaded with spyware. Here's a guide on how to get rid of much of it: [GUIDE] How to disable data logging in W10
And note two more suggestions at the bottom: used Firefox or Chrome instead of Edge, and VLC instead of Windoze Media Player.

(This post was edited by roberb7 on Jan 16, 2016, 7:12 AM)

joaquinx

Jan 16, 2016, 8:15 AM

Post #7 of 15 (6868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberb7] windows 7 VS 10

In Reply To
One thing that's important to know is, Windoze 10 is loaded with spyware. Here's a guide on how to get rid of much of it: [GUIDE] How to disable data logging in W10
And note two more suggestions at the bottom: used Firefox or Chrome instead of Edge, and VLC instead of Windoze Media Player.

There was one last suggestion and that was to replace Windows 10 with Ubuntu.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

johanson / Moderator

Jan 29, 2016, 3:06 PM

Post #8 of 15 (6803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] windows 7 VS 10

It took me long enough to get used to Windows 10, no Ubuntu for me. It would take too long to learn at my age.
Oh and I was able to repair my old Windows 7 myself, and it sits right next to my Windows 10 on my desk back here in Mexico. Well I definitely like my Windows 10 better, spyware and all :) and I use said Windows 10 Microsoft surface book about 90% of the time.

chinagringo

Jan 29, 2016, 5:29 PM

Post #9 of 15 (6791 views)

Shortcut

Pete:
Some Windows 10 tricks:

http://www.usatoday.com/...need--know/79350692/

Rumor has it that the Seahawks failed to real this article and their tablets didn't work correctly against Carolina. Oh wait a minute, that may have been one of the excuses used by the Patriots?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

joaquinx

Feb 22, 2016, 6:19 AM

Post #10 of 15 (6688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] windows 7 VS 10

Windows 10 has a small (?) problem with spying. http://goo.gl/CPG1e9
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

johanson / Moderator

Feb 22, 2016, 9:15 AM

Post #11 of 15 (6677 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] windows 7 VS 10

I figure most anything I post on line or say over my land line or over cell phone is subject to someone listening or watching, especially when I post on sites like Facebook which I do.
So I try never to do anything using any of the above if I do not want others to know what I said or wrote.
It would be nice, though, if Windows 10 would tighten up their security.

RuralPuebla

Aug 29, 2016, 5:50 PM

Post #12 of 15 (5847 views)

Shortcut

If someone installs Linux (Ubuntu is only one of many versions) for you, it isn't hard to learn. But, if there is no one close to help if you get stuck, then, yes, it is probably a bad idea. Linux user since 1999 a couple years after I retired.

zubairkhanzhk

Sep 29, 2017, 12:19 AM

Post #13 of 15 (1300 views)

Shortcut

window 10 always forever

johanson / Moderator

Sep 29, 2017, 1:39 AM

Post #14 of 15 (1298 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zubairkhanzhk] windows 7 VS 10

I am very used to Windows 10 and it does everything I need. It is only one of several good solutions. I guess because I have an SSD (solid state drive) my Windows 10 is very fast.

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 29, 2017, 1:41 AM)

mattoleriver

Oct 6, 2017, 2:05 PM

Post #15 of 15 (1205 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
...It took me long enough to get used to Windows 10, no Ubuntu for me. It would take too long to learn at my age....

I'm a very casual computer user, I've never used a computer for anything but my own personal usage---about 99% email, message boards and shopping. I started on DOS and gave up almost immediately. After a few years without a computer I tried again starting with Windows 95, then a Mac and finally settled on Linux. For a casual user, such as myself, I think that switching between operating systems is not much more complicated than switching between a Ford and a Chevy.
Most recently I switched to a Chromebook and added Ubuntu to it. So far it is fast and bulletproof and I can switch between operating systems with one click of the mouse. I have the simplicity of the Chromebook backed up by a full Linux OS for those times when I need more than just a browser. Perfect---and getting better!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4