Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

John Dodo

Oct 15, 2015, 5:50 PM

Post #1 of 5 (6214 views)

Shortcut

Selling My Truck in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I live in Southern California and I own a 1994 Suburban (4x4) that will not pass smog check due to modifications that I've made to the vehicle. I recently heard that vehicles like mine can fetch a pretty penny down in Mexico. This struck me as intriguing because my truck is basically worthless in California. It runs and drives just fine and I've even added a few goodies like leather seats, billet grill, stereo system, etc. I just can't drive it or sell it in California. I applied for the cash for clunkers program and was rejected, so my only other option would be to export it to another state without smog check laws or to another country like Mexico.

Having said all of that, does anyone know the legality of doing something like this? Can it be done online, through wire transfers and shipping, or would I physically have to take the vehicle across the border myself? Also, does anyone know what a truck like mine goes for in Mexico? Any advice, tips or other information would be greatly appreciated.

John

chinagringo

Oct 15, 2015, 6:07 PM

Post #2 of 5 (6211 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Dodo] Selling My Truck in Mexico

Good luck! Do some research and come to the conclusion that what you are proposing is without merit in Mexico.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Oct 15, 2015, 6:44 PM

Post #3 of 5 (6204 views)

Shortcut

John, to expand on Neil's 'without merit' comment.....

What you are proposing basically cannot be done... or at least not without a lot of hassle and expense, if then. That hassle and expense would negate any thought you might have of getting a 'pretty penny' (which basically is not what you would get for it there anyway).

"Recently" things have changed about bringing in 'old' US cars, Nationalizing them, and selling them as 'chocolates' in Mexico. I'm sure there would be someone 'with connections' who will say they can get that car into Mexico, but again you visions of a pretty penny is at best someone's ole wife's tale. Yes, I'm sure that there would be plenty of Mexican Nationals who would just love to have that big Suburban w/flashy grill and leather seats, but.....

Have you considered keeping it and titling it in another state that doesn't require emission tests? Yes, I know that California would not like that and basically it is against the law but there are probably bigger crimes being committed there every day. Just saying.....

playaboy

Oct 16, 2015, 8:27 AM

Post #4 of 5 (6145 views)

Shortcut

I don't know what you consider a "pretty penny". A 20+ year old Suburban is not worth much. Even if it passed smog it would be worth less than $5k, probably closer to $2K

John, you can take your truck to TJ and look for a buyer. It will be up to the buyer to get it legal. Or take it to AZ or OR.

beachdreamer

Oct 20, 2015, 10:49 AM

Post #5 of 5 (5977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Selling My Truck in Mexico

Have you considered donating it to a charity like Assistance League of Redlands? They pick up your vehicle from your home and sell it at auction and the charity gets the proceeds and you a tax receipt. The auto does not need to licensed or running. You just have to have the title.
An adventure begins with a dream

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4