Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

YucaLandia

Dec 29, 2015, 10:09 PM

Post #1 of 26 (7854 views)

Shortcut

Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

Can't Post | Private Reply
The price of gasoline in Mexico drops 3% on January 1st, 2016 !

Magna "verde" drops to $13.16/L (currently at $13.57/L) ... Premium "roja" drops to $13.68/L ... and Diesel "negra" will be $13.77 per litre.

More details at:
http://yucalandia.com/...rices-on-jan-1-2016/

Happy Holidays,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 29, 2015, 10:12 PM)

johanson

Dec 30, 2015, 9:26 AM

Post #2 of 26 (7816 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

Great news. I've been here some 17 years, and to the best of my knowledge this is the first time that they have ever (during my 17 years) dropped the price. GREAT NEWS.
Am I correct? Is this about the first time for them to do this?

chicois8

Dec 30, 2015, 12:04 PM

Post #3 of 26 (7792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

In Reply To
Great news. I've been here some 17 years, and to the best of my knowledge this is the first time that they have ever (during my 17 years) dropped the price. GREAT NEWS.
Am I correct? Is this about the first time for them to do this?

What are going to buy with your 2 cent savings per liter?
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

johanson

Dec 30, 2015, 2:01 PM

Post #4 of 26 (7778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

What is great is not so much this very small drop in price, but the fact that Pemex has for the first time (that I remember) has lowered the price instead of always increasing it because of the market rate or cost of gas.
I was expecting another rate increase.

chinagringo

Dec 30, 2015, 6:10 PM

Post #5 of 26 (7751 views)

Shortcut

Once again, I continue to be flabbergasted by this NOB fixation over the price of gas! Let us use Pete as an example (since he is making a big deal out of this). He has previously bragged that he only fills his tank once a month, so I can see that this 2 cent US drop in price greatly impacts his disposable income! When one is only using one tank of gas per month, then how does this expense rank in the big picture?

As we have repeatedly been told, having a Bank of America account linked to a Merrill Lynch account saves one certain fees when using the ATM's in Mexico. So maybe forming a money management company that takes the saved ATM fees and combines them with the saved 2 cents per gallon on gas is a real opportunity for a new Investment Fund?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

cbviajero

Dec 30, 2015, 6:24 PM

Post #6 of 26 (7747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

In Reply To

What are going to buy with your 2 cent savings per liter?

Save it up and maybe buy a couple tacos with it in year or two?

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Dec 30, 2015, 6:27 PM)

johanson

Dec 30, 2015, 10:07 PM

Post #7 of 26 (7727 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

You guys don't get it. It is the principle here. Instead of the price always going up, just maybe the prices will better follow the actual cost of the product, something that I have never seen before in Mexico
Oh, according to Gas Buddy, the average cost of a gallon of gas in Seattle is $2.55
And for you Neil, it's been really sunny, but a little cold up here in Seattle. You know how you love to hear about how I feel about weather in Seattle (not) :)
That ought to get more posts :)

playaboy

Dec 31, 2015, 4:51 AM

Post #8 of 26 (7714 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

With the price of fuel much higher than the USA, it is only a matter of time before someone starts stealing gas tankers in Texas and smuggles it into Mexico. We might start seeing higher quality gasoline.

stevebrtx

Dec 31, 2015, 8:11 AM

Post #9 of 26 (7690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

All in all it was a pretty good year, lots of rain, the CFE and Telmex kept it together so we had little trouble with the weather station (compared to grueling years before) and now a year end present, as Pete says, it's the principle of the thing. It probably doesn't mean much to gringos, but I'd bet some of the local folks appreciate it.

sparks

Dec 31, 2015, 9:02 AM

Post #10 of 26 (7683 views)

Shortcut

Electric is going down 2% also

If Pemex thinks it needs prices high here ..... how can they compete in the States

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

cbviajero

Dec 31, 2015, 10:48 AM

Post #11 of 26 (7669 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

In Reply To
With the price of fuel much higher than the USA, it is only a matter of time before someone starts stealing gas tankers in Texas and smuggles it into Mexico. We might start seeing higher quality gasoline.

I've never experienced problems with the quality of gasoline here. When they don't sell "litros de a litros"is when I get annoyed.

YucaLandia

Dec 31, 2015, 10:57 AM

Post #12 of 26 (7665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

In Reply To
Electric is going down 2% also

If Pemex thinks it needs prices high here ..... how can they compete in the States

Very interesting.

Do you have a reference or source for the specifics of the CFE 2016 "electricity going down 2%" ?

Lower CFE prices to CFE customers seems to be the opposite of the Camara de Diputados 2016 budget, issued on Nov. 13, 2015.

CFE's budget was cut -4.8% vs their 2015 budget, which makes it curious to imagine real reductions in our power bills, at the same time that the legislature cut CFE's subsidies from the federal government(?)

Cutting the CFE's bills charged to the customers (us), on top of a 5% loss of federal subsidies to CFE seems weird - especially since CFE already reported record losses for 2015.

But ... This Is Mexico (TIM), so 'Energy Reforms' may not make sense to NOB-gringo logic ?

Unless, they are adopting 'trickle down' economics, where less is more?

Cut CFE's subsidies from the federal govt., cut CFE's revenues received from customers, and expect CFE's net profits to rise.

