Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

TravisMcGee

Nov 1, 2015, 9:43 AM

Post #1 of 14 (9628 views)

Shortcut

Reapplying for Temporary Visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
I obtained a Temporary Residency Visa in Sacramento in June, and entered Mexico late June. Even though I specifically show the Temporary Visa in my Passport, immigration at the Nogales border stamped me as a 180 Tourist Visa, which I did not even know to look for.

There is apparently no way around this - I must fly back to the US and begin the process anew. Question; Once my US Passport has the new Temporary Residency Visa, what, and how, do I fill out the Immigration form when flying back into Mexico?

Thanks

(This post was edited by TravisMcGee on Nov 1, 2015, 9:51 AM)

rvgringo

Nov 1, 2015, 9:50 AM

Post #2 of 14 (9625 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TravisMcGee] Reapplying for Temporary Visa

Be sure the FMM is marked in the “other“ space as CANJE/Residente Temporal, etc. Not tourist/visitante, which cancels your application, as you discovered the hard way. The border agents often have no idea what they are doing in these rare instances.

playaboy

Nov 2, 2015, 6:01 AM

Post #3 of 14 (9548 views)

Shortcut

Travis, that sucks. Sorry it happened. Here is a step by step with pictures of FMM

In box 9, you are to check the spot marked "otro/other". In the open space next to the "otro" write the word "canje". The INM officer, who processes thousands of FMM's a shift, will notice that something is different from normal.

The INM Officer is to check the CANJE (Exchange) box under the 30 day maximum stay section, part of the USO OFFICIAL section. Individuals are not allowed to write in this section. Make sure that they did that.

My Spanish is not fluent but I will bet that when you sign this FMM document, you are declaring everything is true and correct. That makes it our responsibility, not INM's, you enter the Mexico correctly.
Attachments: fmm.pdf (88.8 KB)

TravisMcGee

Nov 2, 2015, 11:16 AM

Post #4 of 14 (9490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Reapplying for Temporary Visa

Thanks everyone for the information!

therumjournal

Nov 4, 2015, 10:22 AM

Post #5 of 14 (9380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Reapplying for Temporary Visa

i had a similar situation and the outcome has not been determined as I have not returned to mexico yet. I left mexico from Naco, and the INM agent had NO CLUE what to do. he had to make a phone call to somewhere and then he figured out the form. there WAS a box marked by the INM agent for RESIDENT CARD and I also instructed him to WRITE RESIDENTE TEMPORAL (or permanente if you are) on both top and bottom. Hopefully I'll be ok when I go back.

(This post was edited by therumjournal on Nov 4, 2015, 10:22 AM)

Lilmsmaggie

Nov 7, 2015, 12:43 PM

Post #6 of 14 (9282 views)

Shortcut

Interesting and timely thread. I live just south of Sacramento. I'm on vacation until the end of the year and then beginning December 31, 2015, I'm officially retired.

I was under the impression that you had 30 days from the day the Mexican Consulate here in Sacramento processed your RT paperwork to report to an INM office to complete the process. Since I haven't actually gone through the process myself, I assumed that the Mexican Consulate would have stamped your passport with the appropriate entry. I guess you need to pay close attention to what the border guards are doing.

I'm planning on flying from Sacramento to PV sometimes within the coming year.

Maybe the Consulate office could provide you with a bit of advice when presenting your passport on your return trip?
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

(This post was edited by Lilmsmaggie on Nov 7, 2015, 12:44 PM)

rvgringo

Nov 7, 2015, 3:08 PM

Post #7 of 14 (9259 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lilmsmaggie] Reapplying for Temporary Visa

I think that, from the time the Mexican consulate approves your request for a residence visa, you have 180 days to enter Mexico. Then, from the date of entry, you must report to INM seerving your residence with proof of residence to begin the rest of the process. During that process, you will have a “tramite“ form with a website and password to monitor the progress, and to use for travel within Mexico, if needed. but it is not good for international travel.

YucaLandia

Nov 7, 2015, 4:24 PM

Post #8 of 14 (9244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lilmsmaggie] Reapplying for Temporary Visa

In Reply To
Interesting and timely thread. I live just south of Sacramento. I'm on vacation until the end of the year and then beginning December 31, 2015, I'm officially retired.

I was under the impression that you had 30 days from the day the Mexican Consulate here in Sacramento processed your RT paperwork to report to an INM office to complete the process. Since I haven't actually gone through the process myself, I assumed that the Mexican Consulate would have stamped your passport with the appropriate entry. I guess you need to pay close attention to what the border guards are doing.

I'm planning on flying from Sacramento to PV sometimes within the coming year.

Maybe the Consulate office could provide you with a bit of advice when presenting your passport on your return trip?

We have 180 days to enter Mexico after a Mex. Consulate puts the ¨canje¨stamp in our passport.

