Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

cbviajero

Oct 29, 2015, 11:46 AM

Post #1 of 10 (7877 views)

Shortcut

El Pulso de la Republica

Can't Post | Private Reply
For the Spanish speakers out there interested in Mexican politics and current affairs, Chumel Torres has some pretty funny videos on his site,kind of a Mexican version of Jon Stewart:

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Oct 29, 2015, 2:00 PM)

cbviajero

Oct 29, 2015, 2:35 PM

Post #2 of 10 (7839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] El Pulso de la Republica

Thank you Tony,I'm link challenged.

playaboy

Oct 29, 2015, 3:12 PM

Post #3 of 10 (7830 views)

Shortcut

There was an article in the LA Times today about this show. It mentions an English version.

http://www.latimes.com/...-20151029-story.html

One paragraph in that article caught my attention.

Not a bad way to make a living, which he does, with enough funds from advertising to leave a budget for travel and investment, no easy task in a country dominated by a government-friendly media landscape. But Torres thinks that has worked to his advantage because the Internet is outside the reach of government censors.

Is there government censorship in Mexico?

cbviajero

Oct 29, 2015, 6:38 PM

Post #4 of 10 (7802 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] El Pulso de la Republica

In Reply To
Is there government censorship in Mexico?

Hasta la pregunta es necia.
But there's less than before,imo.
Cantinflas use to ridicule the government,but he was so popular that they couldn't do much about it.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Oct 29, 2015, 6:39 PM)

playaboy

Oct 29, 2015, 6:55 PM

Post #5 of 10 (7797 views)

Shortcut

CB, it was a half stupid question. I know there is self censorship. Journalist get killed for covering the truth in Mexico. Even bloggers have been killed.

Have they killed an comics yet?

cbviajero

Oct 29, 2015, 7:17 PM

Post #6 of 10 (7792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] El Pulso de la Republica

In Reply To
Have they killed an comics yet?

Not that I know of.
A little off topic,but a well known comedian was just elected president of Guatemala,that's got to be an improvement over the murderous corrupt dictators of the past.:)

Mim11

Nov 2, 2015, 11:22 AM

Post #7 of 10 (7662 views)

Shortcut

Many Guatemalans voted for Jimmy Morales because they see him as a political outsider. Unfortunately, it appears that at least part of his financial backing comes from the military old guard, including some involved in the worst of the repression in the early 80s.

https://nacla.org/...s-military-old-guard

I was in Guatemala when Gen. Rios Montt was overthrown in a golpe de estado by his Minster of Defense in August 1983. Rios Montt had overthrown his own predecessor less than 1 1/2 yrs earlier. I was nervous, wondering what to do when finding oneself in the middle of a coup d'etat . Guatemalans around me were quite blasť, having seen it all before. Many people commented that it was "El mismo circo, otro payaso." (Same circus, different clown).

Seems the same holds true today - but this time round they decided to forego metaphor and put in an actual clown. I guess we'll see how that works out.

cbviajero

Nov 2, 2015, 12:01 PM

Post #8 of 10 (7655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mim11] El Pulso de la Republica

In Reply To
Many Guatemalans voted for Jimmy Morales because they see him as a political outsider. Unfortunately, it appears that at least part of his financial backing comes from the military old guard, including some involved in the worst of the repression in the early 80s.

https://nacla.org/...s-military-old-guard

I was in Guatemala when Gen. Rios Montt was overthrown in a golpe de estado by his Minster of Defense in August 1983. Rios Montt had overthrown his own predecessor less than 1 1/2 yrs earlier. I was nervous, wondering what to do when finding oneself in the middle of a coup d'etat . Guatemalans around me were quite blasť, having seen it all before. Many people commented that it was "El mismo circo, otro payaso." (Same circus, different clown).

Seems the same holds true today - but this time round they decided to forego metaphor and put in an actual clown. I guess we'll see how that works out.

Thank you for the information.
I didn't know about his ties to the military.
I too was there in the late 70s.
When the CIA at the behest of the United Fruit Company helped overthrow Jacobo Arbenz,the elected president in 1954 things went from bad to worse.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Nov 2, 2015, 1:00 PM)

Mim11

Nov 2, 2015, 2:21 PM

Post #9 of 10 (7637 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

When the CIA at the behest of the United Fruit Company helped overthrow Jacobo Arbenz,the elected president in 1954 things went from bad to worse.

Or "de Guatemala a Guatepeor".

I have often wondered what Guatemala would look like if Arbenz had not been overthrown. I'm sure it would have its share of problems, but perhaps the (un)civil war, death squads, and genocide would not have occurred. Some of the best and brightest of a whole generation were either killed or went into exile in the 70's and 80's, young idealists who dared dream of a healthier, fairer, more just society. Perhaps if given a chance, they could have made a positive difference.

cbviajero

Nov 3, 2015, 11:25 AM

Post #10 of 10 (7567 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mim11] El Pulso de la Republica

In Reply To

In Reply To

Or "de Guatemala a Guatepeor".

I have often wondered what Guatemala would look like if Arbenz had not been overthrown. I'm sure it would have its share of problems, but perhaps the (un)civil war, death squads, and genocide would not have occurred. Some of the best and brightest of a whole generation were either killed or went into exile in the 70's and 80's, young idealists who dared dream of a healthier, fairer, more just society. Perhaps if given a chance, they could have made a positive difference.

I'm sure it would have been better.
The US really does have a terrible track record in Central America,from Somoza,to contras, to death squads in El Salvador, the death squads trained at the infamous School of the Americas where they trained "soldiers" in torture techniques,etc..
When Reagan invited Roberto D'Aubuisson,leader of the death squads in El Salvador to breakfast at the White House I just couldn't believe it.
I was pleased when some Sandinistas took out Somoza with a bazooka while he was in exile.
Sorry for the rant.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Nov 3, 2015, 1:23 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4