Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

at7mbe

Nov 11, 2015, 6:48 AM

Post #1 of 24 (11166 views)

Shortcut

Google Maps gets offline search and navigation

Can't Post | Private Reply
I think this is noteworthy enough that it's worth reposting here, having just posted it to my local Michoacan_net group.
-------
Google Maps has become the go-to web and smart-phone application for getting driving directions and doing map navigation. But until now, it required an internet connection (though the phone app Google Maps had a hidden and limited capability to cache small sections of a map for use without internet). Since smartphones almost always have a GPS, it's a wonderful tool for navigating around road closures in Morelia or the back country of the meseta, IF you have a data plan for your phone.

Having a data plan is no longer a requirement. Google "Offline Maps and Navigation" is a new app for Android phones that lets you download area maps of a state or country (Mexico's map is 300 megabytes). You can then do many of things that formerly required an internet connection -- get directions, see maps, display and have spoken turn-by-turn driving directions, etc.

http://www.engadget.com/...-offline-navigation/

It's available now for Android, and is promised soon for iPhones. Things to be aware of:

Look for Mexico under "South America" when searching for maps to download. Not exactly a confidence-builder if they don't know which continent a country is in.

It appears to be based on Open Street Maps data, not Google mapping data. The map quality may not be as high, since Open Street Maps is a global community-sourced mapping project without Google's financial resources to verify map data. On the other hand, things that people have added to the global Open Street Map database, like the interior structures in Casa de los Once Patios in Patzcuaro are right there on the map, as are the stairs going uphill from there.

Google Map features available with a data connection, like real-time traffic updates and satellite or street-level views are absent.

A premium version (US $20) is advertized that claims to project a heads-up display on the windshield of your car at night and some other whizzy features.

I just downloaded it, but haven't taken it for a drive yet with my Telcel data plan turned off. But it did generate a navigation route as promised.

It's funny how you learn about things. I stumbled into the Offline Maps announcement purely by accident last night while reading mimorelia.com about the planned demonstrations in Morelia today.

http://www.mimorelia.com/...on-a-internet/185128

-- Mark

Aaron+

Nov 11, 2015, 11:38 AM

Post #2 of 24 (11119 views)

Shortcut

Re: [at7mbe] Google Maps gets offline search and navigation

Useful.
Will soon by in Mexico City and wandering about without always having access to a WiFi connection. Will download the relevant sections of the city. Will also carry my Guia Roja paper map book.

chinagringo

Nov 11, 2015, 8:01 PM

Post #3 of 24 (11077 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Google Maps gets offline search and navigation

Aaron:

After seeing Mark's post, I started to play with this. I downloaded a Mexico City map that covers all the areas we are interested in for our upcoming trip (first time ever in CDMX) in Feb. My plan is to locate all the points of interest we plan to visit this trip and also all the recommended restaurants that friends have been kind enough to suggest. Between this and the multitude of apps available for Mexico City (metro, bus,Turibus maps, etc), I would like to think that paper maps have pretty much become obsolete? I am not sure it is necessary to save maps of given "zonas" since in my intial trials, it appears that one can zoom in on any given section of the City? I know our Guia Roja map book has become a wasted resource for all our recent drives throughout Central Mexico given the fact that we have a well used Garmin GPS and now a smartphone with Google Maps that seem to be quite good. Last trip was 1600 miles and I never referred to it once.

Since you mention WIFI, I am going to guess that you don't have a data plan to support the constant use of Google Maps? In doing some reading on this topic, I understand that the offline map will work in the absence of WIFI or cell data but will automatically switch if either is available?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

La Isla

Nov 12, 2015, 8:37 AM

Post #4 of 24 (11043 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Google Maps gets offline search and navigation

In Reply To
Aaron:

I would like to think that paper maps have pretty much become obsolete?

They're not obsolete for those of us who don't have smartphones!

RickS

Nov 12, 2015, 9:06 AM

Post #5 of 24 (11032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Google Maps gets offline search and navigation

"They're not obsolete for those of us who don't have smartphones!"

Yes, but there are not but 3 of you left in the country.....

La Isla

Nov 12, 2015, 9:13 AM

Post #6 of 24 (11029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Google Maps gets offline search and navigation

In Reply To

I've always liked being part of a proud minority. I love my basic "teléfono no inteligente" and couldn't bear to give it up for one of those new-fangled smart-ass so-called smart phones!

