Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

teddybear1935

Oct 21, 2015, 7:27 AM

Post #1 of 4 (5845 views)

Shortcut

FM2

Can't Post | Private Reply
I AM AN ELDERLY HOLDER OF AN FM2 FROM ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. RECENTLY I HAVE HEARD RUMORS OF SOME CHANGES FOR HOLDERS OF FM2. WHEN I WAS GRANTED THIS FM2 I WAS TOLD IT WAS PERMANENT. I OF COURSE USE IT WHEN LEAVING MEXICO AT THE MEXICO CITY AIRPORT WITH THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE ON DUTY THERE.
QUESTIONS: (1) MUST WE NOW DO SOMETHING ELSE OR DIFFERENT?
(2) IS A NEW CARD REQUIRED?
(3) WHERE CAN I GET ACCURATE AND CURRENT INFORMATION CONCERNING MY STATUS
(4) IF LEAVING MEXICO FOR A VISIT IN THE USA, WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE AND HOW DOES ONE GO ABOUT LEAVING MEXICO BY LAND?
ANY HELP IN THIS MATTER WILL BE APPRECIATED. WHEN ONE GETS TO BE 80 YEARS OLD WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Maesonna

Oct 21, 2015, 8:32 AM

Post #2 of 4 (5832 views)

Shortcut

Re: [teddybear1935] FM2

The immigration reform was passed in 2012, and implemented little by little, until it was fully in place by the beginning of 2015.

Similar to you, I was a long time holder of an FM2. In 2013, when I took a trip out of Mexico, I was told at the INM kiosk that I could use my FM2 visa booklet for the current trip, but I should go and exchange the booklet for a card before my next trip.

To do so, I had to go to the INM office (in Mexico City, the office at Ejército Nacional 862) twice, once to submit the application, and the second time a couple of weeks later to pick up my new card. It is free of cost, and it is not a change of status, only a change of document.

AlanMexicali

Oct 21, 2015, 10:25 AM

Post #3 of 4 (5799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] FM2

In Reply To
The immigration reform was passed in 2012, and implemented little by little, until it was fully in place by the beginning of 2015.

The new 2011 INM law was implemented on Nov. 9th. 2012 in full force with a couple of policy changes following. Really hasn´t changed since then except 4 year RT visa/cards were changed to 1 year only for first timers in the middle of March 2013 and 1 to 3 year renewals after the first year. A few other policy changes since then have occured. The law and rules are the same except the financial solvency minumums were lowered. Immigrants with previous uninterupted residency statuses where not asked for financial solvency since the middle of 2013.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Oct 21, 2015, 10:38 AM)

YucaLandia

Oct 23, 2015, 6:12 AM

Post #4 of 4 (5659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [teddybear1935] FM2

Hi Ed,
Your "Inmigrado" - Permanent Resident - card is still good to enter and exit Mexico.

You do not have an "FM2" . FM2's were for temporary residents.

Your "Inmigrado" visa is now called a "Residente Permanente" by INM law.

Under the new system since 2013, Inmigrados / Residente Permanente visa holders are supposed to stop at the INM office where they are exiting Mexico; fill out an FMM form describing your exit data and your personal data - filling out both the exiting half and the re-entering half with your personal data. INM keeps the "exiting Mexico" half of the FMM form, and gives you the "entering Mexico" half of the form to use on your return to Mexico.

So, you stop at INM both on entering and exiting Mexico to register your movements. Since you didn't fill out an FMM the last time you left Mexico, just fill out an FMM when you return.

Happy travels,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4