Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

akexpat

Oct 10, 2015, 12:26 PM

Post #1 of 5 (4750 views)

Shortcut

US citizens entering Mexico with felony convictions

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am putting this question out again, in hopes someone might have more information. It appears that US citizens with past felony convictions are being denied entry to Mexico, at least by some immigration officials, at some entry points. This happened to a woman in Cancun, who had a federal drug conviction from 2008. It has also happened to convicted sex offenders. My question is this: does anyone know if this being applied universally to anyone with any kind of a past felony conviction in the US who is trying to enter Mexico? I have seen the threads on Trip Advisor, etc. But none of those have any new information. I am hoping someone out there might know something. Thanks for any helpful info.

chinagringo

Oct 10, 2015, 4:06 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4732 views)

Shortcut

Re: [akexpat] US citizens entering Mexico with felony convictions

"does anyone know if this being applied universally to anyone with any kind of a past felony conviction in the US who is trying to enter Mexico?"

Better yet, does anyone know of any law, rule or regulation that is applied universally to anyone, including Mexican Citizens?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chicois8

Oct 10, 2015, 4:39 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4727 views)

Shortcut

Come on you just received 26 answers on another page of this board, maybe you will get different opinions/ answers on another message board like trip adviser or the expat board..........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

rvgringo

Oct 11, 2015, 2:21 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] US citizens entering Mexico with felony convictions

It is up to the border agent you meet, and you have no recourse if he decides to deny you for whatever reason. The law gives him that authority.

DisneyGringo

Oct 26, 2015, 6:38 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4453 views)

Shortcut

The United States does not record share with Mexico in this capacity nor does this question appear on the FMM form to obtain a Visitante entry to Mexico. Anyone denied entry to Mexico would be based solely on their admission that they had an arrest or conviction when asked by an immigration agent. On rare occasions, the United State in conjunction with INTERPOL may share a very narrow and specific list of sex offenders or other similar individuals who are in fact restricted from travel outside of the U.S.
Should you have an existing warrant or if you are on probation or parole your greater concern would not be entry to Mexico, but rather making it past any suspicious federal agents and record checks on your exit from the United States.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4