(This post was edited by La Isla on Nov 12, 2015, 9:14 AM)

rvgringo

Nov 12, 2015, 9:58 AM

Post #7 of 24 (11016 views)

Shortcut

One more here!
I use paper maps, wired telephones and use a key to get into the car and the windows have cranks.
Keep it simple.

chinagringo

Nov 12, 2015, 10:02 AM

Post #8 of 24 (11015 views)

Shortcut

But as a long time resident of Mexico City, you are already fully in the know. We could do the same with our GPS but another bulky thing to carry around that isn't as convenient as a smartphone for walking around. Besides, a real honest to goodness camera is way more important as I don't believe in taking photos with the smartphone.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

La Isla

Nov 12, 2015, 10:10 AM

Post #9 of 24 (11011 views)

Shortcut

I have a wonderful, but somewhat bulky SLR digital camera, which I only take with me on planned photography walks. Believe it or not, there are a few smart phones that have cameras that even professional photographers recommend and use, including a former teacher of mine living in the States. I haven't bought a smart phone till I can afford to buy one with an excellent camera. Until that day, I will stick with my faithful Nikkon D3000.

cbviajero

Nov 12, 2015, 10:18 AM

Post #10 of 24 (11011 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Make that 4.
As far as driving in Mexico City..take a cab,the Metro or a bus would be my suggestion.

morgaine7

Nov 12, 2015, 10:48 AM

Post #11 of 24 (11004 views)

Shortcut

#5 here with a "stupid phone". Also a car with crank windows. I do draw the line at land line phones with cords, though I have one in case the power goes out.

La Isla

Nov 12, 2015, 12:41 PM

Post #12 of 24 (10988 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Google Maps gets offline search and navigation

I do have a land-line phone with a cord (it came with my apartment), but I use it mostly for calling my mother in the States. The vast majority of the calls I receive on it are those damn wrong numbers!

chinagringo

Nov 12, 2015, 12:45 PM

Post #13 of 24 (10987 views)

Shortcut

I would never ever give up a NIKON D3000 or any other high quality DSLR in favor of a smartphone camera. There is a reason that the quality "photo sell" sites actually specify which cameras they will accept photos from.

Have no intention of driving in Mexico City but the maps will work while walking, riding buses or taxis and even more important when cell signals might be blocked by buildings. Forget using if underground on the metro because any GPS signal would be blocked.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

La Isla

Nov 12, 2015, 1:00 PM

Post #14 of 24 (10978 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I would never ever give up a NIKON D3000 or any other high quality DSLR in favor of a smartphone camera. There is a reason that the quality "photo sell" sites actually specify which cameras they will accept photos from.

I would never give up my Nikon. It's just that I often see a photo just waiting to be taken when I don't have it with me, but if I had a smartphone, it would always be available for taking pictures, and the smartphone I'm thinking of getting comes highly recommended by my former photography teacher.

playaboy

Nov 12, 2015, 3:40 PM

Post #15 of 24 (10962 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

WELCOME TO JURASSIC PARK

chinagringo

Nov 12, 2015, 5:45 PM

Post #16 of 24 (10940 views)

Shortcut

To each their own and their own decisions but for myself, I could never be satisfied with a smartphone photo as being representative of our experiences. As an "Oriental" once removed,I figure it is my duty and responsibility to carry at least one real camera at all times when traveling and experiencing new things. With 50K+ photos available on Picasa and "views" rapidly approaching 2,500,000 - I figure I may just be entertaining some folks and educating on parts of Mexico that do not fall into the typical beach resort joke. And guess what folks? You will not find a single "selfie" in all those photos!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

La Isla

Nov 12, 2015, 6:13 PM

Post #17 of 24 (10936 views)

Shortcut

Since I live in Mexico, rather than visit regularly, a lot of the pictures I take, or want to take, are of everyday themes and places (no people, though), often in my neighborhood, and I certainly don't take my Nikkon with me every time I leave my apartment. Years ago I took lots of touristy shots, but now mine are more "pure" photography, taken to fulfill my aesthetic proclivities and not for educating and entertaining the world at large about Mexico.

To each his own, of course, and to each of us our own approach to this fascinating hobby!

chinagringo

Nov 13, 2015, 5:10 PM

Post #18 of 24 (10858 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the politically correct "soft jab" inferring that our Mexico experiences are less important because we don't live there and therefore we may be clueless as to what is important!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

La Isla

Nov 13, 2015, 5:23 PM

Post #19 of 24 (10855 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for the politically correct "soft jab" inferring that our Mexico experiences are less important because we don't live there and therefore we may be clueless as to what is important!

I didn't mean that at all. Just that living here I find different things to photograph than I would if I were traveling around the country. No need to be so defensive.

YucaLandia

Nov 14, 2015, 9:47 AM

Post #20 of 24 (10800 views)

Shortcut

Photography is such a personal thing, that we should expect each of us see it differently.
Our fotos and what we do with them are personal expressions of ourselves.

