Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ixobel

Dec 12, 2015, 6:46 PM

Post #1 of 13 (7575 views)

Shortcut

Steps for processing temporary residency and extending TIP

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've just arrived (by car) to Mexico with part one of my temporary residency and now need to complete it. I will be heading to San Miguel de Allende shortly to do so but I'm not sure what I need and what the steps are. I am considering hiring someone there to help with the process, but wonder if that's necessary. My Spanish is decent. In part I am concerned with what I need to do to extend my car permit since I know I won't have my final visa before the 30 days expires on the TIP. I don't think I do that part in San Miguel. I also know the offices will be closed over the holidays so time is that much more of the essence. I don't want to lose that car deposit...Thanks!

rvgringo

Dec 13, 2015, 8:48 AM

Post #2 of 13 (7513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ixobel] Steps for processing temporary residency and extending TIP

You have 30 days from crossing the border to report to INM with proof of residence, etc. They will begin the process of completing your Residente Temporal and will issue you the card. During that time, you will carry the Tramite letter they give you, and will monitor the progress of your application online, at the website/password shown on that letter. You will return to INM a couple of times during that several week process.
Immediately upon being fingerprinted at INM, you must notify Aduana/Banjercito and request that your automobile‘s Importada Temporal be extended to match your new INM status. There are other posts with details, or a few attorneys who can help with this. If it is not completed within 15 days, your deposit is lost. You must do this at every change/renewal of INM documents.
By the way, your car must be removed from Mexico before you convert to Residente Permanente at the expiration of your 4th year as Residente Temporal; so, plan ahead.

ixobel

Dec 13, 2015, 2:30 PM

Post #3 of 13 (7483 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Steps for processing temporary residency and extending TIP

Ok thanks. I did just find one informative post and I will search some more. I'm not even sure where my closest aduana is (I believe Silao) but I'm sure I can figure that out. So after finger printing I have 15 days? And then I go back with the final residency card? I really hope with holiday closures that this is all possible within the time frame as I'm sure they don't make any adjustment for that. I just got home to Guanajuato today and will head to SMA tomorrow to start.

RickS

Dec 13, 2015, 9:12 PM

Post #4 of 13 (7459 views)

Shortcut

Since time seems to be 'of the essence', you might want to enlist the services of a facilitator in San Miguel. There are (at least) two there to help you with this process... it would be much cheaper than loosing your TIP deposit because your un-aided attempt to 'get it done' made you late or unaware of any step.

roberth

Dec 14, 2015, 8:55 AM

Post #5 of 13 (7419 views)

Shortcut

The INM office here closes the 18th and reopens Jan 4, so you better hurry! :O

ixobel

Dec 15, 2015, 2:21 PM

Post #6 of 13 (7322 views)

Shortcut

So I did got step one done in SMA today. I could not have possibly come here any sooner than I did, but they still say finger prints won't be done until mid January. My car TIP expires Jan. 9th. So all I have is the letter from today saying I started the process with today's date. I'm still not clear on where I go so I need to check about that. Online it says that there is an Aduana in Silao that I'm hoping I can go to. People in SMA go to Queretaro which is quite a trek for me especially since I will have to go once with my letter and then back again when I get my resident card. Sort of wondering if the whole car thing is worth it at this point, but it's here now. I feel like the whole 30 day on the car TIP thing is just a way to keep more deposits, but oh well. Hoping for the best.

roberth

Dec 15, 2015, 9:35 PM

Post #7 of 13 (7266 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
So I did got step one done in SMA today. I could not have possibly come here any sooner than I did, but they still say finger prints won't be done until mid January. My car TIP expires Jan. 9th. So all I have is the letter from today saying I started the process with today's date. I'm still not clear on where I go so I need to check about that. Online it says that there is an Aduana in Silao that I'm hoping I can go to. People in SMA go to Queretaro which is quite a trek for me especially since I will have to go once with my letter and then back again when I get my resident card. Sort of wondering if the whole car thing is worth it at this point, but it's here now. I feel like the whole 30 day on the car TIP thing is just a way to keep more deposits, but oh well. Hoping for the best.

