Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

rlysens

Dec 12, 2015, 4:36 PM

Post #1 of 3 (4179 views)

Shortcut

Nogales to Sayulita,Nayarit-reservations,recommendation?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola a todos,
We’ll be making our 1st car trip from Nogales to Sayulita in January.
The plan is to cross the border at Mariposa 1st thing in the morning and make our way to Navojoa.
Next day we continue to Mazatlan and third day to our destination, Sayulita. Does that sound reasonable?
Should we make hotel/motel reservations in advance, or is it better to play it by ear?
Any recommendations for hotels/motels in Navojoa and Mazatlan? We’re bringing a full carload of belongings so protected parking would be good. We're a family of four: two adults, no pets.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Ruben.

sparks

Dec 13, 2015, 6:47 AM

Post #2 of 3 (4145 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rlysens] Nogales to Sayulita,Nayarit-reservations,recommendation?

Two nice hotels as you enter Navojoa on the right ... a less expensive between them. I would not bother with reservations. I've only stayed in town in Maz but hear there are motels out by the highway

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

hunteradvisor

Dec 13, 2015, 6:02 PM

Post #3 of 3 (4106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rlysens] Nogales to Sayulita,Nayarit-reservations,recommendation?

Hola Ruben,
We have made this a few times, including this past Oct. The best laid plans have twice landed us in Hermosillo instead of Navahoa, so I recommend the San Sebastián if that happens to you. We did make Mazatlan the second night and the first trip were so tired nd it was after dark so we took a very nice, way to expensive hotel, this last fall we camped in Mazatlan. For camping at the nicest place right in town you would need a reservation.
We make PV the 3rd night and then provision for our final leg back to our ranch in Mayto. I am attaching my friends' recommendations below: Buen viaje.
Holly
early and drive to Navojoa and stay at Hotel Del Rio (recommended). Monday I will drive to El Rosario (just South of Mazatlan) and stay at Motel Yauco (also recommended), or maybe go into Mazatlan. Tuesday I will drive to PV and stay at my usual Hotel Azteca.
1. As for the Nogales crossing, nothing to add. Would recommend you take the Mariposa crossing into Mexico.

2. It is Mex 15 all the way to Tepic and the cuota is well marked. The only thing you may want to check are the road conditions. After the two recent Pacific hurricanes, I don't know if portions of Mex 15 took a hit from all the rains along the Sinaloa and/or Nayarit coasts.

3. Whenever we've driven this route, we've always done a long first day driving from Nogales to Mazatlan. I wouldn't recommend this. Staying in Navojoa then on to Mazatlan is a much more sane way to break up the drive. Driving from Nogales to Los Mochis in one day is doable but I've not stayed there and have no recommendations for motels. Also you should know that the drive from Compostela to Sayulita along Mx 200 is agonizing. It is oftentimes slow going with many hairpin turns, crazy drivers trying to pass and slooooooow trucks. Plan extra time during this portion of the trip.

4. There are many hotels to choose from if you stay in Mazatlan but keep in mind that driving into Mazatlan takes you pretty far off of Mex 15, maybe 20-30 minutes. We've stayed at the Hotel La Siesta (basic, cheap, clean) right on the malecon and the Shrimp Basket restaurant is right below. Good shrimps and margaritas. :-)
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4