Some people's fotos are a very personal thing, meaningful images, taken for themselves, to be shared with only a few people close to us.

Other individuals take 100,000's of fotos and publicly post 50,000 or so of them for public viewing, and are proud to recount over 2 million views of their website.

Neither is right ... neither is wrong ... as it is all about personal style.

People seeking public approbation are simply wired differently from more private individuals, taking different styles of fotos.

Tolerance of others goes a long way in making and maintaining good communities ...

Sadly, over the past 3 decades, we continue to see more and more people who personally take the smallest things as personal slights, demanding attention.

When some people's perceived-hurts and perceived-slights get large enough, they bubble-over, lashing-out at even well-meaning others ... even overflowing onto unrelated innocents.

Our little communities can be microcosms, reflecting trends in the greater world. ... as we've just seen how intolerance translates into anger ... proudly expressed verbally ... that later boils-over into "fully-justified" attacks on innocent strangers ... like in Paris.

We can choose to nip this stuff in the bud, while it is small ... promoting tolerance ... nurturing respect for others...

or we can show tacit approval of simmering resentments, by not addressing them ... as they fester over time into ... personal attacks on newbies to forums ... growing into predictable, repeated personal judgmental critiques of even innocent questions by newbies ... and then bubbling over onto even long-standing gentle forum members.

Just what is Mexconnect ?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Nov 14, 2015, 10:35 AM)

La Isla

Nov 14, 2015, 10:39 AM

Post #21 of 24 (10781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Google Maps gets offline search and navigation

In Reply To
Photography is such a personal thing, that we should expect each of us see it differently.
Our fotos and what we do with them are personal expressions of ourselves.

Some people's fotos are a very personal thing, meaningful images, taken for themselves, to be shared with only a few people close to us.

Other people take 100,000's of fotos and publicly post 10,000's of them for public viewing, proud to recount over 2 million views of their website.

I like sharing my fotos, but just with my Facebook friends and a few other friends who don't have FB accounts. I appreciate their comments and their appreciation of my work.

I also appreciate the above wise comments of Yucalandia about the uses and meaning of photography to those of us who practice this art as devoted amateurs.

chinagringo

Nov 14, 2015, 4:18 PM

Post #22 of 24 (10755 views)

Shortcut

I have just learned two things about posting on MexConnect:
1) Tongue in cheeck comments tend to go "whoosh" and fly at too high an altitude to be grasped.
2) Retiring to the Yucatan provides one with powers to read minds and interpret motivations. Maybe if I were to wear an "aluminum foil" helmet while composing, it would prevent that from happening?

Now for some truisms:
1) Central and Southern Mexico have been economically damaged by the actions of not only the media but also those of the US State Dept with all their warnings.
2) These areas of Mexico have been ignored by many travelers from various foreign countries and positive info is often hard to find.
3) We document our travels through photo albums on Picasa, videos on YouTube and by publishing reviews, photos and travel articles on TripAdvisor. I defy anyone to find and document an instance where we are bragging or promoting ourselves. Our reviews are carefully written to publicize or inform on an attraction, a hotel or a restaurant to allow people to make their own decisions.
4) You will never find any activity out of us on any of what we call the "ME-ME" social media websites like Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, etc. because it isn't about us!
5) Mexico and its history, its culture, its people and its landscape have provided us with an education and an infinite amount of enjoyment.

It is our way of attempting to give back and while you may not agree, this happens to be our choice!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

Nov 14, 2015, 4:54 PM

Post #23 of 24 (10751 views)

Shortcut

Neil,
Re-read my post.

It's all good.

You simply have different motivators than Isla.

People certainly enjoy your fotos.

Your latest post magnifies the issue & repeats the issue described above: Some people are imagining slights ... where there are none.

Some people are imagining and challenging imagined "soft jabs" ... where there are none.

Some people are lashing out at those imagined "soft jabs", and then justifying their lashing-out.

The same crowd that imagines they are being criticized, ironically are the same ones who regularly attack & criticize newbies for asking innocent questions.

When Isla describes the facts of her personal photography process, it's not an attack ...

You and Isla simply have different styles.

Your website is MARVELOUS ...

Your website is a GREAT BLESSING ...

It is WONDERFUL that you can tell us about getting 2.5 million views.
The internet can be a terrific place with tons of opportunities ... especially when people tolerate other's differences.

Happy Trails ...

and Enjoy the Weekend !
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RickS

Nov 15, 2015, 7:23 AM

Post #24 of 24 (10702 views)

Shortcut

OK, folks.... back to the subject of the original Post.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4