Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

steve.lafler

Oct 29, 2015, 4:26 PM

Post #1 of 20 (11007 views)

Shortcut

Income requirement for resident visa?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello. I've been living in Mexico for 8 years, and had a resident visa for several of these years. Then I went back to tourist visa due to car issues.

Now, I'm going to apply for a resident visa again. Does anyone here know the current (one person) income requirement for the visa?

thanks much.

Maesonna

Oct 29, 2015, 8:40 PM

Post #2 of 20 (10978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [steve.lafler] Income requirement for resident visa?

According to Mexican government websites, for residente temporal, it is savings of at least 1,402,000 pesos for at least the last twelve months OR monthly income of at least 28,040 pesos per month for the last 6 months. (Some people have reported being asked for a full year of monthly income.)

For residente permanente it is either savings of at least 1,752,500 pesos or monthly income of at least 35,050 pesos for 6 months.

These amounts are based on the salario mínimo, so they will change if the salario mínimo changes.

To find out the dollar equivalent, you can use a website like XE Currency Converter, or simply type (for example) 20040 MXN to USD into a Google search box.

Of course the Mexican immigration officials will use the exchange rate that is in effect around the time you submit your proof of income with your application, but doing the conversion will give you an idea of about how much it is.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Oct 29, 2015, 9:17 PM)

steve.lafler

Oct 29, 2015, 8:49 PM

Post #3 of 20 (10974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Income requirement for resident visa?

Thank you very much!

Maesonna

Oct 29, 2015, 9:16 PM

Post #4 of 20 (10968 views)

Shortcut

Oops, I made a typo: it’s 28040 of monthly income for residente temporal, not 20040. The difference between them is only 25% more for permanente than temporal.

I corrected it in the original post, too.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Oct 29, 2015, 9:17 PM)

DavidHF

Oct 31, 2015, 5:48 PM

Post #5 of 20 (10806 views)

Shortcut

Just stay on Temporal for 4 years then going Permanente is nearly automatic and you don't have to show income.

playaboy

Oct 31, 2015, 5:56 PM

Post #6 of 20 (10803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Income requirement for resident visa?

FYI, the INM office in Playa del Carmen is requiring income verification and bank statement for anyone going from Temporal or FM3 to permanente. Several of my friends are in the process now. No automatic grandfathering. I have not heard of anyone being denied their permanente because of lack of income.

YucaLandia

Nov 1, 2015, 4:42 AM

Post #7 of 20 (10739 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Just stay on Temporal for 4 years then going Permanente is nearly automatic and you don't have to show income.

Based on recent experiences by foreigners at INM offices from across Mexico, unless you know the applicant's INM local office recent policy: It's better to advise people that they will likely have to show financial documents proving personal fiscal solvency when they change from Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

DavidHF

Nov 1, 2015, 10:22 AM

Post #8 of 20 (10687 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Income requirement for resident visa?

Well, that's simply not the case here in Chapala. No income proof is required after 4 years of Temporal. You can do it earlier with income proof.

YucaLandia

Nov 2, 2015, 10:12 AM

Post #9 of 20 (10612 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Well, that's simply not the case here in Chapala. No income proof is required after 4 years of Temporal. You can do it earlier with income proof.

Hooray for Chapala. It's great that their INM office is following some clauses of the published law.

Since I could not find anything in the OP's posts saying that he was applying in Chapala, I defaulted to advising the he follow the common practice of checking with his local INM office on their current policy on this.

Another reality of adapting-to and enjoying life in Mexico, is to remember that the government "thing" that worked last month in Mexico, may not work the same way tomorrow ... and if we see something for sale today that we really like, maybe buy 3 extra, because it won't be on the shelf ever again. ??

In other words: Rigid expectations run counter to Mexico's varied fluid inherently-changing ways - so rigidity gets quickly battered against the rocks of Mexican reality.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

cbviajero

Nov 2, 2015, 10:51 AM

Post #10 of 20 (10601 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Same policy at the INM in Guadalajara,no income proof required after 4 years of Temporal.

Maesonna

Nov 3, 2015, 11:48 AM

Post #11 of 20 (10528 views)

Shortcut

It may not have been clear from what I posted above, but those income or savings amounts for residente permanente apply to a new immigrant to Mexico who is entering directly as a permanente. They do not apply to persons who are converting to permanente after 4 years of Mexican residency as a residente temporal.

YucaLandia

Nov 3, 2015, 4:10 PM

Post #12 of 20 (10502 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
It may not have been clear from what I posted above, but those income or savings amounts for residente permanente apply to a new immigrant to Mexico who is entering directly as a permanente. They do not apply to persons who are converting to permanente after 4 years of Mexican residency as a residente temporal.

Your post was clear, but local INM officials have the right to add their own local requirements.

Since 2013, our local Merida INM office has been requiring RTs who apply for converting to permanente to show financial documents proving they meet the INM law's personal fiscal solvency requirements.

That's why it's important for the OP to get in touch with his local INM office to find out their current requirements for moving to RP after successfully completing 4 years of temporary residency.

It would be nice if all INM offices followed the same script, but they don't.

