Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chinagringo

Sep 28, 2015, 8:09 PM

Post #1 of 27 (4226 views)

Shortcut

Good Old Days Part 2

Can't Post | Private Reply
So what percentage of the new "I won't do my own research crowd" end up hunkered in their gated Gringo Ghetto afraid to drive anywhere? Apparently it has become a traumatic experience driving into that huge and scary city of Guadalajara. After all, one never knows when their car might fly into the air because the Mexicans have no idea how to build or maintain their highways!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

bronco

Sep 28, 2015, 9:51 PM

Post #2 of 27 (4209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Good Old Days Part 2

few of us can answer the % question. they are correct not driving to guad. its an accident zone. when people are elderly they also dont have great reflexes. there is also the factor of police shakedowns & robberies. there is much info on these boards about driving. take a survey of the posts, do the math. they are also correct to live gated away from the dirt & noise. i have lived both ways. gated isnt always safer, depends upon the place. americans sometimes like living near others of their same ethnic backround. just as the mexicans do in the US!

Gringal

Sep 29, 2015, 8:27 AM

Post #3 of 27 (4166 views)

Shortcut

I think you need to sort out the gated community crowd from the "not driving in Guad" crowd or the too lazy to do their own research crowd.

If you have the physical limitations that accompany aging (sight, hearing, reflexes, etc.) and which are virtually inevitable if you hang around the planet long enough........you won't be inclined to drive in Los Angeles or Guadalajara or any other huge city with its variety of driving hazards. Among other things, only 30% of Mexican drivers have insurance. If you are motoring along in a large SUV, you'll have a different experience than you'd have in a mini, where one can feel like the slice of ham in a truck sandwich. So, one can't assume that people are afraid that some bizarre experience is going to occur if they drive in Guadalajara. Most people know their limitations and wisely adapt to them.

People live in gated communities for more than one reason, too. Fear may have nothing to do with it. Some like having more facilities, such as swimming pools, that they couldn't afford individually. They don't want a large garden to maintain and like having common grounds. Of course, some like the notion of having walls and gates for perceived security. Personally, I prefer living downtown in the thick of things, risks and all. Yes, there are risks in that situation. Two people within two blocks of my house have been shot and killed outside their homes in broad daylight; a occurrence which I've not heard of happening in the various gated communities. One victim was involved with drugs, but the other simply resisted handing over his money to the thugs.

The people who are too lazy to do their own research are another group altogether, and I have little sympathy for them. There are no excuses.

addtocart

Sep 29, 2015, 8:49 AM

Post #4 of 27 (4157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Good Old Days Part 2

Can't Post |

In Reply To
.Personally, I prefer living downtown in the thick of things, risks and all. Yes, there are risks in that situation. Two people within two blocks of my house have been shot and killed outside their homes in broad daylight; a occurrence which I've not heard of happening in the various gated communities. One victim was involved with drugs, but the other simply resisted handing over his money to the thugs.

How many of you, dear readers, spent your pre-retirement lives living in an area where murders are not unusual? Just wondering.

Gringal

Sep 29, 2015, 9:10 AM

Post #5 of 27 (4153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Good Old Days Part 2

If you lived in big cities......there was violence.
Some small towns had their share and if you lived in a pot growing country area, you got more than your share.

addtocart

Sep 29, 2015, 10:21 AM

Post #6 of 27 (4138 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
If you lived in big cities......there was violence.
Some small towns had their share and if you lived in a pot growing country area, you got more than your share.

I'm not talking about the south side of Chicago, unless that's where you really did live. I'm talking about places where people actually chose to live, not bothered by murders on the block.

bronco

Sep 29, 2015, 10:53 AM

Post #7 of 27 (4135 views)

Shortcut

southside chicago/baltimore is the comparative standard for most expats here. its not unusual for 8 murders to occur in these places during a holiday week. so, if that is the reality to compare, then 2 murders on the block is not much. (btw, the expat victim did not "resist", he didnt have time to hand over his wallet. armed robbers do not negioate). you are also forgetting the some other incidents on that street. moving along, there has been violence & home invasions in gated communities as well. most people do not like driving to guad. as for doing research, its almost impossible to get it right. things sometimes end up completely opposite if what you read.

(This post was edited by bronco on Sep 29, 2015, 10:57 AM)

stanbnv

Sep 29, 2015, 12:06 PM

Post #8 of 27 (4118 views)

Shortcut

Isn't asking questions on internet forums "doing research" too? Many times you can do a search on a forum and get no response because you didn't enter the exact wording. I don't usually respond to questions, especially if they are about places I haven't been to lately, because things change, and I just ignore posts asking "Is Mexico safe?". Just ignoring posts I don't like. and going on with my life is much easier on my blood pressure.

Gringal

Sep 29, 2015, 12:56 PM

Post #9 of 27 (4104 views)

Shortcut

"Dear Readers" huh? Nice tone.

The places I spoke of include the suburbs of Los Angeles and the "wine country" of California as well as the one-time "murder capital" in Central CA.