... a 'reform' plan embraced and loved in other places. (?) ;)

Happy Holidays!
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 31, 2015, 11:04 AM)

mcm

Dec 31, 2015, 12:22 PM

Post #13 of 26 (7651 views)

Shortcut

Re, electric rates will be reduced 2% beginning January 1 - here
http://yucatan.com.mx/mexico/economia-mexico/bajaran-tarifas-electricas-2

(This post was edited by mcm on Dec 31, 2015, 3:07 PM)

yucatandreamer

Dec 31, 2015, 1:50 PM

Post #14 of 26 (7635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

I could not get your link to work but here is another link: http://yucatan.com.mx/mexico/economia-mexico/bajaran-tarifas-electricas-2

fishfrier

Dec 31, 2015, 1:53 PM

Post #15 of 26 (7634 views)

Shortcut

Page 5 of today's Diario de Yucatan, Economia section.

sparks

Dec 31, 2015, 3:02 PM

Post #16 of 26 (7624 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fishfrier] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

http://eleconomista.com.mx/...aran-2-2016-hacienda

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

DavidHF

Jan 1, 2016, 8:56 AM

Post #17 of 26 (7573 views)

Shortcut

Front page of Friday's edition of the Mexico City News, english language paper from DF.

(This post was edited by DavidHF on Jan 1, 2016, 8:56 AM)

YucaLandia

Jan 1, 2016, 6:44 PM

Post #18 of 26 (7534 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

Love it...

Our best logic sometimes produces an entirely wrong answer. ;)

I'm going to hold my breath, to see what happens with our next CFE bills, to see if it's an across the board 3% rate cut - cutting all 3 rates (basico, intermedio, y excedente) - and to see if CFE dorks with the govt. subsidized thresholds (150 kWh, 300 kWh, etc).

unless...
CFE cuts our household rates by a real 3%, but simultaneously raises their rates for commercial, retail, and industrial clients ?

Time will tell.

Happy New Year !
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

stevebrtx

Jan 2, 2016, 6:15 AM

Post #19 of 26 (7507 views)

Shortcut

That hardly scratches the surface. I'm at $010KWH and the more I use the lower it goes.

rioesmarex

Jan 25, 2016, 12:43 PM

Post #20 of 26 (7203 views)

Shortcut

Not before time .... At 13.57 per liter that works out to $2.82 a gallon at today's exchange rate.
Considering today's oil prices, that's tantamount to outright and disgusting thievery/extortion.
Mexico's average income is probably ten times less than the U.S., yet their gas costs almost 3 times as much.
Pemex seems to be a law unto itself with no form of govt. or judicial control. They charge whatever they feel they can get away with or whatever the public will allow.
Amazing that the new Pemex stations in Houston Texas are only charging $150 a gallon
Corruption and bribery/kickbacks is alive and well in Mexico
I feel so sorry for the Mexican people having to put up with these outrageous prices

RickS

Jan 25, 2016, 2:37 PM

Post #21 of 26 (7189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rioesmarex] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

Well, I'm not too sure that you are up on the situation vis a vie Pemex and the Mexican government. Pemex, Petróleos Mexicanos, is since the 1930'a a State owned company created by nationalization (expropriation?) of private and international companies.

So while this alone does not sanction the high prices, it kind of does operate with 'laws unto itself' but certainly under the control of El Gobernent.

YucaLandia

Jan 25, 2016, 2:46 PM

Post #22 of 26 (7188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rioesmarex] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

In Reply To
Not before time .... At 13.57 per liter that works out to $2.82 a gallon at today's exchange rate.
Considering today's oil prices, that's tantamount to outright and disgusting thievery/extortion.

Mexico's average income is probably ten times less than the U.S., yet their gas costs almost 3 times as much.
Pemex seems to be a law unto itself with no form of govt. or judicial control. They charge whatever they feel they can get away with or whatever the public will allow.
Amazing that the new Pemex stations in Houston Texas are only charging $150 a gallon
Corruption and bribery/kickbacks is alive and well in Mexico
I feel so sorry for the Mexican people having to put up with these outrageous prices

"yet their gas costs almost 3 times as much"

Wow !

We're traveling back to the USA next month, and I can hardly wait to fill up our gas tanks for just 94cents a gallon for US fuel.

Woo HOO !

Just where in the USA does one buy gasoline for 94 cents a gallon?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jan 25, 2016, 2:48 PM)

RickS

Jan 25, 2016, 3:06 PM

Post #23 of 26 (7184 views)

Shortcut

Yuc, while I know you were being facetious about the 94c thing, there are places around the US (Ohio, S. Carolina, Texas) where gas is being sold in the mid $1.20s to $1.30s! .... and dropping daily.

johanson

Jan 25, 2016, 5:05 PM

Post #24 of 26 (7170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Lower Mexican Gasoline Prices on Jan. 1, 2016

Really; while watching the nightly news there were or are occasionally places selling gasoline for less than $1.00 per gallon in the south-central US. And I do not remember where because I was in Seattle and it was nowhere close to us less than a week ago.

I must add that happily I am now back in Central Mexico. I'm in Ajijic, along the shores of Lake Chapala, to be exact and the inside temperature at 7 PM is 70 F (21 C) inside and 66 F (19 C) outside. I guess it's time to start the fireplace and burn up some more tree trimmings.

rioesmarex

Jan 31, 2016, 8:26 PM

Post #25 of 26 (6989 views)

Shortcut

As of Sunday Jan 31st .... per gasbuddy.com average price of regular in Brownsville is $1.45 per gallon and occasionally a few cents less. Other places in the U.S. are down to $1.30 a gallon
After conversion that's about 6.90 pesos per liter
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4