Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

david3528

Oct 7, 2015, 6:19 AM

Post #1 of 43 (6433 views)

Shortcut

Questions re immigrating

| Private Reply
1.Can I apply for permanent residency visa if I am retired, but not receiving a pension yet due to age? I have enough investments to meet the criteria.
2. When they ask you to show $100,000 in 'average' monthly balance for past 12 months, what exactly does 'average' mean? I am equating this as at least a $100,000 balance on my bank statement each month, but am wondering if that is correct? When you think about it, it is kind of dubious.
Thanks.

chinagringo

Oct 7, 2015, 6:57 AM

Post #2 of 43 (6414 views)

Shortcut

Re: [david3528] Questions re immigrating

| Private Reply
The simple answer seems to be that you are at the mercy of the person making determinations at whatever Mexican Consulate you choose to have process your application.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

addtocart

Oct 7, 2015, 7:17 AM

Post #3 of 43 (6407 views)

Shortcut

|

In Reply To
1.Can I apply for permanent residency visa if I am retired, but not receiving a pension yet due to age? I have enough investments to meet the criteria.
2. When they ask you to show $100,000 in 'average' monthly balance for past 12 months, what exactly does 'average' mean? I am equating this as at least a $100,000 balance on my bank statement each month, but am wondering if that is correct? When you think about it, it is kind of dubious.
Thanks.

Average should mean just that. You could have $90,000 as your ending balance one month and $110,000 the next, the average would be $100,000. But in real life the previous poster is correct. What the clerk decides is the law in your case.

david3528

Oct 7, 2015, 9:55 AM

Post #4 of 43 (6364 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Questions re immigrating

| Private Reply
Thank you, both. I have heard if one is not receiving any retirement pension, you cannot apply for permanent resident visa even if you have investments. However, on the consulate website, they ask for either without any mention of pension restriction. As you have both mentioned, it all depends on the officer in which case, what visa should I apply for to be on the safe side?

joaquinx

Oct 7, 2015, 1:18 PM

Post #5 of 43 (6324 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
1.Can I apply for permanent residency visa if I am retired, but not receiving a pension yet due to age?

This can be read as unemployed. Others have mentioned that it is up the the agent at the consulate and they are correct. What I have noticed is that Permanente visas are issued those who show a permanent income from a retirement fund such as Social Security, military retirement, or a verifiable private retirement fund.

Add up the balances for each month for a year and divide by 12 to get the average.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

bronco

Oct 15, 2015, 11:58 AM

Post #6 of 43 (5913 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
have you considered temp resident? you renew each year, its kind of a pain in the neck. after 5 years you are eligable for permanent.

Maesonna

Oct 17, 2015, 2:01 PM

Post #7 of 43 (5727 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Questions re immigrating

| Private Reply
After 4 years, actually. In fact, after 4 years, you have to either switch to permanent or give up your temporary residency visa.

bronco

Oct 17, 2015, 2:39 PM

Post #8 of 43 (5720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Questions re immigrating

| Private Reply
they must have changed it. i went through 2 5yr temp books/cards. (10yrs) my choice after the 10 yrs, was to go perm or tourist. in any event, the temp res may be a better alternative for this person. i dont know the ins& outs (requirements) these days. spencer the attorney can advise.

Maesonna

Oct 17, 2015, 2:46 PM

Post #9 of 43 (5716 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes, it has been changed. The immigration reform was passed in 2012, and implemented gradually. Since some time last year, it’s been fully in place.
Some of the other main features are: •No more FM2/3; these have been replaced by residente temporal and residente permanente visas. •No more arriving as a tourist and applying for a resident visa within Mexico. Except for people sponsored by their Mexican spouse or other close family member, people have to start the residency application outside Mexico at a Mexican consulate. •No more visa booklets; only cards now.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Oct 17, 2015, 2:52 PM)

bronco

Oct 19, 2015, 11:09 PM

Post #10 of 43 (5523 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
they already switched to those cheap laminated cards when i had the nice book. they also made you go to guad every year rather than once in 5 years. also new photos every year, tacky color photos. if you are tourist now, you can apply for temp res on one of your visits.

Maesonna

Oct 20, 2015, 8:17 AM

Post #11 of 43 (5488 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Same here: other people already had cards when I still had my visa booklet.

Until one trip out of the country, I think it was in 2013, the INM official at the airport told me, “You can use your booklet for this trip, but when you come back to Mexico, you should go to the INM office and exchange it for a card. The booklets are being phased out.”

