Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

sanctus31

Oct 26, 2015, 8:32 AM

Post #1 of 3 (4920 views)

Shortcut

Looking for employment in Monterrey as a temporal resident.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi guys, I've been living in Monterrey for about 6 months now and being married with a Mexican citizen I got my FM (Temporal Resident) without work permit right away. I understand I need to get a company to write me a letter for the immigration office so I could get a work permit which will tie me up to that specific work place.
My questions are :
1. How long do I need to wait for permanent resident status and does it automatically gives me a work permit ?
2. I have a MSc in Computer Science but I thought to look for a job as an English teacher since I feel it's time for a change.
Any ideas at all about employment ? I'm at a loss, I can't seem to find the right place to get myself to work.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you :-)

rvgringo

Oct 26, 2015, 9:33 AM

Post #2 of 3 (4905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sanctus31] Looking for employment in Monterrey as a temporal resident.

A company must be registered with INM and eligible to hire foreigners.
I think you should ask INM about how long before you can become Residente Permanente, and how your marriage affects that, as it does.
Do you speak Spanish?
Do you have ESL or other teaching credentials? Just because you speak English, does not make you a teacher.
In Mexico, finding a job is done by real networking face to face, so make all the appropriate personal contacts that you can. Phone or internet are less productive than face to face contact and knowing the cultural niceties.

sanctus31

Oct 26, 2015, 12:56 PM

Post #3 of 3 (4873 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Looking for employment in Monterrey as a temporal resident.

Thanks for your reply rvgringo (love the nick btw) :-)
I don't have any degree in english teaching, although I've got some experience doing so in a private school. I've heard of places like Interlinua which might be a good starting place for people like me.
My Spanish is basic, it's hard to find a school here in Monterrey, although I would love to start learning the language properly.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4