As you enter Mexico, be sure to check that INM only gave you a special 30 day visa ... NOT a 180 day tourist-visitante visa ... so you have 30 days to get into your INM office to continue and complete the Residente visa process.

Detailed instructions here ... ~ How to File for Residency

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Nov 7, 2015, 4:43 PM)

Lilmsmaggie

Nov 9, 2015, 9:33 AM

Post #9 of 14 (9137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Reapplying for Temporary Visa

Thanks rvgringo and YucaLandia for the clarification.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

YucaLandia

Nov 9, 2015, 11:59 AM

Post #10 of 14 (9114 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

We have 180 days to enter Mexico after a Mex. Consulate puts the ¨canje¨stamp in our passport.

As you enter Mexico, be sure to check that INM only gave you a special 30 day visa ... NOT a 180 day tourist-visitante visa ... so you have 30 days to get into your INM office to continue and complete the Residente visa process.

Detailed instructions here ... ~ How to File for Residency

Happy Trails,
steve

Clarification to " a Mex. Consulate puts the ¨canje¨ stamp in our passport. "

I wrote the "canje" in quotation marks, because that's the specific request you make to INM when you come to Mexico, and because some people, like Rolly Brook and our local INM office clerk called it that in the past.

Does anybody reading this know exactly what that Consular stamp in our passport is formally called?

Is it called "a 30 day visa stamp" ?

To me, the name of the stamp isn't critical, as long as we all know/agree on what we are describing when we talk about a "canje stamp" .... which is similar to talking about "Obamacare" ... when there really is no such legal thing as "Obamacare", nor even " ACA " ...

That programs official legal name is : The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act ... officially called the " PPACA " in US government publications ... but when we say "Obamacare", is anyone confused?

Happy Trails ... and
BEST of Luck with completing your visa process,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

playaboy

Nov 9, 2015, 4:01 PM

Post #11 of 14 (9082 views)

Shortcut

Steve and RVG, there is no such thing as a canje stamp. There has never been.

The consulate doesn't give out canje's. The consulate attaches a MEXICO VISA to your passport (exactly like a tourist gets when from a country where visa's are required to visit Mexico). The word canje is nowhere to be found on the VISA.

The INM stamp at the border is the same stamp everybody gets when entering Mexico. It has the date, an "E" for entry, and a picture of a car or plane depending on how you enter.

Canje is a box the INM officer can check, and should check for new approved residents, on an FMM. Look at the FMM attached. That is the only place you see the word canje. A canje box is on each and every FMM.

This is the correct terminology. This is how it works. You 2 have not been thru this process. Boys, feel free to copy and paste this when folks ask again so you can answer correctly.

You should also read this thread you both participated in, less than a month ago, again.

http://www.mexconnect.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Attachments: fmm.pdf (88.8 KB)

YucaLandia

Nov 9, 2015, 5:14 PM

Post #12 of 14 (9070 views)

Shortcut

Cool.

I was stuck.

Since our Residente Temporal visa cards do not say "visa" anywhere on them, and since our Residente Permanente visa cards do not say "visa" on them anywhere, it's tempting to say that Residente Temporal permits and Residente Permanente permits are not "visas" . Yet, the INM law and Lineamientos and Reglamentos call both the Residente Temporal & Permanente permits ... a "visa" ,

Hence, my prior stuck*ness.

Does the Consular stamp in our passports say "visa" on it ?
(I have no logon at expat.com)

Thanks for the update!
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

playaboy

Nov 10, 2015, 4:39 AM

Post #13 of 14 (9026 views)

Shortcut

There is no stamp from the consulate. They attach a "MEXICO VISA" to one of the pages in your passport. I wouldn't call that a stamp.

I attached a photo of one I pulled off of google. It looks just like mine. You can read everything. Does anyone see the word "Canje"? It does not say "Canje" anywhere.

Hope this un-sticks you. You can put this correct info on Yucalandia

Is there anyone else that has been approved for residency at a consulate that has received anything different than what I have outlined?

There is another common misconception about the residency process at the consulates. Once you get your Visa at the consulate you have been APPROVED, not pre-approved. Only when you report to your local INM office as required, do you start the process of obtaining your residente card that you have been approved for.
Attachments: Mexico Visa.jpeg (52.0 KB)

Aaron+

Nov 11, 2015, 11:36 AM

Post #14 of 14 (8927 views)

Shortcut

Approval, uh huh. INM has the final word, not the Foreign Ministry (consulates, embassies). You can be "approved" if you will for a visa, and rejected by INM for residency. Gobernación rules the roost.

Not any different really from the USA. A US consular section may authorize a visa, some tourist or immigrant class, and DHS/USCIS can refuse entry or otherwise deny the desired status.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4