Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

therumjournal

Nov 2, 2015, 10:35 PM

Post #1 of 15 (10177 views)

Shortcut

mix up at border regarding FMM form

Can't Post | Private Reply
So, I am a little worried. I went against my better judgement (but followed the INM rules) and departed Mexico via land border crossing in Naco, Sonora. The minute I walked in to the small INM office I knew it was a mistake. I handed my passport and RT card and told the officer that I needed an exit permit. He took my documents went into the back office and made a phone call to someone and asked what to do. He asked if I had some form with me, and I kindly advised him that I was here to fill out the form and that he keeps one half and I keep the other.

Long story short, he photocopied my documents, filled out the form for me(!!!) and asked me to look it over. I asked him to write "Residente Temporal" on top of each part. He did it with no problem and also noted that the FMM form now has a little box for resident card. So it looked good and he said I was good to go. i asked him if he could stamp my passport and the form. Well he ended up stamping both top and bottom and gave me the top (the big) form. I departed Mexico to the US and realized that I think I am suppose to have kept the small one?

Is this true? either way he gave me the big one and put his stamp under "sell de entrada". When I return to Mexico I will enter through Tijuana or MEX (airport), most likely Tijuana by land. Do you think I will have a problem with this?

In my mind I knew that I should have just "departed" Mexico and then re enter and then exit through Tijuana as they deal with a lot more foreigners. This officer told me he has never seen a resident through Naco so I am a little worried.

YucaLandia

Nov 3, 2015, 4:13 AM

Post #2 of 15 (10161 views)

Shortcut

Re: [therumjournal] mix up at border regarding FMM form

Playaboy (next post below) is exactly correct.

I initially mis-read your narrative, (pre-coffee brain) and did not see that you do have 1/2 the form for re-entering Mexico,

steve

**edited to correct my prior bleary-eyed error.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Nov 3, 2015, 7:34 AM)

playaboy

Nov 3, 2015, 5:28 AM

Post #3 of 15 (10150 views)

Shortcut

No need to worry, everything was done correctly (99%) by the INM officer, as long as the info written on the FMM form is correct. You have the correct half.

A couple of months ago I entered at PV airport. The INM officer was annoyed my FMM had a stamp like yours. She had me fill out a new FMM and stapled the two together. Only happened this one time. That is why I said 99%.

Now when I check out I ask the INM officer to stamp the back of the FMM, leaving the front area for entry stamp. That seems to work with these guys.

therumjournal

Nov 3, 2015, 9:25 AM

Post #4 of 15 (10099 views)

Shortcut

Re: mix up at border regarding FMM form

Ok thanks, I don't think it will be that big of a deal. I will just shrug my shoulders and smile. They are pretty nice in Tijuana and appear to be knowledgeable.

therumjournal

Nov 20, 2015, 12:12 AM

Post #5 of 15 (9418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] mix up at border regarding FMM form

So I went into Mexico through the Tijuana border crossing. Immediately the female agent was confused as to what happened. She didn't get mad at me, but said the guy in Naco messed up. She called her partner and she also looked confused. So I tried to stay cool and ask some basic questions. It seems as if they are not able to see your movements, as I asked if she saw my "exit" from Mexico in Naco. She said no she couldn't see it. So basically she filled out a new form as an "entry", stamped it, and then "gave" me the small form stamped with the length of days admitted crossed out. she marked "RESIDENTE TEMPORAL" on the form in their section. I am still skeptical, but what can you do? No one seems to know what is going on! I asked her if i technically needed this small form. She said, "technically no." Hopefully this doesn't get screwed up, but she sounded pretty sure that I would be ok.

YucaLandia

Nov 20, 2015, 7:02 AM

Post #6 of 15 (9386 views)

Shortcut

The local INM clerks' confusion and errors only cause you a problem if you apply for naturalized citizenship in the future.