The news coming out of the U.S.A. lately makes the incidents that happened before I moved to Mexico seem tame in comparison. I don't remember seeing mass slayings at churches, schools, shopping malls or movie theaters. I don't know what's escalating the violence, but it's happening. I know that doesn't make Mexico's violence any more acceptable. My point is that are no "safe" places to hide in this world that aren't too isolated to have a normal life, complete with friends and social activities.

Gringal

Sep 29, 2015, 1:00 PM

Post #10 of 27 (4101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanbnv] Good Old Days Part 2

IMO, internet forums will produce opinions, not real research. If you ask a question such as "Is Mexico safe?" you'll get a basket full of opinions based on personal experience, hearsay and individual prejudices. Not very reliable as a way to make a large life change.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Sep 29, 2015, 1:01 PM)

addtocart

Sep 29, 2015, 1:53 PM

Post #11 of 27 (4083 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
"Dear Readers" huh? Nice tone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._People,_Dear_Reader

Lighten up.

playaboy

Sep 29, 2015, 2:26 PM

Post #12 of 27 (4076 views)

Shortcut

I don't mind the newbie questions. A long time ago I was a newbie.

It is the expert, expat, keyboard warriors that bother me. Warriors that post "good old days" information as if it is fact.

When someone posts about driving to the border and the responding expert expat doesn't drive nor has ever crossed the border by land, that bothers me. Another peeve is all the so called car import expert expats, especially the one from Canada saying it is OK for US citizens to break US law, that bothers me.

On some forums these so called experts give out really old outdated and just bad information to newbies. And then their friends like them. These newbies end up making some serious mistakes listening to the "not so expert expat".

Those expert expats do a disservice to the questioner and to the forums they post on. They can be dangerous to a newbie and should stop posting.

Gringal

Sep 29, 2015, 2:33 PM

Post #13 of 27 (4074 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, artful dodger.....Wikipedia, semantics or "lighten up" doesn't apply. It was what it was.

I'm always amused when a poster tries a turnaround from their original position. No one has claimed to have been living in Baltimore or Chicago's worst neighborhood. Anyone who reads the national news NOB is aware that murder, riots, and senseless violence occur everywhere, even in small towns or 'nice' suburbs.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Sep 29, 2015, 2:46 PM)

sparks

Sep 29, 2015, 2:36 PM

Post #14 of 27 (4072 views)

Shortcut

Overly simplified question with overly negative expectations ..... but about normal from the source

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Gringal

Sep 29, 2015, 2:43 PM

Post #15 of 27 (4068 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Good Old Days Part 2

Based on your sharing you own experiences here and elsewhere, I'm assuming that you have factual information about the car situation. When someone doesn't have solid knowledge based on facts, they should refrain from passing their ignorance around.

It is a shame that some newbies take their bad advice and lose time and money. We both know what's happened in the car legalization mess. Close to home: two good friends who could ill afford it lost over $3500 U.S. on a phony plan and still don't have legal car status. Okay..they were naive and trusting, but still a shame.

cbviajero

Sep 29, 2015, 3:16 PM

Post #16 of 27 (4057 views)

Shortcut

There is good information to be found on this and other forums.
You just have to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.

John Shrall

Sep 29, 2015, 4:04 PM

Post #17 of 27 (4035 views)

Shortcut

I was going to reply to the first thread but it took an unexpected left turn and sunk into the quicksand.

I too was a newbie 13 years ago. The web boards were active at that time but I too believe the requests/demands for information have changed too.

One of the allures of Mexico was that day to day living was not predictable. What worked yesterday might not today. The questions back then were more like can it be done, not how to do it. If something like immigration, electronics, internet and so on were possible then that's all one needed to know. The challenge became figuring out yourself with the actual players, not some unknowns on a web board. It was and even today still is a challenging game.

I'm always tickled at the posts asking who/what is the best [fill in the blank]. When soliciting an opinion the know-it-alls show up lord help the folks who disagree.

The discussion then devolves into name calling and child-like tantrums that totally confuse the poor soul that asked the question in the first place.

Once you realize that in Mexico that there is no guarantee that what worked yesterday might not today and can shrug it off and ask what today's rules are, the better off you'll be.

There's so much to enjoy living here not knowing what's next. It's impossible to imagine the boring life filled with day to day sameness if we were living back in the US.

Mexicanbill

Sep 29, 2015, 4:59 PM

Post #18 of 27 (4015 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Shrall] Good Old Days Part 2

Having read parts 1 and 2 of "The Good Old Days" boy do I miss Rolly
Chef William aka MexicanBill

Teo

Sep 29, 2015, 5:44 PM

Post #19 of 27 (3998 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Good Old Days Part 2

Missing Rolly: Ain't that the truth!

bronco

Sep 29, 2015, 7:44 PM

Post #20 of 27 (3976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Shrall] Good Old Days Part 2

what is so enjoyable about not knowing "what will happen next"? if you have problems accomplishing day to day errands, how does this serve you? i even check the weather 2xs a day. why not be ahead of the game, rather than let the game run you? an inefficient country isnt my idea of a thrill. each to his own. when i was moving to another part of mexico, i called the megastore in that location. when they said they could deliver & take phone orders, that was a selling point. (mega store is not a place i would want to spend time). i do all my own research. most info on forums is incorrect.

