Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

MayaDoc

Dec 21, 2015, 7:04 PM

Post #1 of 9 (21047 views)

Shortcut

Cuernavaca or Taxco-which is more interesting?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have four days to spend somewhere close to Mexico City and I'd appreciate help in deciding. I prefer nature sites, culture, architecture, history, good food, walking and taking public transportation. Where would I experience more of Mexican culture? The last time I was in Taxco was 1992 and the noise from the cars and congestion on the narrow cobblestone streets was pretty serious.

I'd be grateful for suggestions on places to stay and important sites. Thanks for your help.

sparks

Dec 22, 2015, 12:25 PM

Post #2 of 9 (21014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MayaDoc] Cuernavaca or Taxco-which is more interesting?

I made a couple day trips to Taxco from Cuernavaca including the Grutas de Cacahuamilpa
https://en.wikipedia.org/...amilpa_National_Park

Pirámides de Xochicalco is another easy day trip
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xochicalco

And/or Tepoztlán but it's a zoo on weekends
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tepoztl%C3%A1n

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 23, 2015, 9:23 AM)

Mim11

Dec 23, 2015, 6:08 AM

Post #3 of 9 (20968 views)

Shortcut

I don't know Taxco well, as I've only been there briefly a couple of times, so I can't really comment on its charms. But an advantage of Cuernavaca is that you can explore all the city itself has to offer, and perhaps see some nearby places which meet your criteria (nature, architecture, culture, history, walking, etc.) Tepoztlán is an easy bus ride from Cuernavaca and is delightful (yes, I'm biased since it's one of my favourite places ever). If you are up to it, the climb up the Tepozteco is beautiful and invigorating, with a pre-Hispanic pyramid temple at the top - and stunning panoramic views worth the climb. There are also a couple of museums (the Ex-Convent and the Carlos Pellicer Museum of Pre-Hispanic Art), an art gallery, good restaurants. I agree with Sparks that it can be crazy on weekends, worse on the long weekends (puentes). During the week it is still lively with lots to do, but less crowded. There is an artisan market on Wednesdays (also on the weekends). If you like walking, Tepoztlan is ideal, as long as you're OK with hills. It really is a beautiful town, with its hilly stone-paved streets, bougainvillea pouring over stone walls, surrounded by columnar, interestingly shaped mountains. At every turn you'll find another amazing view. Maybe you'll even see one of the UFOs Tepoz is famous for! (If you are at all interested in esoteric, Tepoztlan definitely has esoteric...)

If you are based in Cuernavaca, it is also an easy trip to the archeological site Xochicalco which is west of the city (Tepoz is 20 minutes east of Cuernavaca). Also Morelos has lots of natural spring balnearios - cold, warm, hot or smelly (Agua Hedionda), however you like them. Google "balnearios Morelos" and you'll find lots of info.

MayaDoc

Dec 23, 2015, 8:37 AM

Post #4 of 9 (20953 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Cuernavaca or Taxco-which is more interesting?

Thank you for the helpful information you shared. I take it that Cuernavaca is your preference for home base, rather than Taxco. If Cuernavaca is more relaxing, less hectic, then maybe that's where we should go.

Saludos.

MayaDoc

Dec 23, 2015, 8:45 AM

Post #5 of 9 (20952 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mim11] Cuernavaca or Taxco-which is more interesting?

I appreciate the details and the positive aspects of staying in Cuernavaca. I do love the esoteric! Have been to Tepoztlan but always want to return. What a lovely place.

Do you have suggestions about the part of town that would be good to stay in? We're without a car and love to be where the Old Town is close by.

Muchas gracias!

Mim11

Dec 23, 2015, 10:20 PM

Post #6 of 9 (20925 views)

Shortcut

I'm sorry, I'm not able to give you much advice about where to stay in Cuernavaca, because Tepoztlan is home base for me (when in Mexico) with trips into Cuernavaca for specific activities/events.

Anonimo

Dec 24, 2015, 4:59 AM

Post #7 of 9 (20919 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thank you for the helpful information you shared. I take it that Cuernavaca is your preference for home base, rather than Taxco. If Cuernavaca is more relaxing, less hectic, then maybe that's where we should go.

Saludos.

I haven't spent much time in Cuernavaca since the 90s. But it's a large city, with much traffic and some air pollution. That said, there are some beautiful residential areas where you may find tranquility.

Are you planning on moving to either Taxco or Cuernavaca? As has been said many times before, rent, 6 months to a year, before buying.

Taxco is by far the more charming and picturesque of the two cities, and smaller, but is located on steep hills with cobblestone streets from the horse and carriage era. I wouldn't care to drive in Taxco.

saludos,
Anonimo

rockydog85251

Dec 24, 2015, 5:31 AM

Post #8 of 9 (20917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Cuernavaca or Taxco-which is more interesting?

When staying in Cuernavaca, we stay at the Hotel Orense which has a sky bridge to get to the uphill side of the road, from there it's only a few more interesting blocks to Centro. We don't have to take the car out of the garage unless we go to Taxco or exploring. We usually take the breakfast included plan and find it to be quite decent. Simple but clean rooms...very comfortable.
I love to go to the restaurant at Las Mananitas just to enjoy the ambiance, if not the food.
Occasionally we have caught a free performance at the theater as well.
Enjoy!!!!
Willie

Diana Orizaga

Mar 19, 2016, 3:15 AM

Post #9 of 9 (19694 views)

Shortcut

I don't have been to Cuernavaca but have been Taxo city few months ago. It's really a lovely city and I could not say which one is better as I never been Cuernavaca. however, we are planning for another Mexico trip and already done booking private vehicle from Nasttransfers. I will try to visit that Cuernavaca city.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4