Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Mim11

Dec 24, 2015, 6:10 AM

Post #1 of 8 (9793 views)

Shortcut

Cultivating blueberries in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm wondering if anyone has cultivated blueberries in Mexico?

I'm not the kind of person who wants to replicate life NOB in Mexico - actually I'm more likely to try to replicate life in Mexico when I'm NOB. That being said, I love my blueberries. We are currently in the process of planting various fruit trees on our property in Mexico. and I looked into the possibility of planting blueberries and raspberries, as well. There are already some wild zarzamoras (blackberries) on the land. I was surprised to discover that Mexico has really stepped up it's blueberry production over the past several years, primarily in Jalisco and Sinaloa for exportation NOB, so it is possible to raise blueberries here.

We are in Morelos (Tepoztlan) and I even found a nursery in nearby Yautepec which sells blueberry bushes. Our place is at a one of the higher altitudes in Tepoztlan, so it is cooler. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience with blueberries in Mexico.

citlali

Dec 24, 2015, 7:14 AM

Post #2 of 8 (9785 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mim11] Cultivating blueberries in Mexico

We buy blueberries all the time here in Jalisco but I think they told me they came from Michoacan but who knows..
We grow Raspberries in the Lake Chapala area and I am planning to take some plants to Chiapas highlands as well where I think they should grow well.
If yu find some plants , plant them and soon you will know if you can grow them or not.

Mim11

Dec 24, 2015, 12:07 PM

Post #3 of 8 (9769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Cultivating blueberries in Mexico

Thanks, Citlali. Glad to here your raspberries are doing well in Chapala. I'll be planting those, as well. I've never cultivated blueberries anywhere, because they are so accessible in Canada and I don't have space to grow them in Canada. I guess soon enough I'll see how they do in Tepoztlan.

chinagringo

Dec 24, 2015, 12:15 PM

Post #4 of 8 (9768 views)

Shortcut

Better yet, why not huckleberries? We used to harvest wild huckleberries in the hills around Spokane, WA at an elevation similar to Tepoztlan.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Dec 24, 2015, 1:54 PM

Post #5 of 8 (9762 views)

Shortcut

At the right time of the year, blueberries are available/being grown 'around' Lake Chapala. I've purchased them at Tiangas and on the streets so I suspect that they are not being trucked in from Michoacan.

bournemouth

Dec 25, 2015, 5:55 AM

Post #6 of 8 (9747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Cultivating blueberries in Mexico

The other evening in Ajijic I met a local respresentative of one of the California berry companies. His responsibility is strawberries, which they grow in Michoacan. He says he keeps a low profile! His company also grows blueberries and raspberries in Ciudad Guzman, Jalisco. He told me that the blueberry plants they use are evergreen and they have to trick the plants into thinking they have been through four seasons by pruning them at appropriate times.

chicois8

Dec 27, 2015, 4:13 PM

Post #7 of 8 (9712 views)

Shortcut

I was in a small village in Jalisco the other day and was surprised that they were growing cranberries in what my friend called a controlled environment,
Said cranberries were a lot more profitable than sugar cane..........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Mim11

Dec 27, 2015, 9:13 PM

Post #8 of 8 (9703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Cultivating blueberries in Mexico

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. It would be interesting to know more about the timing of pruning. I've been reading on line about growing blueberries, e.g. Farmer's Almanac, but it's still geared more to NOB. I'm hoping the nursery in Yautepec might have some more info for growing blueberries.

I've seen cranberry products advertised in Tepoztlan, being promoted as a health food / superfood with their antioxidants. I quite like cranberries but I don't anticipate I'll be trying to raise any myself!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4