Forums  > General > General Forum

JK

Dec 14, 2015, 7:44 AM

Post #1 of 6 (6224 views)

Shortcut

Advice on purchasing my 1st GPS

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good Mourning
I have spent hours reading and rereading information on which makes and models of GPS's for Mexico. My head is about to explode. As this will be my first GPS ever I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

chinagringo

Dec 14, 2015, 8:43 AM

Post #2 of 6 (6218 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JK] Advice on purchasing my 1st GPS

We have been using a 2008 model Garmin with lifetime maps that includes Mexico and the map improvements have been outstanding through the years. Ours is starting to show wear and we have been considering a replacement. In our research, we feel that the following model stands out as a good option for our needs:

http://www.amazon.com/...635370_88603980_n_id

As far as I know, the traffic option will not work in Mexico but you should enjoy all the other features.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Dec 14, 2015, 10:18 AM

Post #3 of 6 (6207 views)

Shortcut

I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 255W for 10-15 years and, although I don't have any experience with the particular model that chinagringo posted about, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Garmin brand. I have used mine in Mexico also and am amazed at their general accuracy there. If I'd update my map software (don't have lifetime) I'm sure it would even be better.

chinagringo

Dec 14, 2015, 10:28 AM

Post #4 of 6 (6202 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Advice on purchasing my 1st GPS

You are so right! I am amazed at each update and am glad I quit playing stupid by buying individual updates. They had a sale on lifetime and I jumped all over it. I think my maps have updated 4 or 5 times this year alone?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

JK

Dec 14, 2015, 1:23 PM

Post #5 of 6 (6190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Advice on purchasing my 1st GPS

Thank You Both...
I checked out the Garmin 2797 LMT that chinagringo suggested. It sounded excellent. I settled on the same Make & Model, Garmin 2597 LMT with just a bit smaller screen, 5 inch as compared to the 7 inch model noted above. The difference being $290 for the 7 in and $175 for the 5 in. Amazon.ca(Canadian). It will be waiting for me when I fly home for a short Christmas visit. Thanks again.

chinagringo

Dec 14, 2015, 6:51 PM

Post #6 of 6 (6158 views)

Shortcut

While you are at it, I would highly recommend looking into adding additional memory by using a SD or SDXC memory card depending on what your unit calls for. These new updates seem to be huge. I just saw on Amazon that they offer some shades or screens to shield you GPS screen from the direct glare from the sun and thought that would be most helpful since we have found that that the new expansive windshields let too much sun in.

Another thing you might want to be aware of is that States like Jalisco have outlawed GPS units if they are not OEM installed units. When driving around Jalisco, we keep our unit down low rather than attract attention with it mounted in our windshield. Then again, I drive by the voice commands and tend not to have to look at the screen.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4