Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Aaron+

Nov 4, 2015, 3:33 PM

Post #1 of 4 (6804 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Supreme Court permits marijuana cultivation and use by four persons

Can't Post | Private Reply
The First Chamber of the Mexican Supreme Court today, in a 4-1 vote, extended, through an amparo (a protective order), its protection to four marijuana users who petitioned for the right to cultivate, transport, and consume marijuana for recreational purposes. The one dissenting justice did so as the decision does not specify how the users are to obtain seeds, etc. He was not necessarily opposed to opening the door for a national discussion on the decriminalization of recreational marijuana.

Please note that the decision does not mean that you or, he he, I, can rush out and grow for self-consumption, marijuana. Nor does it even provide that the four persons issued the amparo can sell any of their product. Self-consumption.

There are two salas or chambers of the Mexican Supreme Court. The first sala rules on criminal and civil law cases, the second on matters concerning the government and employment.

Anyhow, be careful about putting this news in your pipe and smoking on it.

Lilmsmaggie

Nov 7, 2015, 12:53 PM

Post #2 of 4 (6735 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Mexican Supreme Court permits marijuana cultivation and use by four persons

There was a media report here in California that stated over 75% of Mexicans did not support the legalization of Marijuana.

I found that quite amazing but then those who were asked to participate in that poll were either hand-picked or maybe Mexicans don't feel it will put a dent in Cartel activities or related violence.

I think the availability of medical marijuana here in California as well as Washington and Colorado and other states have had an effect on cartel grows where it has become less of a cash crop outside of Mexico.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

richmx2

Nov 7, 2015, 2:02 PM

Post #3 of 4 (6723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lilmsmaggie] Mexican Supreme Court permits marijuana cultivation and use by four persons

No, those figures sound about right. I think foreigners' are looking at this through their own perspective, marijuana smoking being both more tolerated by north of the border foreigners, and by the oft-noted tendency of Mexicans to simply be agreeable with foreigners. The highest official figures I've seen for casual users is 2.5 percent, which those who say Mexican statistical data under-reports suggest that the "black numbers" might be off by a factor of four.. .making the casual use of marijuana still only 10 percent of adults, compared to 20-25 percent of US adults who REGULARLY smoke marijuana.

While there is a live and let live (or rather, "stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours... mostly") attitude here, the Mexican middle class and much of the working class considers marijuana smokers to be either nacos or the decadent rich (or ... perhaps even lower... wannabe gringos).

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

cbviajero

Nov 7, 2015, 2:34 PM

Post #4 of 4 (6720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Mexican Supreme Court permits marijuana cultivation and use by four persons

What I've always found curious is how many Mexicans refer to any drug user as marijuanos.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4