Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

mskitty

Nov 1, 2015, 8:45 AM

Post #1 of 11 (6638 views)

Shortcut

Best area around Ensenada for small 6 mo rental

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm thinking of driving down from Oregon for about 6 months, in December or January. Single f age 73, alone (old but healthy!). Live on social security, so not rich. In past years, I understood that it was very possible to find affordable housing in Ensenada or Punta Banda, am wondering if this is still the case? By affordable, I mean probably no more than $350/mo, for furnished. Less if I have to pay utilities, internet access, etc.

Making the drive would mean putting my few belongings in storage, not having a 'home' here while I'm gone, so aside from the long drive it's a big step and I can't afford to take it without some sense of security that I'll be able to find something once I arrive. I don't need or want fancy, just decent, small, and safe. Doesn't need to be in gringo community. I'm not a nervous nellie or fearful of living in the general community.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

rvgringo

Nov 1, 2015, 9:44 AM

Post #2 of 11 (6632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mskitty] Best area around Ensenada for small 6 mo rental

Have you tried a search online, such as “departamentos en renta en Ensenada, Mexico“? That will give you an idea of what is available, and where. The only caution is to insure that water is available. Some areas have had problems because of drought and problems with wells; maybe so in Punbta Banda, I heard.

mskitty

Nov 1, 2015, 10:10 AM

Post #3 of 11 (6628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Best area around Ensenada for small 6 mo rental

My Spanish is rudimentary at best, so I haven't looked for listings in Spanish. The water issue is new info for me, and certainly important to check out, so thanks for that.

Anybody know how bad this is, and if Ensenada itself is affected? Any forecasts that it'll get better as the forecast El Nino arrives?

rvgringo

Nov 1, 2015, 10:22 AM

Post #4 of 11 (6626 views)

Shortcut

With a little effort, you should be able to handle the advertisements, many of which can be translated online.
The whole area is affected, but the city proper will be your best bet, rather than a separate fraccionamento with its own wells and potential for failure. I also understand that there may be desalinization plants on the horizon, as in some coastal cities in California; El Morro, for example.
Of course, you could negotiate with a downtown hotel for a monthly rate, which would give you time to explore your options; maybe even finding a bilingual assistant.
Keep us informed. We lived in Chapala for 13 years & moved to Tucson for VA & Medicare, but other than that we really miss Mexico & might consider Ensenada ourselves, if we could handle commuting to the USA from there for VA & medicare, etc.

mskitty

Nov 1, 2015, 10:34 AM

Post #5 of 11 (6623 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Best area around Ensenada for small 6 mo rental

Thanks so much for the advice! IF I decide to come, I think a monthly rate at a hotel might be best, or something of that sort. I'm a long way from the comfort zone I need in order to try it, tho.

Sorry you had to leave MX for medical issues. One of the things I like about northern Baja is the proximity to the San Diego area, should I need it. I guess the border crossings are not fun, but otherwise it's at least close by. So far, no real medical issues here, but of course that could change any day.

Thanks again.

rvgringo

Nov 1, 2015, 10:43 AM

Post #6 of 11 (6622 views)

Shortcut

I just did a 60 second search and found this: http://www.vivanuncios.com.mx/...nada/v1c1098l10011p1
It fits your budget and by hitting “translate this page“ it came up in reasonable English. Of course, that is only one site, vivanuncios, and you will see many others if you put ‘departamentos en renta en Ensenada, Mexico‘ in your search. Have fun.

(This post was edited by RickS on Nov 16, 2015, 9:01 PM)

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Nov 1, 2015, 6:54 PM

Post #7 of 11 (6592 views)

Shortcut

Suggest you join this Yahoo Group and post your query there. Click on this link:

Punta Banda Community Bulletin Board

Suerte,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

TedZar

Nov 16, 2015, 4:05 PM

Post #8 of 11 (6485 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kimpatsu Hekigan] Best area around Ensenada for small 6 mo rental

I agree, the Punta Banda BB will be your best bet. There are many areas NOT affected by the water problem in the city as many of us have water delivered. You should be able to find a decent small place for a few months. Ask specifically about Campo La Jolla or the Punta Banda area. In this area we are out of town a bit but easy access by microbus for 12 pesos. Put a post on the PBBB and you'll find some good options. Welcome!

(This post was edited by TedZar on Nov 16, 2015, 4:06 PM)

maryellen1952

Dec 16, 2015, 8:38 AM

Post #9 of 11 (6319 views)

Shortcut

I left the Punta Banda area in October and now in Sonora/San Carlos. It's going to be very difficult to find something in PB under $400 unless you plan to live in a Mexican neighborhood and you will need a basic understanding of Spanish. Most places at those prices do not include utilities and most do not have A/C and/or heat. The entire state of Ensenada and Sonora are in drought and many places including PB require water being trucked in and that is an additional cost. Here in Sonora some days we don't have water for a couple of hours; it's just part of the problem with lack of water.
Because so many Americans have moved to the state of Baja is is not very cheap to live there anymore.

chicois8

Dec 16, 2015, 8:41 PM

Post #10 of 11 (6297 views)

Shortcut

Re: [maryellen1952] Best area around Ensenada for small 6 mo rental

the closer you are to the border the prices will be higher than in mainland Mexico...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

maryellen1952

Dec 17, 2015, 7:58 AM

Post #11 of 11 (6278 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Best area around Ensenada for small 6 mo rental

That's not necessarily true. If you check the list of most expensive places to live in Mexico they are NOT close to the border, i.e., Cabo San Lucas, D.F., Cuernavaca, San Miguel Allende, etc.
Ensenada is not that close to the border; it's a 2 hour drive to the border; Tijuana is cheaper than Ensenada because it is a much larger city and it's right on the border. Same with Nogales; it is cheaper than Hermosillo or San Carlos or Guaymas.
I am now in San Carlos, Sonora which is at least a 7 hour drive from the border and it is more expensive than the places I lived in Baja.
So it all depends on the area and competition.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4