Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ixobel

Dec 7, 2015, 1:51 PM

Post #1 of 14 (9847 views)

Shortcut

need to keep US car insurance?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just tried to buy my Mexican car insurance and was told I need to keep US car insurance. I've only driven to once I know I canceled my US policy. This time I will be moving there on a temporary residency so probably keeping my car there for a few years. Do I really need to keep US insurance or do I need to try a different insurance company. I'm hitting the road tomorrow!! crossing over in 2 days so i need to do this. Thanks

RickS

Dec 7, 2015, 4:00 PM

Post #2 of 14 (9820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ixobel] need to keep US car insurance?

Try San Xavier Insurance ( mexicanautoinsurance.com ) or Lewis & Lewis, both online.....

chinagringo

Dec 7, 2015, 4:15 PM

Post #3 of 14 (9813 views)

Shortcut

Whenever we have purchased Mexico auto insurance for a US plated vehicle - we have had to provide company and policy # during the application process. These policies were for varying lengths of time and we never actually moved to Mexico for the time period. It may make a difference on where you plan to purchase the insurance to cover you for the few years you mention?

Like so many things in Mexico, I would doubt there is one set firm answer to your question and it also may depend on which Mexican State you plan to drive the vehicle?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

Dec 7, 2015, 4:54 PM

Post #4 of 14 (9800 views)

Shortcut

What US state are you from?

e.g. Colorado and Florida require that you continue to insure your CO-registered or FLA-registered vehicles - and keeping registration valid requires maintaining US insurance. It's a Catch-22 for Americans with cars in Mexico on Temporary Import Permits, because some CO & FLA counties also require annual emissions tests.

Note that: Your Mexican insurance company may also be using a morale hazard clause or the may have a company policy about morale hazards (?)

Many US insurance companies also have/invoke morale hazard clauses to disqualify some clients.

Basically, morale hazard is a type of risk modelling that shows that clients who canceled their prior auto insurance policy ~ who went uninsured for a period of time ~ are historically poor-quality clients who are bad insurance risks.

Some auto insurance risk-management experts show that potential clients who cancelled their previous insurance - and drove without insurance - are bad morale hazards, because they file more claims and cause more costs for their insurance companies, than clients who maintain and who currently have insurance protection.

The way some Americans deal with both issues is to get South Dakota plates & registration (from Clay County) - and only get SD insurance as needed. (This works if you are keeping the car in the Free Zone states of Baja California or Q. Roo.)

~ If the issue is just that your Mexican insurance company is using that morale hazard policy ... then find a different Mexican insurance company.

Make sense?

I don't think there are any Mexican states that require having both US auto insurance AND Mexican auto insurance simultaneously,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 7, 2015, 5:00 PM)

sparks

Dec 9, 2015, 7:17 AM

Post #5 of 14 (9679 views)

Shortcut

San Xavier did not ask about US insurance. Online with credit card

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

josesalsa

Dec 10, 2015, 8:10 AM

Post #6 of 14 (9593 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] need to keep US car insurance?

I have a US plated car here. I informed the DMV that the car is in Mexico. That solved the problem about US insurance. Then I added the car to a family member´s insurance policy to be activated when I am heading to the US. I have always had coverage here (Lewis and Lewis) and have never been asked about US insurance.

DavidHF

Dec 12, 2015, 6:49 AM

Post #7 of 14 (9498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [josesalsa] need to keep US car insurance?

When we had a US car we simply suspended the US insurance when the car was in Mexico and called the agent to reinstate it when we drove north. Very convenient.

ixobel

Dec 12, 2015, 5:47 PM

Post #8 of 14 (9462 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] need to keep US car insurance?

Thanks for all the info. The next company I called said it was no problem to cancel US insurance so I went with them. I didn't have much time to decide so hopefully reputable. Now in Mexico and I'm not sure how long I will keep the car here. For now I will try to keep it legally registered in Washington for as long as I can. I just changed my residency from CA to WA (parents address) because I know it's difficult to keep registered in CA.

chinagringo

Dec 12, 2015, 5:59 PM

Post #9 of 14 (9460 views)

Shortcut

An observation: why is it that so many foreign nationals play the insurance game by either choosing the company that plays into their particular distorted view of what is right or fits their "cheapness factor"? We have always search out the Mexican Auto Insurance with the most comprehensive coverage with an eye towards making sure we always had what appeared to be the best in coverage and legal assistance. In 17 years of driving in Mexico, we have never had a claim but I damned sure wouldn't want to spend a single minute in a jail anywhere in Mexico!!!!!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

ixobel

Dec 12, 2015, 7:47 PM

Post #10 of 14 (9451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] need to keep US car insurance?

I'm not trying to be cheap and by no means picked the least expensive insurance by far. I want good coverage. I do not however see the use in paying for a US insurance plan that does me no good in Mexico. I plan to keep my car here for several years.

TedZar

Dec 13, 2015, 5:21 AM

Post #11 of 14 (9434 views)

Shortcut

I use HDI Seguro for car insurance. They do not require USA insurance. But I am in Baja California, so might be different.

DavidHF

Dec 13, 2015, 8:59 AM

Post #12 of 14 (9411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] need to keep US car insurance?

If you are in an accident and ANYONE is injured then both drivers go to jail. Even with legal assistance from your insurance company you will spend from 1 to 3 days in jail.

Mim11

Dec 13, 2015, 3:00 PM

Post #13 of 14 (9393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] need to keep US car insurance?

Some close friends of ours were in an accident last year. All parties were Mexican. My friend was seriously injured, so they couldn't wait around for the police to come, even though they could smell alcohol on the other driver's breath, and it was a situation where it was clearly the other driver's fault. Their young adult children stayed with the car until the police could come, and the husband took his wife to the hospital.

No one was arrested or spent any time in jail. However my friends' car was impounded by police. By the time they were able to go pick it up a few days later, they had a hefty bill to pay per day at the police pound. They paid it and got the car only to discover that anything of value had been stripped (while in police custody), including the stereo and tools he had in the vehicle.

I agree with having good insurance coverage. However, one of the instructions I've read is the importance of staying with the car until the police and insurance adjuster arrive at the scene. How is that supposed to play out if someone is seriously injured?

cbviajero

Dec 13, 2015, 4:05 PM

Post #14 of 14 (9388 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] need to keep US car insurance?

What I've always found remarkable here are all the hit and runs,just amazing...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4