She gave me to understand that at some time in the near future, it would have to be a card, because they were going to stop accepting booklets.

bronco

Oct 20, 2015, 8:57 AM

Post #12 of 43 (5473 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
the cards were cheaper to produce thats why they changed, not that it matters. those cards look like something a macdonalds employee would have. the bottom line for mexico is the $$$. the rules are made for financial gain. btw, i really liked those books. @ least my passport has still has some class.

rvgringo

Oct 20, 2015, 9:04 AM

Post #13 of 43 (5469 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Perhaps you should remain tourists. No card, just paper. Geez!

cbviajero

Oct 20, 2015, 11:31 AM

Post #14 of 43 (5434 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
. btw, i really liked those books. @ least my passport has still has some class.

What did you like about those books?
I find the new cards more convenient and they're just like the official Mexican ID cards.

La Isla

Oct 20, 2015, 11:55 AM

Post #15 of 43 (5421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Questions re immigrating

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To
. btw, i really liked those books. @ least my passport has still has some class.

What did you like about those books?
I find the new cards more convenient and they're just like the official Mexican ID cards.

In fact, they are considered official Mexican ID cards and very convenient to keep in my wallet, much more so than the old booklet.

Maesonna

Oct 20, 2015, 12:10 PM

Post #16 of 43 (5421 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I doubt cost was the sole reason for changing from booklets to cards. Consider that the switch happened at the same time as the immigration reform, which was considerable: it reorganized the immigrant status categories and changed the requirements, and digitized the information held on immigrants.

It seems to me that previously the visas were booklets because they contained all the information on their holder. The information was also held in INM records, but in paper form, so if officials on the spot wanted to find out an individual’s immigrant history, the only practical way to look it up was by referring to their visa booklet.

Now that information on immigrants is digitized, we don’t need to carry our history with us on paper – an official at any border crossing or office can just put our number into the system and see our history.

playaboy

Oct 21, 2015, 6:40 AM

Post #17 of 43 (5347 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
the cards were cheaper to produce thats why they changed, not that it matters. those cards look like something a macdonalds employee would have. the bottom line for mexico is the $$$. the rules are made for financial gain. btw, i really liked those books. @ least my passport has still has some class.

A friend of mine has a primo that works for INM. He told me that they are working on replacing the cards with a subdermal chip implant. In fact the chip is ready, they are waiting for the next round of INM computer upgrades to automatically read the chips.

Within the next 2 years all foreign residents will be chipped. You will never have to worry about losing your cheaply made card again.

La Isla

Oct 21, 2015, 9:13 AM

Post #18 of 43 (5324 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Questions re immigrating

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

A friend of mine has a primo that works for INM. He told me that they are working on replacing the cards with a subdermal chip implant. In fact the chip is ready, they are waiting for the next round of INM computer upgrades to automatically read the chips.

Within the next 2 years all foreign residents will be chipped. You will never have to worry about losing your cheaply made card again.

Playaboy, your post gave me a much needed chuckle!

RickS

Oct 21, 2015, 9:17 AM

Post #19 of 43 (5324 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"...subdermal chip implant... within the next 2 years all foreign residents will be chipped"

Not to be a naysayer, but I don't see that being a requirement... maybe an option but requiring one to subject themselves to an implant is beyond my belief.

cbviajero

Oct 21, 2015, 11:03 AM

Post #20 of 43 (5298 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well that sucks,I thought that with my new Permanente I would never have to deal with the INM again.
Big Brother has arrived...

rvgringo

Oct 21, 2015, 11:11 AM

Post #21 of 43 (5296 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Questions re immigrating

| Private Reply
Gentlemen will be implanted in the left buttock, while the ladies will turn the other cheek.

addtocart

Oct 21, 2015, 11:23 AM

Post #22 of 43 (5294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Questions re immigrating

|

In Reply To
Gentlemen will be implanted in the left buttock, while the ladies will turn the other cheek.

Is that so you can tell them apart?

rvgringo

Oct 21, 2015, 11:33 AM

Post #23 of 43 (5288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Questions re immigrating

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

Is that so you can tell them apart?

It will save on training time and reduce groping.

playaboy

Oct 21, 2015, 11:59 AM

Post #24 of 43 (5282 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

The new chip will have GPS capabilities. This should be welcomed by all, old, retired, almost senile, expats. That way if you get confused and lost the government can easily find and save you.

It will be similar to "Life Alert". "Help, I fell and I can't get up"..

addtocart

Oct 21, 2015, 1:28 PM

Post #25 of 43 (5258 views)

Shortcut

|

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The new chip will have GPS capabilities. This should be welcomed by all, old, retired, almost senile, expats. That way if you get confused and lost the government can easily find and save you.

It will be similar to "Life Alert". "Help, I fell and I can't get up"..

I feel better already.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4