Some INM offices require ALL RP applicants (except family members) to prove that they meet INM's RP $$ personal fiscal solvency requirements.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Nov 3, 2015, 4:15 PM)

yucatandreamer

Nov 3, 2015, 4:49 PM

Post #13 of 20 (10494 views)

Shortcut

When we went to Residente Permanente from an old FM3 in January 2014 we did not show any financial papers and neither did other people that we
know. I became a Residente Permanente in Merida..

But as Steve points out it is better to be prepared for anything.

(This post was edited by yucatandreamer on Nov 3, 2015, 5:09 PM)

cbviajero

Nov 4, 2015, 7:18 AM

Post #14 of 20 (10447 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
but local INM officials have the right to add their own local requirements.

Do they have that right,legally?
Isn't the INM a federal institution?

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Nov 4, 2015, 7:52 AM)

rvgringo

Nov 4, 2015, 9:09 AM

Post #15 of 20 (10419 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Income requirement for resident visa?

When we became Residente Permanente a few years ago, we transitioned without financial proofs in Guadalajara because Chapala was requiring such proofs, improperly, I think.

addtocart

Nov 4, 2015, 9:26 AM

Post #16 of 20 (10411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Income requirement for resident visa?

Can't Post |
Two years ago or so, in Manzanillo, I had to bring all the pages from all my US bank and brokerage accounts for the previous 12 months. A stack of paper, believe me.

therumjournal

Nov 4, 2015, 9:47 AM

Post #17 of 20 (10403 views)

Shortcut

I was just going to ask, but you answered it. Are they asking for solvency for RT going to RP for family members? When I applied for the RT, they asked for solvency. Im not sure if they were "requiring" it or just wanted to see I had enough to get by. Maybe because I made the "mistake" of paying for two years instead of one. I'm so glad that I did this, since I don't have to sit through a renewal this year. Just when I go for my RP after two years of marriage to my wife. Either way, I will have the documents ready.

YucaLandia

Nov 4, 2015, 9:54 AM

Post #18 of 20 (10402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Income requirement for resident visa?

In Reply To

In Reply To
but local INM officials have the right to add their own local requirements.

Do they have that right,legally?

Isn't the INM a federal institution?

Yes, INM, Aduana, and SAT are Mexican Gob. federal institutions, but that has almost no bearing on the matter.

For at least the past 20 years, local INM, local Aduana, and local SAT offices have had (and exercised) the rights to establish local additional requirements ... as long as those requirements don't contravene Mexican federal law.

If you read the Ley de Migracion for INM ... (and read the Ley de Aduanera for Aduana & SAT), they are all allowed to add local additional requirements. ... Sidelight: I don't know the inner-workings of the policies about whether individual clerks can stipulate additions, but it's clear that local Delegados can ... and do ... add local requirements.

An additional twist of reality off this "freedom" of local agents: Aduana supervisors and managers have made it abundantly clear in past conversations with them that "We know what is allowed or prohibited ... by just looking at it ..." ... giving Aduana clerks the apparent right to deny (or permit) on-the-spot about anything when foreigners enter Mexico.

We sure all would love it if our Mex. Gob. clerks and agents followed a single uniform set of rules, at all times, at all locations ... but that's not how Mexico has ever worked.
Still, if we think about it all ... a little bit deeper ... don't we all quietly enjoy the far greater personal freedoms ... here in Mexico ... over the nanny-societies ... and nanny-laws ... and nanny-rules ... of the USA ... or Germany or France or ... ?

Similarly: Do we appreciate when fellow foreigners try to force their narrow views and limited personal experiences onto the rest of us?
... or do we value the times when the rules are not enforced to the n'th degree ?

I can count 100's of times when the kindness and liberality of Mexican Govt. clerks and agents ... have bent ... or waived ... or just not strictly applied "the rules" ... in ways that really benefited me & friends ...

For people who don't regularly experience the kindness of Govt. officials:
Those oft-repeated 35 years of happy events occurred only when I was humble ... patient ... not-demanding ... friendly ... calm ... happy ... honest ... and grateful.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Nov 4, 2015, 10:03 AM)

rvgringo

Nov 4, 2015, 10:15 AM

Post #19 of 20 (10390 views)

Shortcut

“For people who don't regularly experience the kindness of Govt. officials:
Those oft-repeated 35 years of happy events occurred only when I was humble ... patient ... not-demanding ... friendly ... calm ... happy ... honest ... and grateful. “

Ditto to that, Steve. It should be emblazoned in large red letters for all to see and understand!

addtocart

Nov 4, 2015, 10:41 AM

Post #20 of 20 (10382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Income requirement for resident visa?

Can't Post |
Back when I had to go to immigration every year, I found myself in line behind some red-faced furriner who was pounding his fist in front of the lady behind the window. He was nearly yelling, "I can't wait two weeks, I have a plane to catch tomorrow! We don't do it this way in Canada!"

After he stomped out, without his documents, I stepped up to the window and said to the lady, "On behalf of everyone else from north of the border, I apologize". Got my papers cleared that day.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4