It is important to get your TIP matched to your RT. Getting a refund on your deposit at the expiration of your 4 years of temporary residency is a total crap shoot. What's more important is that, when you go to Aduana to get your TIP expiration date changed to match your RT expiration date, they give you a stapled set of letters, stating that these two expiration dates have been linked. You need to keep that in your car at all times. I've lived in Mexico about 18 months, and in SMA about 9 months. Driven back and forth from Monterrey to SMA 14-18 times or so. I've driven through whatever checkpoints happened to be running. In all that time, one official has asked me to pull over, noticed the expired TIP sticker on my windshield (they never send you a new one), but he looked over the stapled forms I got from Aduana, and said that was what I needed and let me drive on. I don't want to think what headaches I would have experienced if I didn't have that letter.

Btw, I disagree with rvgringo that you need to update Aduana with "every change/renewal of INM documents." My understanding is that you need to visit Aduana only the first time, once you have your RT. At that point, the expiration of your TIP is linked to the expiration of your RT, even when you renew your RT a year later. There is a Mexican gov document I have on some hard drive somewhere that states this explicitly, but I'd have to search for it. My feeling, after I renewed my RT for 3 years earlier this year, was that, considering what a total crap shoot it is to get back your deposit at all, it was better to save the gas and toll money and time it would have cost to give another visit to Aduana, especially since that doesn't actually seem to be necessary. YMMV.

btw, the only Aduana office I've heard of that updates TIPs in the area is at the QTO airport. I have not heard that there is an office in Silao that does this. FWIW

ixobel

Dec 17, 2015, 2:03 PM

Post #8 of 13 (7170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberth] Steps for processing temporary residency and extending TIP

Man they don't make it easy to the right thing...

According to http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx there is an Aduana in Silao and according to the same sight, the car permit can be extended "ante cualquier aduana del país" but yeah, I agree I've never heard of anyone doing it there and I've done a thorough online search. I will be hoping against hope that I can. For the most part my friends in GTO seem to have done nothing as they understood that the TIP is current if your visa is. I don't think that's the case, but it would really help if at least the people in charge of knowing these things actually did in fact know them. At this point I more or less expect to lose the deposit, but I do still want to make sure my car is legal. I REALLy don't want to have to go to Queretaro a couple times, but we will see. Thanks.

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 17, 2015, 6:59 PM)

YucaLandia

Dec 17, 2015, 6:34 PM

Post #9 of 13 (7153 views)

Shortcut

Re: "They don't make it easy."

Boy, ain't that the truth, when dealing with the collision ~ kluge ~ of a Aduana TIP (Temporary Import Permit) policy to match the weird expiration date of the INM's special 30 day visa for finishing the residency process.

Unfortunately, that's what happens when they take a normal 6 month Aduana TIP permit designed for the millions of Mexicans who temporarily bring in foreign-plated vehicles, and try to bend/twist/staple/fold (mutilate) to make it fit the expiration date of INM's 30day special visa that's used by probably less than 5,000 foreigners a year.

The normal 6 month Aduana TIP expiration date policy works fine for the millions of Mexicans and 100,000 of tourists who use it. The "other-normal" Aduana TIP expiration date policy to match Residente Temporal visa expiration dates also works fine.**

But... by trying to kluge a normal Aduana TIP policy of forcing the TIP expiration date to match the INM permit expiration date + plus a Banjercito deposit designed to keep foreigners from leaving or selling their cars in Mexico... they create a Frankenstein-monster combined SRE-INM-Aduana-Banjercito policy that just doesn't work for the few thousands of foreigners who drive in TIP cars to finish their new Temporary Residency visa process...

Really, Aduana needed to create a special custom-fit policy for those few thousands of new new Temporary Residency visa applicants - and not just apply their off-the-rack TIP policy from the other millions of TIP users.

The very good Mexican attorney Lic. Spencer McMullen has described that some RT applicants have tried to preserve their Banjercito TIP deposits by writing/sending formal notification letters to Aduana/Banjercito with their NUT number, and a copy of that INM document that proves you've started the Mexican INM part of the process, but I'm not confident that it is enough. It's actually official when they (INM) take your fingerprints ... which gives you another chance to notify Aduana/Banjercito in writing of your new INM RT permit's actual expiration date.

That's one reason some people advise that we immediately go into our INM office ASAP, after arriving in Mexico on the special 30 day visa, to try to get to that finger-print step as soon as possible to try to preserve the $$ deposit.

