Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

GodsGiftToMexico

Dec 24, 2015, 6:58 AM

Post #1 of 20 (13230 views)

Shortcut

Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
6 years ago, I spent 5 weeks in Mexico. I drove there and back. I got an FMT document. But I am 90% to 99% confident that I didn't turn it in when I left. I wasn't aware of such requirements, and, as far as I remember, I just drove my car out of Mexico, showed my US passport to the US border agent, and home I went.

I did not get a car import permit. So, no issues there.

Now, I have a Mexican permanent resident visa on my passport, and want to go to Mexico to finish the immigration process at an INM office ? On my way there, I need an FMM permit.

I am reading online that those El Chapo's nephews are fining people who failed to turn their FMT in. Is that information still valid ? What would the fine be in my case ? How much down can I negotiate it ? I haven't decided yet whether to fly or drive there. Which ones are more likely to either not fine me or fine me the least ? The agents at the border with the US, or the agents I would encounter if I fly there ?
-----------------------------------------------
God's Gift To Mexico
http://PuntaBanda.org

rvgringo

Dec 24, 2015, 8:39 AM

Post #2 of 20 (13217 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GodsGiftToMexico] Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

You are both too worried and too confused. Just go to Mexico by whichever transport suits your fancy and quit worrying about fines. You may enter Mexico within 180 days of your consular approval. Within 30 days of crossing, you must report to INM serving your destination and provide them with proof of residence to begin the completion process for your residence visa, which can take a couple of months. They will give you a letter with a unique number and a website to track the progress of your application, so that you know when to return to INM for payment, fingerprints, card pickup, etc.
If you drive, get your Importada Temporal at the border and be sure to notify Aduana formally of your change of INM status within no more than 15 days of being fingerprinted. Failure to do so on time will cause your vehicle deposit to be lost and the legality of the vehicle to be in question.

GodsGiftToMexico

Dec 24, 2015, 8:45 AM

Post #3 of 20 (13216 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

Thanks RV Gringo for your reply. But you haven't answered any of my questions regarding my past FMT from 6 years ago and my very likely failure to have returned it.
God's Gift To Mexico

rvgringo

Dec 24, 2015, 8:55 AM

Post #4 of 20 (13214 views)

Shortcut

That FMT went to FMT heaven when it expired. As long as you did not get a car permit 6 years ago, you are OK. If you did get a previous car permit and failed to have it removed and receipted by Banjercito, you may not take another car into Mexico, so would have to fly and buy a Mexican car; which is not a bad idea anyway.

chinagringo

Dec 24, 2015, 9:07 AM

Post #5 of 20 (13213 views)

Shortcut

Like ourselves, it appears that you may be receiving bad and inaccurate advice. We got caught with expired FMT's and the initial fine (before negotiating) was $5USD per day past expiration. Granted six years ago, the computer systems weren't what they are today but they had a simple system back then.

Based upon our experience, there is one way you can be caught: if you were using the same Passport book back then, you will be missing a stamp that they would have made when cancelling the FMT. That is exactly how one of us was initially caught. If you have renewed your Passport in the years since exiting, they won't be able to find the initial entry stamp and hopefully you are home free?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

GodsGiftToMexico

Dec 24, 2015, 9:31 AM

Post #6 of 20 (13207 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

In Reply To
Like ourselves, it appears that you may be receiving bad and inaccurate advice. We got caught with expired FMT's and the initial fine (before negotiating) was $5USD per day past expiration. Granted six years ago, the computer systems weren't what they are today but they had a simple system back then.

Based upon our experience, there is one way you can be caught: if you were using the same Passport book back then, you will be missing a stamp that they would have made when cancelling the FMT. That is exactly how one of us was initially caught. If you have renewed your Passport in the years since exiting, they won't be able to find the initial entry stamp and hopefully you are home free?

Hi Neil,

What was your initial fine, how much did you negotiate it down to, and did you succeed negotiating it that low the first time around ? I read online a story of a guy who went back three times before he found an immigration official willing to negotiate his $2,000 fine down to about $300.

$5 a day for 6 years and 4 months (without counting the couple of months it would take me to show up at the border) is $11,550. Obviously, that's insane. Maybe not more insane than what happened to a guy I heard of, who drove a new car into Mexico without a permit, and authorities simply seized his car. With laws like these, it makes me question the wisdom of setting foot at all in Mexico.

