Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

NorthAmericanTraveler

Oct 27, 2015, 3:39 PM

Post #1 of 9 (8204 views)

Shortcut

Federal Highway 16 (Ojinaga to Chihuahua)

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm going to be driving to the Big Bend region of Texas in a couple of months. Has anyone ever drove on MX 16 between Ojinaga and Chihuahua? It looks pretty neat on Google Street View. I noticed that there is a pretty impressive canyon and that there are some caves in Coyame along the route. Are there any safety concerns I should know about? Thanks.

RickS

Oct 28, 2015, 2:51 PM

Post #2 of 9 (8158 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] Federal Highway 16 (Ojinaga to Chihuahua)

Wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I have not driven that particular road... I always head south out of Ojinaga towards Camargo and 45D. What I can say is that several years ago they put in a 2-lane cuota south of Ojinaga that cuts back over to hiway 16 outside of Chihuahua. The purpose was to bypass the part of 16, the part you are interested in, that was slow-going because of hills and curves was generally a very slow route.

I'm not sure whether your 'safety' question was about road safety or otherwise, but in many years of driving Ojinaga south I have never heard of or seen anything that made me decide to quit driving it. All of that country is pretty desolate 'tho.

NorthAmericanTraveler

Oct 31, 2015, 8:50 PM

Post #3 of 9 (8090 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Federal Highway 16 (Ojinaga to Chihuahua)

Thanks for the response. I think I will be going based off your response. I assume that I get my TIP and FMM in this building here (in the link). https://goo.gl/maps/dMXLzfzWiAG2

(This post was edited by RickS on Nov 1, 2015, 7:59 PM)

chinagringo

Nov 1, 2015, 7:53 PM

Post #4 of 9 (8045 views)

Shortcut

Wouldn't be my choice but then again, I don't care from driving looking over my shoulder for hundreds of miles!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Nov 1, 2015, 8:03 PM

Post #5 of 9 (8043 views)

Shortcut

Yes, that is the building to get both. If you return via Ojinaga, you will cancel your TIP across the street (sign says Cancelacions) but will still turn in your tourist card in this building.

As far as 'looking over my shoulder', I have used this border crossing, both ways, probably 8 times in the last 12 years and have never found that a requirement.

NorthAmericanTraveler

Nov 2, 2015, 6:38 AM

Post #6 of 9 (8025 views)

Shortcut

Thank You so much for the responses RickS. I'll let you know how my trip went, when I go. I'm feeling pretty confident about going to this part of Mexico. I plan on eventually driving to Mazatlan, but that will be a couple of years down the road. Thanks again.

NorthAmericanTraveler

Mar 1, 2016, 4:56 AM

Post #7 of 9 (6523 views)

Shortcut

Okay I drove to the Peguis Canyon last week and it felt pretty safe. I'll definitely use the Ojinaga POE for any future trips into Mexico.

RickS

Mar 1, 2016, 9:52 AM

Post #8 of 9 (6500 views)

Shortcut

Any thoughts about the Peguis Canyon you'd like to share with us?

NorthAmericanTraveler

Apr 6, 2016, 6:04 PM

Post #9 of 9 (6220 views)

Shortcut

Sorry for the late response.

The Peguis Canyon is definitely worth the trip if you are in the Big Bend region of Texas. It is far deeper than any of the canyons in the BBNP. I bought 1 day of liability only insurance in Presidio at La Junta Insurance for only $18. The toll is only 40 pesos (or $1.20 if you pay in USD) and you only pay when you leave Mexico. There was no wait going into Mexico and there was about a 5 minute wait coming back into the US. The canyon is around a 40 minute drive from Ojinaga. As I said it's definitely worth the drive if you are in the area.

I also drove on CHIH 67 / 200 to Manuel Benavides. It wasn't that interesting of a route, but it was a nice peaceful desert drive. I was also able to get my picture next to a Mexican railroad crossing sign!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4