(This post was edited by bronco on Sep 29, 2015, 8:04 PM)

playaboy

Sep 30, 2015, 6:47 AM

Post #21 of 27 (3928 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Good Old Days Part 2

In Reply To

CB, there also is a lot of very bad, very outdated information coming from some long time posters. How is a newbie to know who is giving good info and who is hasn't left their neighborhood in years?

Most people that have been around on these forums for years know who these old timers are. These people have thousands of posts, thousands of "LIKES". I would love to recite the names of these posters with a warning "BEWARE POSTER HAS NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ON THIS SUBJECT. POSTER HAS NOT LEFT NEIGHBORHOOD IN A DECADE. FOLLOWING THE ADVICE WRITTEN HERE IS NOT RECOMMENDED"

Gringal, I too know of several people scammed regarding the car issue. There are long time posters continuing to write information about this with NO personal experience. People still give money to facilitators to try and virtually import, non-importable cars.

I agree that the makeup of the expats that retires to Mexico is different than a decade ago. Today most want all the conveniences of home for half the price. They don't have that adventure spirit you needed to survive here a decade or two ago.

cbviajero

Sep 30, 2015, 8:56 AM

Post #22 of 27 (3893 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

CB, there also is a lot of very bad, very outdated information coming from some long time posters. How is a newbie to know who is giving good info and who is hasn't left their neighborhood in years?

You have a point,there are some "old Mexico hands"dispensing inaccurate,out dated information here and most of them can't even hold a conversation in Spanish..
Re;the car import issues,it's easy to understand how some people got scammed,I almost did,the regulations kept changing,one day there's an amparo and the next day it's gone,the fact that now only 2006/2007 models can be imported really didn't help things.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Sep 30, 2015, 9:01 AM)

Gringal

Sep 30, 2015, 9:17 AM

Post #23 of 27 (3884 views)

Shortcut

Easy to say "separate the wheat from the chaff", but in my experience, that isn't easy to do. Some speak with the "voice of authority" about out of date or downright incorrect information. It takes a few years, not months, to know who's giving good information and who's just talking to hear themselves. Rolly was a pure treasure in providing good information to newbies.

About what people expect these days as opposed to the more adventurous types of yore? I don't know the "why", but
I've noticed that many newcomers are more risk-averse and less willing to adapt. They seem to have one foot in Mexico and the other in the U.S.A. and will flee back "home" quite readily, whether it be too much culture shock or fear of Mexican medical care. They hesitate to adapt to what is available here, whether it's clothing or peanut butter, and will go to great lengths to get that special thing or food they love. There's a supermarket in the Lakeside area making a fine profit from getting those imports for people. A company exists to take expats "home" by air to get medical treatment in the U.S. Yearly shopping trips to Texas malls are common.

And, based on web board posts, people complain that Mexico isn't more like the U.S.A. One fella was freaking out over the fire hazard presented by the annual Globos festival. (Hey, have a fire extinguisher handy, bud.)

I don't think those attitudes bring contentment with one's day to day reality.

bronco

Sep 30, 2015, 11:05 AM

Post #24 of 27 (3862 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Good Old Days Part 2

people project their own stuff. there is difference between age 50 & 76. most elderly people dont want difficulties. there seems to be more & more of them as time goes on. easier 25 plus years ago, you could pickup the phone & call a cab. few people, no noise, lots of privacy. it is an extension of an senior center somewhere in texas, toxic & industrial. now people talk about parking & disco speakers. there are long lines to get into a restaurant. dont understand 80% of the posts, recommendations, locations, names. agree, some advice is outdated. the rest is subjective. one mans meat is another mans poison. how can anyone compare a place which is 100% different than it was like in 1965?

chinagringo

Sep 30, 2015, 8:48 PM

Post #25 of 27 (3803 views)

Shortcut

To your point, on July 11, 2009 - I posted the following right here on MexConnect:
Dumb Mistake Edit | Delete | Quote | Reply | Private Reply When returning from our visit to Mexico last October, the Immigration Official at the Santa Teresa, NM border crossing suggested retaining our FMT's since they had another five and a half months left on them. Kathy thought that we would be going south again within that period and maybe it was a good idea? It came to our attention yesterday that we had forgotten and are still in possession of now expired FMT's. We have a trip planned next month and plan to turn these in at the border. It seems that I have read about some sort of fine in the past but cannot seem to find any threads on the topic. Any ideas as to what the fine may amount to?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

And I received the following from one of the expert expat keyboard warriors that you mention:

Unless things have changed lately ... I'd just throw them away and get new ones. FMT's or even FM3's are not entered into the computer when you enter/exit

They do get tied to the auto permit but that is un-related.

We could have driven to the border the following weekend and taken care of the problem. Granted, it would have been about 9 hours R/T but after the above response, we didn't see a reason. About a month later, we did attempt to cross the border at Santa Teresa, NM and were busted because of a missing stamp in a Passport. 90 days expired x $5USD x 2 people = $900USD. About 2 to 3 hours of negotiating produced a reduction in fine to $400USD and we finally got to head south.

A real life lesson in not believing resident experts!

Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4