Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

MayaDoc

Nov 22, 2015, 2:10 PM

Post #1 of 11 (4986 views)

Shortcut

Pueblos Magicos Not to Miss

Can't Post | Private Reply
We'll be heading toward Mexico City from Mazatlan on January 2, 2016. We'd like to explore Pueblos Magicos that are close to Mexico City, like those in the state of Puebla. I'd appreciate your suggestions about pueblos to visit and which ones may be interesting for an overnight stay.

Also, if anyone has a suggestion about hiking trails and a town that's close to the volcano in Puebla, possibly for an overnight stay or a day trip from Puebla City, I'd be most grateful. Are the buses frequent between the volcano and Puebla City?

Is Taxco and the surrounding area a good destination for nature and culture? I haven't been there since 1992. Thank you so much for your help.

MayaDoc

citlali

Nov 25, 2015, 6:09 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4897 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MayaDoc] Pueblos Magicos Not to Miss

Cuetzalan is an overnight stay as it is a way from Puebla, it has great food, the voladors, ruins and georgeous countryside as wekk as nice artesaniam I fyou go thre go to Hueyapan and then Papantla not sure if it is magico but the food is good, El Tajin wonderful, and you can by vanilla beans and vines ,

Anonimo

Nov 26, 2015, 2:29 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4875 views)

Shortcut

Friends' son recently got married in Tlayacapan, Morelos. (Unfortunately, we were unable to attend.)
The town and its surroundings look attractive. http://www.visitmexico.com/...-to-do-in-tlayacapan

Mim11

Nov 26, 2015, 8:56 AM

Post #4 of 11 (4852 views)

Shortcut

Cholula is a beautiful town close to Puebla. It is full of churches, as Hernan Cortes reportedly vowed to build a church for each of the 365 pagan temples in the town. They actually only built 37. The Nuestra Señora de los Remedios sanctuary is built on top of the Great Pyramid, and the views from the top are spectacular. There are archeological ruins adjacent which are interesting. There are beautiful views of both Popocatepetl and Iztaccihuatl from the town. It is an easy day trip from Puebla.

Another town close to Puebla is Atlixco. It is a lovely town in its own right, but since you are going to be there in early January, you may be able to catch its "Villa Iluminada", a display of lights running along a winding route a couple of kilometres long through the city. This year it is running from Nov. 29 - Jan. 6.

If you want to see the volcano, I'd suggest Amecameca, a town in Edo. Mexico near the border with Puebla. It is the closest to Popocatepetl, and has offices with information about excursions to Popo/Izta. They also have a lovely market, and a tradition of pottery making. It gets cold given the elevation - a steaming hot cup of café de olla in the central mercado on a misty brisk mountain morning us one of my favourite memories of Amecameca. Magical.

MayaDoc

Nov 30, 2015, 8:50 AM

Post #5 of 11 (4762 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Pueblos Magicos Not to Miss

Saludos! I appreciate your suggestions and will check out the distances from Puebla. We greatly enjoy experiencing the smaller pueblos like Izamal in Yucatan, Tulum and Tepoztlan.

MayaDoc

Nov 30, 2015, 9:02 AM

Post #6 of 11 (4758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Pueblos Magicos Not to Miss

Muchas gracias Anonimo for the tip. I'll check this town out when we're close by.

MayaDoc

Nov 30, 2015, 9:10 AM

Post #7 of 11 (4757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mim11] Pueblos Magicos Not to Miss

Thank you for the tips on Atlixco and Amecameca. I've been to Cholula but will certainly return. I appreciate that you deem these places magical. That's the type of magic we seek and there's plenty of it in Mexico!

Mim11

Nov 30, 2015, 4:00 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4724 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Saludos! I appreciate your suggestions and will check out the distances from Puebla. We greatly enjoy experiencing the smaller pueblos like Izamal in Yucatan, Tulum and Tepoztlan.

If you like Tepoztlan and want to visit Tlayacapan as well, it's a short trip between the two, about 25 km. I've only done the trip by car, but I would guess there are combis running between the 2 towns. Tlayacapan is famous for its pottery. I've been on both weekends and during the week. During the week it was very quiet, not much going on, although most of the pottery and artesania stores were open. On weekends it can be very busy, with lots of tourists especially from DF.

tonyburton

Nov 30, 2015, 5:13 PM

Post #9 of 11 (4717 views)

Shortcut

And whatever you do, do not miss the amazing church at Santa María Tonantzintla
or the Ex-hacienda of San Antonio Chautla

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Nov 30, 2015, 5:15 PM)

MayaDoc

Dec 3, 2015, 2:41 PM

Post #10 of 11 (4639 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mim11] Pueblos Magicos Not to Miss

Muchisimas gracias for the tip on Tlayacapan. It sounds like a worthwhile side trip.

MayaDoc

Dec 3, 2015, 2:43 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4639 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Pueblos Magicos Not to Miss

Thanks Tony! I've made note of those places. You've always steered me in the right direction in years past.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4