Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

NorthAmericanTraveler

Dec 17, 2015, 5:11 PM

Post #1 of 3 (4810 views)

Shortcut

Janos, Chihuahua (MX 2)

Can't Post | Private Reply
In February I am going to be in New Mexico. I was curious if Janos is still in the no hassle zone. I am considering entering at Antelope Wells and leaving at Santa Teresa (or vise versa). Would I need a TIP and FMM for that? Thanks for any responses.

chinagringo

Dec 17, 2015, 6:21 PM

Post #2 of 3 (4798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] Janos, Chihuahua (MX 2)

My suggestion is to do some research on the local media which might inform you of current events in that area. Since we quit crossing at Santa Teresa a number of years back because we didn't care for the events at that time, I haven't been following the situation.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

NorthAmericanTraveler

Dec 18, 2015, 8:07 AM

Post #3 of 3 (4769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Janos, Chihuahua (MX 2)

I'm not too overly concerned about safety. Lots of people go through Janos to go to Nuevo Casas Grandes. The state department even recommends going through Janos to get to Nuevo Casas Grandes rather than saying "avoid non essential travel".

I did a little more research using Google Maps. It appears that the garita is on MX 10 just a few miles south of Janos, which leads me to believe that all of MX 2 in Chihuahua is in the "free zone". There are also signs in Hachita, NM, that tell drivers to go south on Hwy 81 to get to Janos, so I am going to assume that Janos is in the free zone as the Antelope Wells POE doesn't have an INM or a Banjercito.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4