Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Djcoul

Oct 26, 2015, 1:02 AM

Post #1 of 12 (8835 views)

Shortcut

Moving to mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife is a mexican national. We were married in mexico 24 years ago and i had an fm3 then. We moved to the states 15 years ago. Now the kids are graduating university and she wants us to move back to mexico. So we are looking at selling our business and house here then moving. Are visa requirements any different for me? Heard something about a family temporary resident visa? Any help would be appreciated.

rvgringo

Oct 26, 2015, 9:39 AM

Post #2 of 12 (8778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Djcoul] Moving to mexico

Yes, much has changed. You should go, with your wife, to the nearest Mexican consulate to your home in the USA, where you can make an appointment to apply for a residence visa; first Residente Temporal, then Permanente and even naturalization under vincula familiar rules. The old FM3/2 system is obsolete. However, as the husband of a Mexican, I think you might be able to go as a tourist and immediately apply in Mexico at INM, but it might be easier to use the consular approach anyway. Once permanent, you can no longer have a US car and permanent importations are stopped. So plan on buying a car in Mexico before becoming Residente Permanente.

DisneyGringo

Oct 26, 2015, 6:22 PM

Post #3 of 12 (8712 views)

Shortcut

As the spouse of a Mexican citizen you are one of the only classes that may change your immigration status from within Mexico. You may enter Mexico as a Visitante with an FMM and then proceed to your local INM office to change your status under current Vinculo Familiar rules. You will need to have your marriage recorded in Mexico and provide your passport, FMM and an official Mexican ID from your spouse. You will be given 2 years of Residente Temporal status. At the conclusion of the two year period, assuming you are still married, you may convert to Residente Permanente status.

Djcoul

Oct 26, 2015, 6:25 PM

Post #4 of 12 (8709 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DisneyGringo] Moving to mexico

After 24 years of putting up with me and think she might make another 2. Lol.. Thank u all for the help.

DisneyGringo

Oct 26, 2015, 6:44 PM

Post #5 of 12 (8701 views)

Shortcut

If you have children together, you can register your children (even if they are grown adults) as Mexican citizens (if you have not done so already) and then process a Permanent Resident application based on the fact you have a Mexican citizen child. Just another option to consider.

playaboy

Oct 27, 2015, 5:46 AM

Post #6 of 12 (8653 views)

Shortcut

I always look for the least complicated ways when dealing with government agencies. Since you are liquidating your home and business, here is another option.

There might be no need to a apply for residente temporal first or use the Vinculo Familiar rules. If you can meet the financial requirements, you can apply for a residente permanente immediately. All you have to do is show approx 100K, or more, in the bank. Then no more messing with INM. You won't need permissions to work, if you chose, in Mexico either.

Different Mexican consulates use slightly different procedures and interpret the rules differently. Some are easier than others. If you were in California, there are 6 consulates to chose from when applying?

RV, why do you continually say "no permanent car imports" wherever you post? Do you know this for a fact? Car importation has not stopped completely. 8 and 9 year old NAFTA built cars can permanently be imported into Mexico at the USA border, by Mexicans. It has been like this since Dec, 2014. Trailers, RV's, boats, and motorcycles can be imported too.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/...Paginas/default.aspx

Here is a GREAT English explanation of the rules everybody can understand.

http://www.chapalalaw.com/...pdate-december-2014/

RVgringo, this is the car info you should be posting if you truly want to help people do things correctly and avoid problems.

soylent_green

Oct 27, 2015, 9:22 AM

Post #7 of 12 (8609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DisneyGringo] Moving to mexico

In Reply To
If you have children together, you can register your children (even if they are grown adults) as Mexican citizens (if you have not done so already) and then process a Permanent Resident application based on the fact you have a Mexican citizen child. Just another option to consider.

through your kids probably would be the best route to go. I got permanent resident with the ability to work without having to show financial info that way.

Djcoul, what part of mexico you thinking of moving too?

(This post was edited by soylent_green on Oct 27, 2015, 9:24 AM)

Djcoul

Oct 29, 2015, 2:09 AM

Post #8 of 12 (8441 views)

Shortcut

Re: [soylent_green] Moving to mexico

Wifes a mexican national, both kids have duel US and Mexican. We are moving to la paz area. Also what do i need for my mexican drivers license? Wife has both mexican and US.

playaboy

Oct 29, 2015, 7:35 AM

Post #9 of 12 (8412 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Wifes a mexican national, both kids have duel US and Mexican. We are moving to la paz area. Also what do i need for my mexican drivers license? Wife has both mexican and US.

To get a driver license you will need a resident card, CURP card, and a blood test showing your blood type.

morgaine7

Oct 29, 2015, 8:31 AM

Post #10 of 12 (8399 views)

Shortcut

In addition to what Playaboy mentions for the driver's license, bring along any valid foreign licenses you may have, as they may waive the driving and/or written test. If your wife's DL is from a different state in Mexico, she should bring that as well. Sometimes they ask for proof of address, other times not. I take a water or electric bill just in case. if over 65 you need a letter from a physician stating that you have no medical conditions that could interfere with driving. No need for photos, as they take them there.

Tránsito in La Paz is located in the police headquarters at the corner of Calles Colima and México. Good luck with your move to La Paz. I've been here since 2007, and it's a nice place to live.

Kate

Djcoul

Oct 29, 2015, 12:42 PM

Post #11 of 12 (8366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Moving to mexico

We met in la paz. Wife is from there and Her whole family is there. I lived there from 91-97. Do u need your perm residence or can you get the license with the temp? We are heading to the consulate office tomorrow.

morgaine7

Oct 29, 2015, 12:50 PM

Post #12 of 12 (8362 views)

Shortcut

I got mine with the FM3 (old version of temporary resident), though I have permanent now. As far as I know, you can still get it with temporary. It's great that you'll have a family of La Paz experts to help you settle in! Good luck at the consulate.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4