I have the same passport I had back then, just checked it, and the INM stamp is there. I hadn't noticed it before, so, when I applied for the immigrant visa, the only copy I handed to the consulate is the copy of the main page. I did state in the application form that I was in Mexico in 2009, but I don't know whether the consular agent noticed the entry stamp, without corresponding exist stamp, on my passport.
God's Gift To Mexico

chinagringo

Dec 24, 2015, 11:24 AM

Post #7 of 20 (13197 views)

Shortcut

Our initial quote for a fine was $900USD: 2 people x 90 days each x $5USD. Between waiting for Immigration Jefe to arrive and a lengthy negotiation session, we burned close to three hours before settling for $400 USD cash only with no receipt.

I might suggest having a dog use your current Passport as a chew toy or somehow spill some acid on the book to damage it. Then you have a good excuse to get a new Passport with clean pages. Even paying for overnight expedited service would be cheaper than what you might run into with Mexican Immigration and who could predict how much time you might waste?

In a bit, please check your private message box as I have some more to say that I don't wish to be made public.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

GodsGiftToMexico

Dec 25, 2015, 2:11 PM

Post #8 of 20 (13133 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

In Reply To
Our initial quote for a fine was $900USD: 2 people x 90 days each x $5USD. Between waiting for Immigration Jefe to arrive and a lengthy negotiation session, we burned close to three hours before settling for $400 USD cash only with no receipt.

I might suggest having a dog use your current Passport as a chew toy or somehow spill some acid on the book to damage it. Then you have a good excuse to get a new Passport with clean pages. Even paying for overnight expedited service would be cheaper than what you might run into with Mexican Immigration and who could predict how much time you might waste?

In a bit, please check your private message box as I have some more to say that I don't wish to be made public.

Thanks Neil for the information and the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have a dog and I am too scared of using acid. My current thinking is to show up at the border in my car. If they accept that I pay a few hundred dollars, I will do so. If not, I will simply not enter Mexico, wait three and half years for my passport to expire, and try again.

From what I found out online though from the guy who negotiated his fine from $2,000 down to about $300, they have computerized records going back to 1996. So, a new passport in 3.5 years might not help. Mexico's loss. I can always change my name to GodsGiftToPuertoRico.
God's Gift To Mexico

(This post was edited by GodsGiftToMexico on Dec 25, 2015, 2:12 PM)

Moisheh

Jan 1, 2016, 4:43 PM

Post #9 of 20 (13023 views)

Shortcut

There are no records for La migra issuing FMT's going back to 1997! They are filed under B for Basura. Even today they do not check those things. There are thousands of Gringos who never turn in their FMM's. Car permits are tracked. But Immigration at Nogales does not even have a computer in the office.

playaboy

Jan 2, 2016, 5:34 AM

Post #10 of 20 (13001 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

Moisheh things are changing. Most, if not all, the border crossings including the 21km check point in Nogales have been computerized for a couple of years. The officer has a passport scanner and a bar code reader hooked up to a computer that has an online connection. Your crossing records appears in front of the officers eyes immediately.

Passport stamps don't have the same importance as they once did. It is the computer records that count.

In my case ,they scan my passport, FMM, and my resident card each time and every time I enter or exit Mexico at every crossing (14 land, 4 international airports) I have used the last 2 years. I have never had a problem checking out or in to Mexico

God's Gift, you will probably be ok since it was 6 years ago. Just make sure the new FMM is filled out correctly, especially when you apply for your TIP

(This post was edited by playaboy on Jan 2, 2016, 5:48 AM)

Moisheh

Jan 2, 2016, 8:59 AM

Post #11 of 20 (12990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

Playaboy. I have seen the scanner but I don't see a keyboard anywhere. Regardless they may have the info but I don't think they do anything with that info. I have turned in expired FMM's and not turned them in. If they had a convenient booth to return them I would turn it in every time. I flew out on the 19th and had to turn in my FMM. I asked to keep it as I would be driving back on the 23rd. No such luck but the nice young lady told me I should have gotten a new one the last time I entered Mexico and kept the old one. She says that frequent crossers often have 2 FMM's. Go figure. I doubt they had canceled the info from my old one but still issued a new one. Do you remember in the days before the Hologram. An old guy in a dirty green uniform would type out your application . The typewriter was from the Smithsonian.. One year we returned and my wife did not throw out her old permit. They gave us a big lecture but issued a new one. Then the fellow threw the old one in the garbage!

