Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

anthony3070

Dec 24, 2015, 11:03 AM

Post #1 of 4 (7178 views)

Shortcut

Giving up Permanent Residence card

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi everyone,

I have a Mexican residente permanente card that I've had for a couple years now. I'm no longer living in Mexico and would like to "lose" my permanent residence status so that I can temporarily bring my US plated vehicle into Mexico when I visit.

Do I return it to the immigration office in Guadalajara or can I surrender it at the airport? Will this affect me applying for permanent residence in the future (I plan to move back in 10 years).

Thanks

chinagringo

Dec 24, 2015, 11:55 AM

Post #2 of 4 (7163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [anthony3070] Giving up Permanent Residence card

We were told in 2009 that an expired FM3 was the property of the Mexican Government and they required to it be surrendered to Immigration. I realize things have changed a great deal and that a different border crossing point might have a different take but to be on the safe side, I would be inclined to turn it in and have clean records.

YMMV
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

DavidHF

Dec 25, 2015, 6:15 PM

Post #3 of 4 (7040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Giving up Permanent Residence card

Since a Residente Permanent card doesn't expire, I'm not sure how this relates. I'd ask INM for the correct procedure. Certainly you'll want to get a receipt.

joaquinx

Dec 26, 2015, 5:22 AM

Post #4 of 4 (6998 views)

Shortcut

Re: [anthony3070] Giving up Permanent Residence card

It seems to be the quick way is to enter Mexico without the RP and get a Visitante. There have been a number of people who lost their RP by doing this.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4