Forums  > General > General Forum

mskitty

Oct 28, 2015, 3:25 PM

Post #1 of 18 (11315 views)

Shortcut

Advice on good spot for 6 mo visit

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, all,

Don't know if anybody out there will remember me. Been a few years. I gave up on retiring in MX because my income simply doesn't meet the requirements. No problem.

But, I'm thinking of coming down for a lengthy visit. Wondering if anyone might advise me about coastal locations that would be safe for me (now a 73-yr-old, but healthy, female), and also have safe but inexpensive and non-fancy rentals available for 6 or more months. Probably won't bring car, unless it's Baja, so a place that's easy to walk around would be nice. No real preferences as to whether it's the Pacific or Caribbean coast, just want a warm, laid-back place to chill for awhile.

Thanks in advance!

chicois8

Oct 28, 2015, 4:26 PM

Post #2 of 18 (11291 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mskitty] Advice on good spot for 6 mo visit

mskitty, inexpensive means different amounts to different people, it would really help to know your range...especially for rent during the winter high season...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

mskitty

Oct 28, 2015, 4:36 PM

Post #3 of 18 (11290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Advice on good spot for 6 mo visit

Haven't given that a lot of thought, but I think $500/month would be the absolute max, and I'd prefer much less. That would be all inclusive -- furnished, utilities, etc. I know that's not the norm in most places down there.

I'd also make a good housesitter. Honest, responsible, etc. Happy to water plants and feed cats, dogs as long as they are bigger dogs. Not fond of lap dogs.

chicois8

Oct 28, 2015, 4:53 PM

Post #4 of 18 (11284 views)

Shortcut

I have some friends that have some apartments in La Penita, about 40 miles north of Puerto Vallarta and are in your price range, here is a link:

http://jaltembabaylife.com/paradise-apartments
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by RickS on Oct 29, 2015, 7:30 AM)

mskitty

Oct 28, 2015, 4:58 PM

Post #5 of 18 (11282 views)

Shortcut

Thanks. I'll check it out.

chicois8

Oct 28, 2015, 5:02 PM

Post #6 of 18 (11279 views)

Shortcut

welcome,I am going to be in La Penita tomorrow, do you want it for this year?
San Mateo, California

mskitty

Oct 28, 2015, 5:08 PM

Post #7 of 18 (11275 views)

Shortcut

I'm thinking probably early January arrival, for maybe 6 months, maybe a little less, depending upon what happens here. I'm waiting for an apartment to open up in an affordable senior complex, and I'm guessing that will happen sometime in the early summer, although it's impossible to know for certain how quickly the waiting list will move. I thought I might as well be someplace fun, as a kind of last adventure, before moving into a place where I expect to live for many years.

chicois8

Oct 28, 2015, 5:12 PM

Post #8 of 18 (11272 views)

Shortcut

Usually places get full around Dec 1st, lots of Canadians arrive, fill out the form on the link and ask Lupita and I will also..........suerte
San Mateo, California

mskitty

Oct 28, 2015, 6:11 PM

Post #9 of 18 (11261 views)

Shortcut

I filled out the form, but got some strange coding at the top of the page afterwards. Hopefully, it went through. Looks like a nice place. Site says the places are only available through March, but I asked her if it would be possible to stay into June, for 6 months.

chicois8

Oct 28, 2015, 6:35 PM

Post #10 of 18 (11255 views)

Shortcut

I will talk with her tomorrow......
San Mateo, California

chicois8

Oct 29, 2015, 4:24 PM

Post #11 of 18 (11164 views)

Shortcut

Kitty, I did stop by but no one home, maybe mañana.......
San Mateo, California

peachland

Nov 7, 2015, 6:18 PM

Post #12 of 18 (10974 views)

Shortcut

Hello another place to consider just down from la penita is Lo De Marcos
It is a small village and has lots of choices for inexpensive stays,a walk around
village,many buses and combis to la penita and bus to pv.Nice firendly place.

maryellen1952

Dec 17, 2015, 8:10 AM

Post #13 of 18 (10242 views)

Shortcut

The state of Baja will have the least restrictions of any state in Mexico. Many people have lived in Baja for years and never had a tourist card. I guess that's why you see so many expats there. Sonora has a free-trade zone but it is limited to the areas west of Hermosillo. If you go anywhere east of that zone you need a vehicle permit although it is much cheaper than the regular permit which costs several hundreds dollars depending on your vehicle. So for those of us who don't meet the income requirements, it can be somewhat of a hassle if you have to return to a border every 6 months.

mskitty

Dec 17, 2015, 8:24 AM

Post #14 of 18 (10236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [maryellen1952] Advice on good spot for 6 mo visit

Thanks! Yes, I've considered Baja just because of the lack of restrictions. And easy driving to/across borders. I would not venture driving to Baja Sud alone, or to the interior of the country in a car, alone. Flying is just too pricey for me, so choices are limited. Thus my interest in the Ensenada area.

But, my 'window' for all this has closed so I'm sitting contentedly in the rain of Oregon, rather than on a sunny beach in Mexico, for the next few months. It could be worse.

I appreciate all the interest and advice -- always found this board to be willing and helpful -- but once again, it seems that Mexico is not in my future.

Thanks to all...

maryellen1952

Dec 17, 2015, 8:29 AM

Post #15 of 18 (10233 views)

Shortcut

I've driven all over Baja and now Sonora (solo female with 2 dogs) and NEVER had a problem. Of course, if you speak Spanish it does make a big difference. Don't believe all the propaganda the U.S. government publishes; otherwise it will make you very paranoid about going anywhere in the world.

mskitty

Dec 17, 2015, 8:35 AM

Post #16 of 18 (10230 views)

Shortcut

Oh, I wasn't paying any attention to what the gov says. I was more paying attention to many expats living in Baja and other areas, as well as Mexican nationals I worked with here in Oregon. I wouldn't say I'm afraid, just choosing to err on the side of common sense. Finally, in old age. Better late than never, I guess.

But the budget says no, regardless of driving or flying, so it's rather a moot point.

Glad you're having a great experience down there. It's a lovely country.

fordmexico

Dec 17, 2015, 6:39 PM

Post #17 of 18 (10195 views)

Shortcut

Maybe things are changing. Here is a link to a Fox News Latino article regarding the deportation of U. S. citizens for various immigration violations including an expired tourist card.

"‘I got deported from Mexico!’ Country expels hundreds of U.S. citizens every year"

http://latino.foxnews.com/...-citizens-every-year

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 17, 2015, 6:57 PM)

chinagringo

Dec 17, 2015, 6:55 PM

Post #18 of 18 (10194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Advice on good spot for 6 mo visit

Anyone else see the irony behind FAUX News reporting such?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4