Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

cathycjones

Dec 27, 2015, 12:29 PM

Post #1 of 17 (11573 views)

Shortcut

Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

Can't Post |
I currently hold an FM3 that expires in July. In July, will it be possible to convert the FM3 to a tourist visa, instead of renewing it? I might be changing schools and the new school contracts English teachers as volunteers who have tourist visas. I won't be wanting to stay in mexico for another year and wll be moving on to Central America,
thanks

RickS

Dec 27, 2015, 1:13 PM

Post #2 of 17 (11567 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cathycjones] Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
Short answer.... no.

cathycjones

Dec 27, 2015, 1:24 PM

Post #3 of 17 (11565 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

Can't Post |
Thanks for the reply. So, if I want to continue on a tourist visa, is it safe to asume that I'd need to return to the states to get a tourist visa?

RickS

Dec 27, 2015, 1:31 PM

Post #4 of 17 (11562 views)

Shortcut

Either to a US border or maybe Belize if you are close to there....

rvgringo

Dec 27, 2015, 2:07 PM

Post #5 of 17 (11550 views)

Shortcut

You cannot work with a tourist permit. The school may be putting you at risk.

La Isla

Dec 27, 2015, 2:17 PM

Post #6 of 17 (11547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

In Reply To

What rv means is that you can't work legally if you're here on a tourist permit. Do you really want to work for a school that hires teachers illegally to get out of paying them properly and providing them with the benefits dictated by the law?

YucaLandia

Dec 27, 2015, 2:20 PM

Post #7 of 17 (11544 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Corrections:
~ There have been no "tourist" visas since Oct. 2012.

~ There are 180 day visitante visas with permission to work.

It's been tough killing-off the rumors started by Canadian John, (Sonia's husband), when he mistakenly announced that Residente Temporal visa holders could not work and that visitors visa holders somehow were also not allowed to work.

Once started, rumors take on lives of their own, but we're slowly corraling the cats.

Happy Holidays,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 27, 2015, 2:25 PM)

rvgringo

Dec 27, 2015, 2:28 PM

Post #8 of 17 (11530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

Many would need more information on 180 day visitor permits allowing work. Please post more details.

cathycjones

Dec 27, 2015, 2:37 PM

Post #9 of 17 (11528 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

Can't Post |
I've been working in Mexico for 18 mos. on a work visa and am fully aware about working legally vs. illegally. My question was about converting my work visa to a tourist visa. With all due respect, I'm neither putting myself at any risk, nor interested in opinions or warnings about what I'm doing, given that I haven't provided details about the school, which happens to be very reputable,
I now know that to continue at the school past July, I'd need to either renew my work visa or return to the states for a tourist visa. Thanks to those who privided that info and kindly refrain from posting questions or advise cautioning me about what I'm doind, since so many details are unknown and I know that there is absolutely no risk with the school,
Saludos y gracias, y feliz ano nuevo! :-)

chinagringo

Dec 27, 2015, 4:04 PM

Post #10 of 17 (11521 views)

Shortcut

There are scattered anecdotal reports of Immigration cracking down on the "perpetual tourist" now that they have been able to upgrade records in their computer system. We all have known that the 180 day tourist permit or visa was initially designed to track actual tourists and it is my belief that Immigration has also been acutely aware of residents either using this loophole to avoid the true legal process or as an avenue to enter the country and live there illegally. Imagine that - Mexico has its own base of illegal foreigners!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Dec 28, 2015, 3:48 AM

Post #11 of 17 (11483 views)

Shortcut

Every INM offices does things a little differently. The only sure answer is to ask your local INM office. They could have a process to do exactly what you ask. Time is on your side.

Nice retort to the so-called experts. Gave me a chuckle.

DavidHF

Dec 31, 2015, 9:14 AM

Post #12 of 17 (11272 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

Apparently so. I'm wondering which one gave her an FM-3 which has been gone for several years!

cathycjones

Jan 8, 2016, 8:46 AM

Post #13 of 17 (11128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

Can't Post |
I might be mistaken in calling my work visa an FM3, since that's the terminology I've seen online. Regardless, whatever what I have is called, it's oficial permission to work in Mexico. Saludos!!

bronco

Jan 8, 2016, 8:53 AM

Post #14 of 17 (11125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

maybe off topic but these 24/7 all year tourists spend $$$. i do understand by paying for a visa it brings in more cash. its all about the money.

rvgringo

Jan 8, 2016, 10:23 AM

Post #15 of 17 (11116 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I might be mistaken in calling my work visa an FM3, since that's the terminology I've seen online. Regardless, whatever what I have is called, it's oficial permission to work in Mexico. Saludos!!

I think so. You probably have a Residente Temporal visa with lucrativa endorsement; permission to work at a specific job. A tourist permit does not permit working in Mexico.

(This post was edited by rvgringo on Jan 8, 2016, 10:27 AM)

playaboy

Jan 8, 2016, 2:45 PM

Post #16 of 17 (11096 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
A tourist permit does not permit working in Mexico.

Not quite correct.

On the FMM you can enter Mexico with a "Visitante Activado Remunerada" for up to 180 days. In box #9 you check the negocio box and the INM officer fills in the appropriate boxes in the "Uso Oficial" sections.

There are many people that come to Mexico on business trips. Over many years, my brother earns money in Mexico and has never lived in Mexico. He works with a few maquiladora in the TJ area. Taxes are paid and it is all legal.

rvgringo

Jan 9, 2016, 8:14 AM

Post #17 of 17 (11057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Converting an FM3 to a tourist visa

It is true that visiting businessmen or professionals may use the FMM, a multi-purpose form, also used as a simple tourist permit. That status does not permit working in Mexico for the visiting tourist.
I wonder if the OP could get a “visiting teacher“ permission to work after expiration of the current Residente Temporal Lucrativa. Maybe? Perhaps it would be worth a trip to INM to ask; then post the outcome here.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4