Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

GodsGiftToMexico

Dec 29, 2015, 8:53 PM

Post #1 of 8 (4887 views)

Shortcut

Can I get a TIP for a small 10 passenger school bus ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I got my Residencia Permanente visa for Mexico two weeks ago at a Mexican consulate here in California. My ideal destination is Mazatlan, which is NOT in the free zone. I am considering buying a very used (1995) small (10 passengers) school bus to transport my belongings there. I do NOT have the time or the means to transform it into an RV or housecar before my trip.

According to my research, I cannot get a TIP online for it (it weighs 10,000 pounds).

Will those El Chapo's nephews at the border give me a TIP for it ? Will the deposit be $200, just like for a 20 year old car ?

I will probably be crossing at Mexicali, which is part of the free zone. If they don't give me a TIP at the border, will they at least let me cross the border with the bus ? I could then drive to the San Carlos area (still part of the free zone), find storage for the bus and belongings, continue to Mazatlan without either, buy a car in Mazatlan, and little by little pick my stuff up in or near San Carlos.

How about driver's licensewise ? In California, I need to get a commercial driver's license (CDL) to legally drive the bus. Will it be good enough to drive it in Mexico too, at least at the beginning ? What if I don't get the CDL and drive it illegally in California. Would driving it in Mexico with my regular class C driver's license be legal ?

Farmers insurance agreed to insure the bus here in the US. Any Mexican insurance that would agree to insure it too ?

Is there a phone number, with English speaking people, where I can ask these questions and get some answers ?

Thanks,

GodsGiftToMexico
-----------------------------------------------
God's Gift To Mexico
http://PuntaBanda.org

rvgringo

Dec 30, 2015, 9:10 AM

Post #2 of 8 (4860 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GodsGiftToMexico] Can I get a TIP for a small 10 passenger school bus ?

It is not a practical plan, as the vehicle is commercial, you would need a “chofer“ license, and Mexican insurance even if you could get an Importada Temporal, which is doubtful at best. I would scratch that plan.

playaboy

Dec 30, 2015, 9:40 AM

Post #3 of 8 (4858 views)

Shortcut

I agree with RV. You might consider the pick-up truck and cargo trailer method used by us to move.

RickS

Dec 30, 2015, 11:06 AM

Post #4 of 8 (4845 views)

Shortcut

The OP suggests that he has Permanente visa status. A TIP is not allowed with that visa at all, much less a 10,000# bus.
Am I missing something?

If you are looking for insurance answers in English, you could call either Lewis & Lewis or San Xavier Insurance companies (Mexican Insurance) here in the US.

rvgringo

Dec 30, 2015, 1:43 PM

Post #5 of 8 (4833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Can I get a TIP for a small 10 passenger school bus ?

I forgot that point. With a Residente Permanente, he cannot drive any foreign plated vehicle in Mexico unless it belongs to someone else and that person is present in the vehicle.
He will have to fly into Mexico, buy a vehicle there, then go back for his stuff in small loads. Positioning it at a US border town storage facility would probably help.

GodsGiftToMexico

Dec 30, 2015, 2:01 PM

Post #6 of 8 (4833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Can I get a TIP for a small 10 passenger school bus ?

In Reply To
The OP suggests that he has Permanente visa status. A TIP is not allowed with that visa at all, much less a 10,000# bus.
Am I missing something?

If you are looking for insurance answers in English, you could call either Lewis & Lewis or San Xavier Insurance companies (Mexican Insurance) here in the US.

Thank you all for your input. I have a Residencia Permanente visa on my passport, not a permanent residence status. My understanding of Mexican immigration law is that I will acquire such status a couple of months AFTER I enter Mexico, and that, in the mean time, I can get a TIP for a regular car.

My current thinking is to put most of my stuff into storage here in California, fill my 23 year old Corolla with some of my stuff, and get a TIP for the Corolla.
-----------------------------------------------
God's Gift To Mexico
http://PuntaBanda.org

playaboy

Dec 31, 2015, 5:06 AM

Post #7 of 8 (4807 views)

Shortcut

Rick might be correct about possible issues of having a RP visa in your passport and acquiring a TIP.

You are in CA so I assume you received your approval at a consulate there. San Bernardino, Sac, and LA have a Banjercito window to process TIP's. You might try to process there to avoid issues at the border.

Let us know how it turns out.

sparks

Dec 31, 2015, 9:11 AM

Post #8 of 8 (4786 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Thank you all for your input. I have a Residencia Permanente visa on my passport, not a permanent residence status. My understanding of Mexican immigration law is that I will acquire such status a couple of months AFTER I enter Mexico, and that, in the mean time, I can get a TIP for a regular car.

Not a couple months .... within 30 days of crossing the border. I wouldn't drive that bus to the border with only hopes of bringing it in

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4