When the INM records are only partly-complete - missing exit dates or entrance dates in INM Mexico records - then they can
assume that you were outside of Mexico longer than you actually were. Naturalized citizenship applicants have limits on how many days they can be outside of Mexico.

This means that contaminated incomplete INM records on us, from NOT recording EVERY exit and EVERY return, can cause future citizenship applications to be (incorrectly) denied.

If you don't want to become a Mexican citizen, then your old contaminated-mistaken INM records are not a problem.

~ Immigration Requirements that Relate to Becoming a Naturalized Citizen

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Nov 20, 2015, 7:04 AM)

therumjournal

Nov 20, 2015, 9:33 AM

Post #7 of 15 (9365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] mix up at border regarding FMM form

thanks YucaLandia! This is what I have assumed, eventually I would like to become a naturalized citizen. I was worried that it may cause a problem when renewing my residency or transitioning to RP from RT.

by the way, off topic question, once I have 2 years of marriage to a Mexican citizen can I go in to INM and apply to change from RT to RP? Or do I have to wait until my two years of residency have been completed, even though there is like a 6 month difference between my 2 year wedding date and 2 year residency date?

I know I have read that I should apply for renewal approx 30 days before my card expires. I was given RT for 2 years instead of 1 year for vinculo familiar program.

YucaLandia

Nov 20, 2015, 11:35 AM

Post #8 of 15 (9343 views)

Shortcut

The Vinculo Familiar program gets the applicant an RT (without leaving Mexico).

We have to complete the combination of both 2 years of being officially married in the eyes of the Mex. Gob. AND 2 years of having an RT ... in both my personal experience and in our best reading of the law.

Since the official wedding date precedes your RT visa, the Fecha de Caducidad on your 2 year RT visa card is the date that you can change from RT to RP.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Nov 20, 2015, 3:29 PM)

playaboy

Nov 20, 2015, 1:58 PM

Post #9 of 15 (9313 views)

Shortcut

You had the stamped half of the FMM from Naco and presented it along with your residente card and passport? What was the INM agent immediately confused about?

mayamex15

Nov 20, 2015, 2:44 PM

Post #10 of 15 (9305 views)

Shortcut

The agent from naco stamped "entry" already so the tijuana agent couldn't put her stamp on it... In naco he kept the bottom half (stamped), gave me the top half (stamped) and I don't think he should have stamped it.

cbviajero

Nov 20, 2015, 3:30 PM

Post #11 of 15 (9295 views)

Shortcut

Naco,that's a pretty funny name for a town,given it's connotations.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Nov 20, 2015, 3:33 PM)

playaboy

Nov 20, 2015, 6:07 PM

Post #12 of 15 (9280 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mayamex15] mix up at border regarding FMM form

That happened to me one time. I caught it before the INM officer stamped my passport. The INM officer stamped right over the first incorrect stamp on the FMM form.

Most of the time the INM officers are admitting people into Mexico, not checking them out. Now I remind them to change their stamp from "E", entrada, to an "S" for salida.

mayamex15

Nov 21, 2015, 7:13 AM

Post #13 of 15 (9212 views)

Shortcut

Just curious, where is the "E" and "S"? The only thing I distinguish is a car for land and a plane for airport. But the stamps aren't that good quality so I can't make out everything.

It would be so much less a a hassle if they were able to just swipe or scan the card... This form is a waste! And they scan the card and form it seems, so can't they just do away with the form? I'm sure like our government, it makes too much sense and will never get done until they spends millions on some study a 5 year old could figure out. Oh well, that's the fun of traveling! Hopefully it doesn't mess up my citizenship application in another year!

playaboy

Nov 21, 2015, 7:22 AM

Post #14 of 15 (9208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mayamex15] mix up at border regarding FMM form

Look at the date on the stamp. After the year there will be an "E" or "S".

mayamex15

Nov 21, 2015, 8:01 AM

Post #15 of 15 (9196 views)

Shortcut

Got it! Thanks!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4