Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

ixobel

Dec 19, 2015, 8:58 AM

Post #1 of 18 (10739 views)

Shortcut

Amazon in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm curious if people have used the new Amazon.com.mx and what their experiences have been. I have one friend here in Guanajuato who has used it for small items and was quite pleased - free delivery, I think in 4 days. I would actually love to use it to buy a piece of furniture or two.
Thanks

joaquinx

Dec 19, 2015, 11:56 AM

Post #2 of 18 (10721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ixobel] Amazon in Mexico

In Reply To
I'm curious if people have used the new Amazon.com.mx and what their experiences have been. I have one friend here in Guanajuato who has used it for small items and was quite pleased - free delivery, I think in 4 days. I would actually love to use it to buy a piece of furniture or two.
Thanks

I used it to buy an espresso machine. It was shipped from the US and included taxes and aduana fees. Amazon might have some items here in Mexico, but I believe most are shipped from the US. The plus is that the site accepts pesos via Mexican debit/credit cards.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

fordmexico

Dec 20, 2015, 11:12 AM

Post #3 of 18 (10644 views)

Shortcut

We have used both Amazon USA and Amazon Mexico for the purchase of items with no real problems. Amazon Mexico is still gearing up its presence here in Mexico so many of the items are imported in from the USA. As demand grows Amazon-Mexico has been adding more items ti its inventory.

There are several outside vendors such as Nettbee and Lapson Mexico that sell electronics on Amazon Mexico;s site. Our experience has been that their prices are often much higher than those of Amazon.

No problems with use of credit/debit cards from either Mexican and USA banks. Delivery now comes via DHL. Aduana import fees are included in the ordering process so you know both the cost and are not bothered by collection upon delivery.

Delivery time from the USA is about 3 days via DHL. From Amazon Mexico the delivery time is next day or the following day since we live about 45 minutes from Amazon's fulfillment center in Cuautitlán, Edomex just outside of Mexico City. In the past,UPS delivered the items purchased from Amazon USA. Their delivery times ranged from 4-14 days. We never use expedited delivery.

On one occasion we did need assistance from Amazon Mexico. Resolution was obtained after engaging Amazon USA customer service. It seems that the CSR's in Mexico are still learning the concept of customer satisfaction.

chinagringo

Dec 20, 2015, 11:19 AM

Post #4 of 18 (10642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Amazon in Mexico

Out of curiosity, do they offer the subscription for Amazon Prime in Mexico? To my way of thinking, that is the best $99 we spend each year between Kindle Prime, Music Prime, two day free shipping on a vast number of products and their expanding realm of perks! Have never had a warranty or quality issue with a product purchased through Amazon that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction. They run a close second to Costco in customer service & satisfaction.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

roberth

Dec 20, 2015, 11:24 AM

Post #5 of 18 (10638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Amazon in Mexico

In Reply To
Out of curiosity, do they offer the subscription for Amazon Prime in Mexico? To my way of thinking, that is the best $99 we spend each year between Kindle Prime, Music Prime, two day free shipping on a vast number of products and their expanding realm of perks! Have never had a warranty or quality issue with a product purchased through Amazon that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction. They run a close second to Costco in customer service & satisfaction.

No, at least not at this time. There doesn't seem to be any crossover of your Prime service when you interact with Amazon MX.

fordmexico

Dec 20, 2015, 12:08 PM

Post #6 of 18 (10626 views)

Shortcut

Amazon-Mexico does not offer the Prime service. Amazon Prime USA benefits are very limited for use in Mexico. No shipping, No Video. I could use Prime Photo storage, limited music and access to some Prime Deals. I did not try using with a VPN. Hardly worth it if you take out the shipping and video benefits.

I cancelled my trial Subscription after I took advantage of a Prime Early Deal that I wanted.

cbviajero

Dec 20, 2015, 2:53 PM

Post #7 of 18 (10604 views)

Shortcut

What I don't understand is why you can buy a Kindle e-reader but not a Kindle Fire via Amazon.mex,there seem to be a lot of items that are not available using Amazon.mex.

chinagringo

Dec 20, 2015, 3:10 PM

Post #8 of 18 (10601 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Amazon in Mexico

Could it be because of their licensing agreements with manufacturers of various components? Just a guess but I have seen that to be a factor in determining where computers can be shipped.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

fordmexico

Dec 20, 2015, 7:47 PM

Post #9 of 18 (10574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Amazon in Mexico

The Kindle Fire tablets are not available from Amazon USA for shipment to a Mexican address as well.