GodsGiftToMexico

Oct 8, 2016, 3:18 PM

Post #12 of 20 (10345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

Just a quick update on this story, mostly for the benefit of people who will face such an issue in the future. Mexico has finally received God's gift to her on October 1 (a week ago). I had let my original visa expire without entering Mexico, then got a second one in September.

I entered by car at the San Ysidro/Tijuana crossing. The immigration officer at the border didn't mention anything about my past FMM or FMT, or whatever it was that I got back in 2009. She just gave me a new 30 day FMM, which I took to the INM office (along with the application) two days ago.

Once I applied for the immigrant card, I was told to check the status at
https://www.inm.gob.mx/tramites/publico/seguimiento-tramite.html

I was told to enter my "Pieza" (not to be confused with Pizza) number. But, at the form, I see that it asks for a password. And nothing seems to happen when I click on the blue buttons.

Should I just wait a week and go back to the INM office to check the status in person. I have yet to give them three photos and get my fingerprints taken.
God's Gift To Mexico

rvgringo

Oct 8, 2016, 4:39 PM

Post #13 of 20 (10335 views)

Shortcut

Did they give you a Tramite letter with a NUT, which is a unique number identifying your tramite? It also contains a contrasigna, or password, which you must use. That letter is also the INM document that you must carry in lieu of an INM visa card, until it is issued. So, do not lose it & do not try to leave Mexico with it, without getting a letter of permission from INM in an emergency.

(This post was edited by rvgringo on Oct 8, 2016, 4:42 PM)

GodsGiftToMexico

Oct 8, 2016, 6:10 PM

Post #14 of 20 (10330 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Did they give you a Tramite letter with a NUT, which is a unique number identifying your tramite? It also contains a contrasigna, or password, which you must use. That letter is also the INM document that you must carry in lieu of an INM visa card, until it is issued. So, do not lose it & do not try to leave Mexico with it, without getting a letter of permission from INM in an emergency.

Yes they did. I don't have it off hand at this minute (it's in my car), but I remember it has a NUT number and a Pieza number. I don't recall it having a password, but that's probably because I didn't know until a few hours ago that "contrasigna" meant password and I wouldn't have paid attention to any "contrasigna". I will check again once I get back to my car.
God's Gift To Mexico

GodsGiftToMexico

Oct 9, 2016, 10:38 AM

Post #15 of 20 (10299 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Hi RV Gringo,

The letter they gave me has a NUT and Pieza number, but no contrasigna. But I search my email this morning for the INM string, and found an email from the INM the same day I went there, with both the Pieza number and contrasigna in it. So I was able to check my status this morning (still pending).

Thanks for your help.

GGTM
God's Gift To Mexico

rvgringo

Oct 9, 2016, 10:57 AM

Post #16 of 20 (10295 views)

Shortcut

Glad you got it sorted out.
Enjoy.....

esperanza

Oct 9, 2016, 7:34 PM

Post #17 of 20 (10277 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Hi RV Gringo,

The letter they gave me has a NUT and Pieza number, but no contrasigna. But I search my email this morning for the INM string, and found an email from the INM the same day I went there, with both the Pieza number and contrasigna in it. So I was able to check my status this morning (still pending).

Thanks for your help.

GGTM

It's contraseña, GGTM.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

rvgringo

Oct 10, 2016, 3:33 PM

Post #18 of 20 (10247 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

Yes, it is contraseña. I got linguistically muddled........

GodsGiftToMexico

Oct 10, 2016, 6:30 PM

Post #19 of 20 (10235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Will I be fined upon re-entry to Mexico ? How much ?

In Reply To
It's contraseña, GGTM.

Thanks Esperanza for the correction.

My "Estatus tramite" has had an update today:
"Registre los datos para la expedición de su documento migratorio".

Google translates that to:
"Record data for the issue of immigration document".

Does the above mean it's time for me to go back to the INM office for the next step, or is it too soon for that ?
God's Gift To Mexico

rvgringo

Oct 11, 2016, 10:10 AM

Post #20 of 20 (10214 views)

Shortcut

This is a stretch for my memory, but I seem to recall that there is a step, such as you describe, which involves simply filling out your personal data on a specific online form. Maybe named “Form 1“, or something like that. Look at the site and click on anything that looks like it; maybe even in red, at the bottom of the page.......it was so long ago & I do not remember the details, but it was pretty obvious and easy to do. Then....visit INM very soon. In some areas, they may even send you an e-mail at the appropriate time.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4