Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ckwells

Nov 11, 2015, 9:47 AM

Post #1 of 3 (6134 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Mexico from two different countries

Can't Post | Private Reply
My family and I are planning a move to Mexico in January 2016. We currently live in Honduras full-time, but are U.S. citizens. We will be going to the Mexican Consulate to get our residency setup in our "home" state prior to our move.

One of our plans was for my son and I to fly back to Honduras to get our household items and drive into Mexico from here (Guatemala crossing of course). We have made this trip before and is no problem, but only for the purpose of visiting. My wife and other son will fly from our home state directly into Mexico (at least this is the "plan" and nothing in stone yet).

My question is, would it cause hassle to have us split up as a family entering the country? I can imagine the questions we might encounter at border crossings between here (Honduras) and our destination in Mexico... Any ideas or anyone experience this before? And in general, is there anyone who has made a move to Mexico from another country outside of North America?

Aaron+

Nov 11, 2015, 11:30 AM

Post #2 of 3 (6101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ckwells] Moving to Mexico from two different countries

No, no such experience here.
Your biggest problem may be called Guatemala. Not directly relevant, but of interest, see http://www.expat-blog.com/...wtopic.php?id=213765. If you are just driving a carload, my guess is that the Guatemalan, officials won't be two bad, but may require you posting a more or less refundable bond that your goods will cross and not stay in Guatemala. However, talk with local shippers or with Guatemalan Customs at the nearest border.

As for your families, consult the Mexican Embassy in Honduras. There is a lot of good info on obtaining residency in Mexico, on this website and others plus the Mexican INM site, and depends on what status you are seeking and for what you can qualify.

morgaine7

Nov 11, 2015, 3:22 PM

Post #3 of 3 (6071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ckwells] Moving to Mexico from two different countries

And in general, is there anyone who has made a move to Mexico from another country outside of North America?

I'm a US citizen and moved directly to Mexico from Egypt in 2007. Regulations have changed since then, so I don't know that my experience would be of any help to you, but feel free to ask if it might be relevant.

Kate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4