It could be issues with shipment of the battery inside the tablet, governmental export restrictions regarding technology or as chinagringo posted.

rvgringo

Dec 21, 2015, 8:55 AM

Post #10 of 18 (10476 views)

Shortcut

Amazon is not the same everywhere. They are separate franchises with very separate agreements with suppliers, etc. Amazon USA, Amazon Mexico and Amazon UK are each separate entities. Having an account with one will not do you any good with one of the others, nor will the products be the same.

fordmexico

Dec 21, 2015, 10:58 AM

Post #11 of 18 (10459 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Amazon in Mexico

My Amazon USA account carried forward to Amazon Mexico. All I needed to do was to add a Mexican credit card to avoid currency translation charges. Same log-in. Amazon Mexico does separate my orders and reviews into its Mexico website.

I can also log into Amazon.com.UK with my same user name and password as I originally set-up for Amazon USA. All my address and payment info was available.

They are indeed separate entities but not really franchises. Servicios Comerciales Amazon México S. de R.L. de C.V. is its entity for the Mexico operation. It is controlled by and appears to be wholly-owned by Amazon.com, Inc. with results being consolidated under Amazon's North American operations.

Merriam Webster Dictionary's definition of a franchise,

"the right to sell a company's goods or services in a particular area; also : a business that is given such a right."

chinagringo

Dec 21, 2015, 8:04 PM

Post #12 of 18 (10413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Amazon in Mexico

I guess the standard answer of contacting one's local iron monger didn't work in this case?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

ixobel

Dec 22, 2015, 6:49 AM

Post #13 of 18 (10382 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the great info. It certainly seems worth a try. Do you know what they do if you're not home when they deliver? Do they keep trying or call you?

In Reply To

cbviajero

Dec 22, 2015, 7:28 AM

Post #14 of 18 (10374 views)

Shortcut

In my case they left a note saying that they had left my package at a nearby paqueteria.

fordmexico

Dec 22, 2015, 7:40 AM

Post #15 of 18 (10368 views)

Shortcut

Lately we have received everything via DHL. They leave a note and will attempt delivery 3 different times. They leave a number to call if you want to pick up at thier local office or schedule a particular day. They are a bit strict on how long they will keep ypur package before they will return it to the sender.

UPS had a similar process but less refined as to whether they followed it.

As a note, for the last month items ordered from Amazon that were delivered by DHL all came by air no matter how you specified shipment with Amazon which gave us very quick delivery without paying any extra.

Moisheh

Jan 1, 2016, 10:37 AM

Post #16 of 18 (10123 views)

Shortcut

I tried to order a BP monitor. very bad experience. The seller advertised 2 to 3 day shipping. But as I was placing the order it said 7 to 11 days. After I placed the order the confirmation said 25 days!~!! It was around $60.00USD but I found it in the USA for under $20.00. I canceled the order.

Aaron+

Jan 4, 2016, 2:07 PM

Post #17 of 18 (10005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Amazon in Mexico

The 2-3 shipping date no doubt was for domestic US shipments. Hey, you are in Mexico! Surprise! And then the arcane world of Mexican import restrictions and customs duties can present challenges to would be sellers, even Amazon and its vendors.

Medical devices and personal use medicines are more easily brought into Mexico than individually imported. For devices, the shipper would need to know whether the device is exempt for specific registration or has already been registered by its manufacturer/importer.

Unless the specific product had prior sanitary registration with COFEPRIS, and entered the product under its registry number, shipment could run afoul of the need to register a medical device with the Ministry of Health.
I do not see any blanket exemption for blood pressure monitors or cuffs (esfigmomanómetro or tensiómetro) at http://www.cofepris.gob.mx/...anitarioMedicamen... and, while I see Alarma de presión sanguínea, I see no simple way to search for a term in the pdf for the specific product (manufacturer, etc) in http://www.cofepris.gob.mx/...spositivosMedicos....

Anyhow, enjoy your blood pressure monitor/cuff/device once you recieve it, on way or the other.

Moisheh

Jan 4, 2016, 3:26 PM

Post #18 of 18 (9994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Amazon in Mexico

Thanks Aaron. I was buying from a company in Mexico through Amazon. No need to pay import taxes as it is already here! I cancelled the order

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4