Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

joaquinx

Oct 30, 2015, 8:33 AM

Post #1 of 12 (7491 views)

Shortcut

Chromebook

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is anyone using a Chromebook rather than a PC or a Mac?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 30, 2015, 1:09 PM

Post #2 of 12 (7471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Chromebook

Although I do not use it, a techie friend commented that "Chrome works great on tablets" . He said nothing more or less than that.

joaquinx

Oct 30, 2015, 1:22 PM

Post #3 of 12 (7466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Chromebook

Not the browser, but the OS that runs on an laptop like computer.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 30, 2015, 4:19 PM

Post #4 of 12 (7453 views)

Shortcut

I just read the following on our Lake Chapala Web Forum

Google plans to “fold” its web-only desktop operating system, Chrome OS, into Android by 2017, the Wall Street Journal claims.

joaquinx

Oct 30, 2015, 4:27 PM

Post #5 of 12 (7450 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Chromebook

I read that and a number of recent articles that said different. So do we trust Google once again or not?
_______

johanson / Moderator

Oct 30, 2015, 5:07 PM

Post #6 of 12 (7446 views)

Shortcut

I guess only time will tell. I am not an expert on the subject.
Try (click on) this link and see what it says. Link

If the link doesn't work, because I screwed up, here it is shown below

http://venturebeat.com/...ome-os-with-android/

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 30, 2015, 5:09 PM)

chinagringo

Oct 30, 2015, 6:37 PM

Post #7 of 12 (7433 views)

Shortcut

Not personal experience but an aquaintance who happens to own a Chromebook that he admits to purchasing because it was cheap and without understanding the concept - wishes he never spent the money! To quote him: "my unit is totally useless unless I have access to WIFI all the time". Beyond that, I admit to knowing NADA!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

joaquinx

Oct 30, 2015, 6:44 PM

Post #8 of 12 (7431 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Chromebook

That is very interesting since there are so many places where wifi is available. Plus the fact that many apps have an offline option. Perhaps your friend didn't assess his needs completely and got the cheaper solution.
_______

chinagringo

Oct 30, 2015, 7:18 PM

Post #9 of 12 (7425 views)

Shortcut

Please take note that I didn't say the guy was the sharpest "tack in the box", in fact he was bailing out of the military and looking for a cheap option without having a clue! Does a "chromebook" have internal memory or do you have to rely on the cloud for storage?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

joaquinx

Oct 30, 2015, 7:32 PM

Post #10 of 12 (7420 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Chromebook

It usually comes with 16gb of storage and around 3gb of ram. Plus an SD slot to supply an additional local storage up to 1tb (on some models). It is orientated to Google products such as docs and sheets that are offline apps as well.
I use these products as well as drive (cloud storage). This allows me to access info from my laptop with my phone anywhere.
_______

jwp_007

Nov 6, 2015, 3:04 PM

Post #11 of 12 (7384 views)

Shortcut

I use a Toshiba chromebook here in Mexico. It is a newer model with 16gb of internal storage, a usb port, and an SD card reader slot. I love the thing - yes it is wi-fi only but that has not been a problem. Very light weight, good keyboard, good screen. I swore never again to buy anything connected with Microsoft after the windows 8 and 8.1 fiasco's. No more waiting 10 minutes to boot up (15 seconds on my chromebook), no more "you have 75 updates waiting, install now?" , no unexplained crashes or lockups. I really like my chromebook

DavidHF

Nov 9, 2015, 8:56 AM

Post #12 of 12 (7345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwp_007] Chromebook

I have a Samsung Surface Pro tablet that has Chrome. I love it!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4