Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

skier14

Sep 30, 2015, 3:46 PM

Post #1 of 15 (7356 views)

Shortcut

US Income Tax

Can't Post | Private Reply
One of the unique situations of being married to a Mexican, non-English speaking citizen and living in Mexico is trying to teach her to file a US income tax form. I forgot file on time. My wife will receive half of my retirement income for the rest of her life. It is not a great amount, but above the amount that doesn't require filling. She will not have to pay as long as her daughter and grand-kids remain living in the house as they have since the kids were born. If she doesn't file, I am sure that eventually the IRS will start fining and attaching the retirement account. I have not seen any advertisements for tax filing help. Anybody know of some or one? One does not particularly like to think about their demise, but I will happen.

skier14

Oct 1, 2015, 6:59 PM

Post #2 of 15 (7289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] US Income Tax

I forgot to give my location. Tonala(Guadalajara), Jalisco.

cbviajero

Oct 1, 2015, 7:37 PM

Post #3 of 15 (7283 views)

Shortcut

The IRS has Spanish speaking personnel who can provide assistance.
Google,(IRS tax heip en espanol).

chinagringo

Oct 1, 2015, 7:43 PM

Post #4 of 15 (7279 views)

Shortcut

Wouldn't there be some enterprising entrepeneurs out at Lake Chapala that do US tax consulting for a fee?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

sparks

Oct 2, 2015, 6:57 AM

Post #5 of 15 (7240 views)

Shortcut

TaxAct is an online service that figures it out and E-Files. Suggested by the IRS and free for low income people. Might be a fee if they live in an income tax state. I've used them for 4 years from Mexico

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

YucaLandia

Oct 2, 2015, 8:30 AM

Post #6 of 15 (7217 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] US Income Tax

In Reply To
The IRS has Spanish speaking personnel who can provide assistance.
Google,(IRS tax heip en espanol).

Have you used this "service" ?

The last time I used it on 3 different years of returns for Mexican friends, the IRS helpline people were completely wrong on every single question we asked.

The one time that the friends chose to follow the "IRS Helpline" advice- the IRS's bad advice triggered an audit ... and I spent 2 months un-balling the messes created by following the bad "Helpline" advice.

Avoid the schlocky advice: Find a good professional with real-world experience on filing tax returns involving international income issues.

What about "spock" over on chapala . com ?

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Oct 2, 2015, 8:33 AM)

cbviajero

Oct 2, 2015, 9:48 AM

Post #7 of 15 (7185 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] US Income Tax

In Reply To
Have you used this "service" ? .

No,I haven't used this service,I speak English,I was just suggesting that it might be a helpful resource for Spanish speakers seeking help with their IRS filings.
Who is "spock"?

sparks

Oct 2, 2015, 10:56 AM

Post #8 of 15 (7166 views)

Shortcut

I have a friend down here that gave up doing taxes. He said that the rules change so much and so often you just can't keep up unless you work for real every year

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

YucaLandia

Oct 2, 2015, 12:19 PM

Post #9 of 15 (7147 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

No,I haven't used this service,I speak English,I was just suggesting that it might be a helpful resource for Spanish speakers seeking help with their IRS filings.

Who is "spock"?

I don't go onto that board much - and so many people use bogus obscure screen names that are hard to remember, but I do remember his posts had good ... useful ... accurate details on FBAR, FINCEN, FATCA and other American expat tax issues.

... He always seemed to give reliable detailed insights - which made his posts unique ... memorable ... & worthwhile.

A quick google search found: trader spoc
"traderspoc"
and
this example: http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=40175&hl=

==============
Is this an example of old-timers complaining that whipper-snappers not taking a moment to do basic simple searches for easily found information?

.... type: taxes chapala.com FBAR FATCA ... etc => hit search ... and bingo ... there's the answer ?

============================

I tend to surf a lot of boards, looking for useful current first-person experiences on immigration issues, tax issues, and aduana issues, so I remember key words, but don't much get involved in the personalities, arcane screen names, & local kerfluffles ... so trader spoc became "spock" in my memory.

??
Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Oct 2, 2015, 12:38 PM)

YucaLandia

Oct 2, 2015, 12:46 PM

Post #10 of 15 (7132 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

No,I haven't used this service, I speak English,I was just suggesting that it might be a helpful resource for Spanish speakers seeking help with their IRS filings.

It doesn't matter which IRS helpline service we've used. The point has been the same either way: Both English and Spanish IRS helpline clerks frequently give very wrong answers and very bad advice for Mexicans with US income or receiving US pension payments.

I asked the same questions in English on the IRS Helpline, about 3 different years of IRS filings on our Mexican friend's US income, and the IRS phone-clerk's answers in English were wrong too

IRS phone techs simply have little or no training in US tax law for foreigners inside or outside the USA - so they confidently give out years of bad / wrong advice.

Final important point about using the IRS Helpline: The IRS takes no responsibility for wrong answers given out by their phone techs.

If your return has errors directly caused by BAD IRS advice, you still have to pay all the penalties and interest.

Those are yet more reason for skier14 and others to find and hire qualified tax professionals who know the rules & policies.

================
Thinking about Mexconnect's old-timer's complaints about how people are currently (mis)using Mexconnect,

Is this an example of giving "tax advice" that doesn't work in the real world?
or
Is it an example of advice given by someone who's never actually used the service they recommend?

??

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Oct 2, 2015, 1:02 PM)

DavidHF

Oct 3, 2015, 4:46 PM

Post #11 of 15 (7032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] US Income Tax

There are at least two US Tax Accountants at Lakeside, maybe more.

chinagringo

Oct 3, 2015, 5:37 PM

Post #12 of 15 (7023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] US Income Tax

Thank you David for confirmng what I suspected! While they may or may not be the ultimate source of great info - I don't think I would be making decisions based upon the advice of "keyboard warriors"!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

skier14

Oct 3, 2015, 7:59 PM

Post #13 of 15 (7005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] US Income Tax

David--Would you happen to have a names, addresses or phone numbers? Having passed the 80 year old mark, I am not much into driving to Lakeside to ask around.

MXcompadre

Oct 4, 2015, 1:34 PM

Post #14 of 15 (6930 views)

Shortcut

I sent you a 'Private Reply'

DavidHF

Oct 4, 2015, 4:18 PM

Post #15 of 15 (6906 views)

Shortcut