Happy Holidays ... and best of luck,
steve

============================
** More detailed information on both of these processes at:

~ Current Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico

and

**Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico

and

INM Office Closed from Dec 19 – Jan 10
for the 2015 Christmas holiday.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 17, 2015, 6:37 PM)

ixobel

Dec 18, 2015, 12:10 PM

Post #10 of 13 (7093 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Steps for processing temporary residency and extending TIP

Thanks Steve/YucaLandia. Your posts here have been super informative. I always think doing my research and having the info will save me, but I don't think this is going to be one of those cases. This process is really ridiculous. I have 2 friends who recently crossed like me on their temporary residency and car. Both of them were given 180 days for the car. Wouldn't that have been nice... :) I went to SMA INM within a fews days of crossing so I couldn't have possibly gone any sooner, but then you tack on a closure of 2 weeks on top of an already short 30 day deadline and difficult becomes completely unrealistic. Finger printing will not be done before my car permit expires and there is nothing I can do to change that. I'm hoping the Aduana is not closed for 2 weeks as well, but I guess I will find that out soon. I plan to head to the Silao Aduana with paperwork in hand and hope for the best. I will always print out the page from the Aduana/SAT website that states you can "presentar ante cualquier aduana del país o a la ACOA" to extend the permit. Vamos a ver...

Happy holidays to you too.

YucaLandia

Dec 18, 2015, 6:05 PM

Post #11 of 13 (7059 views)

Shortcut

Disclaimer: I don't have any personal experience with this, but...

Some people had posted in the past that if they -re-ordered their TIP on-line, from Banjercito. before getting to the border, and they got 180 days.

That system may have changed, so you'd need to hear from someone who's used it recently - to see what information you need to register on-line for the TIP:

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

and

http://www.inm.gob.mx/...Autorizacion/en.html

From what I can read on the 2 websites, it seems like you would qualify ??

Let's hope someone who has used this approach will step-up and describe if he could still get a 180 day TIP this way(?)

Happy Holidays,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

ixobel

Dec 22, 2015, 11:39 AM

Post #12 of 13 (6931 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Steps for processing temporary residency and extending TIP

So to follow up, I had a fairly unsuccessful (but not entirely so) experience with the Silao Aduana. They were clearly not experienced in dealing with car extensions at all. According to them I had to go back to the border to take care of it. I then showed them the page I printed from the government website that said it can be taken care of in any Aduana and they became more helpful. Without this that would have been the end of it. I also brought the TIP extension letter printed from Rolly B's site. Some Aduanas may have this, but I wouldn't count on it.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/automoviles.aspx

Then they spent over an hour talking on the phone trying to sort out what they were supposed to do. In the end, nothing happened because they figured out that the guy that would need to sign on it was on vacation. They gave me the address to the Mexico city aduana and told me to send the paperwork there. From reading reports here, people have not had great luck with that route. So my plan is to send it anyway because that is easy, but I will still go back to Silao in January when the right guy is there. Hopefully there is no such thing as notifying them too many times. I do at least think they now recognize that this is a "tramite" that they are supposed to be able to handle in Silao and they now got a little education on it.

I'm far from done, but feel hopeful that I can at least avoid going to Queretaro. Going to Silao is not so bad for me. I still will not hold my breath on getting the deposit back, but I won't know that for a few years anyway.

Happy Holidays :)

YucaLandia

Dec 24, 2015, 7:16 AM

Post #13 of 13 (6845 views)

Shortcut

Well done.

Background:
This mess was created back in Nov. 2012 when the INM's "new" Lineamientos were published. Aduana refused to do anything at all to harmonize their "old" regulations with INM's new rules ~ nothing ~ for the following 4 months. A group of us started putting pressure on Aduana in DF, quietly mobilizing Canadian and American Consulates to squawk at them, coupled with a small horde of Yucalandia readers calling them, y voilá Aduana DF came out with an amended policy after just 2 weeks of pressure.

Still, as ixobel's experience shows, the March 2013 roll-out of Aduana DF's amended policies is still continuing to not extend into all local Aduana offices, but good focused efforts like ixobel's are slowly moving the rock up the hill.

Thanks to everyone for their ongoing efforts to get Aduana offices onto the same page, smoothing the paths for future applicants!

Our efforts have made a difference,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 24, 2015, 7:18 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4