Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

tfyoung

Oct 24, 2015, 1:13 PM

Post #1 of 14 (8773 views)

Shortcut

Legality of Home Distillation

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have made beer and wine at home as a hobby here in the US. We have recently developed an interest in home distillation. (This is currently illegal in the US at the federal level but an effort to change that is in progress.)

Does anybody have any information about the legality of these hobbies in Mexico? We hope to retire there and would like to continue these pursuits. I don't believe we would have a problem importing the equipment for beer and wine. But what about a small still? This would be for home consumption, not for sale.

mattoleriver

Oct 24, 2015, 2:44 PM

Post #2 of 14 (8754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] Legality of Home Distillation

I haven't paid any attention to this subject for several years so anything that I would know would be quite dated. There are two good Yahoo groups that should be able to answer any questions you may have about home distilling in general but not specifically about Mexico. I'm sure somebody will know about the status of home distilling in Mexico. Yahoo groups are : Distillers and new_distillers .

richmx2

Oct 24, 2015, 8:52 PM

Post #3 of 14 (8716 views)

Shortcut

Fascinating question, that I passed on to another site. The consensus I'm getting from people who mostly know what they're talking about is it is illegal to sell .. you need a special SHCP (irs) permit and to pass lots of inspections to produce and sell, but making your own moonshine and not advertising should be perfectly fine.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

cbviajero

Oct 25, 2015, 9:37 AM

Post #4 of 14 (8670 views)

Shortcut

There are stores in Guadalajara that sell home brewing kits.

playaboy

Oct 25, 2015, 9:46 AM

Post #5 of 14 (8666 views)

Shortcut

I don't know if any of this was legal but I have tried a couple of different homemade mezcals in Michoacan. One had a nice smoky flavor so I bought a couple of bottles. After sharing them with friends, I can report that none of us went blind.

cbviajero

Oct 25, 2015, 10:05 AM

Post #6 of 14 (8661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Legality of Home Distillation

One of my wifes uncles is a master pulque brewer,you won't go blind drinking his brew,but you might have some gas..pedos pulqueros..

chinagringo

Oct 25, 2015, 10:27 AM

Post #7 of 14 (8649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Legality of Home Distillation

From personal experience in the Lake Chapala area, I think that I would be safe in saying that some of the restaurants offering free margaritas with your meal may be using some "home brew tequilas" to keep their costs low? Haven't heard of anyone going blind but have seen some very nasty hangovers the following morning.

Besides, I thought going blind was caused by another activity?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Oct 25, 2015, 11:10 AM

Post #8 of 14 (8644 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Legality of Home Distillation

In Reply To
Besides, I thought going blind was caused by another activity?

You are thinking about hairy palms.

darrellk

Nov 16, 2015, 3:04 PM

Post #9 of 14 (8346 views)

Shortcut

I brewed in Aguas Calientes, took all my kegs and equipment over without a problem. The only problem is I can't find hops and yeast so when I took trips to the US I always grab some hops and yeast. They have a home brew feast every year but missed this last one. I'm sure they are here but find them, most people don't know what hops/ Lupulos are.

chinagringo

Nov 16, 2015, 3:17 PM

Post #10 of 14 (8341 views)

Shortcut

Re: [darrellk] Legality of Home Distillation

Given the size of the Corona plant on the outskirts of Zacatecas, there must be entire trainloads of hops being transported into there? I have read that there are home brew supply shops in Guadalajara but since beer isn't high on my enjoyment list, I didn't commit the information to the memory bank.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

darrellk

Nov 16, 2015, 4:21 PM

Post #11 of 14 (8327 views)

Shortcut

I think they must be hording them, may have to check with Chapo.........

playaboy

Nov 16, 2015, 4:49 PM

Post #12 of 14 (8323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [darrellk] Legality of Home Distillation

I want to the Soy Ceverza Fiesta yesterday in Puerto Morales. There were approx 20 Mexican microbreweries showcasing their beers. Two of them were small local Riviera Maya breweries I didn't know existed. I had some surprisingly good IPA's, amber ales, and an OK wheat.

They must be getting their hops from somewhere. You might want to check with one of these folks.

http://www.soycerveza.com/

richmx2

Nov 17, 2015, 10:48 AM

Post #13 of 14 (8283 views)

Shortcut

You asked for it, you got it. Hop to it:

http://www.quiminet.com/...6611/proveedores.htm

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

chinagringo

Nov 17, 2015, 2:36 PM

Post #14 of 14 (8262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Legality of Home Distillation

When it comes to drinking beer in Mexico, I am only concerned that I can find cold beer, maybe a frosted glass, lime slices and a required supply of hielo. Only drink cerveza at lunch time and only when super thirsty. Never drink beer NOB.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4