Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Gracious

Sep 29, 2015, 1:25 AM

Post #1 of 25 (12427 views)

Shortcut

Question about FMM For Temporal resident

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi ,

Yesterday I entered in Mexico city from USA and I faced problem while Immigration when they asked me about FMM . In the flight I filled a new FMM form which INM office at the port of entry did not accept . They wanted the upper half of FMM form which I got while leaving the country . So I am all confused . Can some one explain me the process how it supposed to happen for Temporal Resident Visa ?

1> What is the process ?
2> What all column should be left blank when leaving from Mexico in FMM form because INM officer told me that when you leave then keep the flight details blank in the upper half because that will be filled when you enter in Mexico next time .
3> I am confused that when I leave mexico in that FMM form the lower half will have different flight number and upper half will have different flight number ?

Maesonna

Sep 29, 2015, 9:42 AM

Post #2 of 25 (12387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gracious] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

It depends whether you are a Mexican resident or not. I wasnít clear what your status is.

If you are a Mexican resident (that is, you already have a temporal or permanente visa Ė you mentioned temporal), you take a new, blank FMM when you leave Mexico. You fill in one half (I never remember which half, but I ask the INM officer and they tell me). That half will be collected when you board the aircraft. Keep the other half during your stay abroad to present when you re-enter Mexico. (When you return, they may give you a new, blank FMM on the flight but you donít use it. Discard it or keep it for your next trip.)

What you hand in at immigration when you re-enter Mexico is the remaining half of the FMM you got when you left Mexico. It is supposed have a different flight number, because it is the number of your returning flight, whereas the first half had the number of your outbound flight.

If you are not a Mexican resident, this doesnít apply to you.

If you are a prospective Mexican resident (about to apply for Mexican residency), you should have discarded the new blank FMM they gave you and entered with the FMM you got at the Mexican consulate.

If you are a prospective Mexican resident (have already applied for Mexican residency, but havenít received your visa yet), you should have exited the county with a temporary permit for one exit and reentry (permiso de salida y regreso).

Have I covered all the possibilities here?

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Sep 29, 2015, 9:45 AM)

playaboy

Sep 29, 2015, 10:44 AM

Post #3 of 25 (12373 views)

Shortcut

Did you checkout with INM when you left MX?

I flew into DF airport this morning from Los Angeles. I checked out when I left Mexico and had no problem when I came back today.

As a residente your are required to check out of Mexico. I checked out with INM when I drove out a couple weeks ago. I had a FMM pre-filled to present to INM when I left. On the top half make sure to write your resident status on the top of both half's, Box #7 says "Mexico", Box #8 has your INM card number, Box #9 check "otro", leave Box #'s 10,11,12,and 13 blank. Ask the officer to stamp the back of the form. Makes things easier when you come back.

On the bottom half, box #7 check "otro". I usually leave by land, box 8, so I don't fill in box 9 and 10.

If you check out properly then you should not have any problems returning. I know someone, a former RP, that didn't check out of Mexico, when she returned she was purposely given a FMM tourista, and lost her RP status.

Gracious

Sep 29, 2015, 7:46 PM

Post #4 of 25 (12318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

Hi,

Thanks for your response . Before I left Mexico I was having my Temporal Resident Permit .

Yes you have covered all the possibilities in your explanation .Millions of thanks for that .

Can I ask one other question on the same topic . When I left Mexico I did not know what is the Card Number really was so I really do not remember if I put my passport number there or may be I left it blank but while returning to Mexico city yesterday I gave the correct information and the INM lady told me how it really suppose to be . So now I know how it works but what will happen to the lower half of the form in which I did not put the CARD number ?

playaboy

Sep 30, 2015, 7:19 AM

Post #5 of 25 (12278 views)

Shortcut

Next time you can grab extra copies of the FMM form.

You do not write your INM card number on the lower half.

The physical FMM paper contains a bar code. When entering or leaving Mexico, your passport, INM residente card, and FMM are scanned by the computer. After scanning the INM officer can enter any additional information to your file within the Mexican national database.

I believe the officers want everything to match up. If they don't, the red light flashed on their computer screen and you now have an issue.

joaquinx

Sep 30, 2015, 7:45 AM

Post #6 of 25 (12269 views)

Shortcut

Question about FMM For Temporal resident

Anyone have a current copy of the FMM in PDF format that they could publish here? It is easier to understand the form and the boxes that need to be filled in when we can see the actual form.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

tonyburton / Moderator

Sep 30, 2015, 8:51 AM

Post #7 of 25 (12255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

Attached should be a copy of FMM (as of 12 months ago).
Attachments: fmm.pdf (88.8 KB)

joaquinx

Sep 30, 2015, 8:55 AM

Post #8 of 25 (12249 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

In Reply To
Attached should be a copy of FMM (as of 12 months ago).

Thank you. I've been looking for a current form and simply couldn't find one.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

playaboy

Sep 30, 2015, 10:49 AM

Post #9 of 25 (12229 views)

Shortcut

That is the form I used yesterday.

viktoremski

Sep 30, 2015, 11:34 AM

Post #10 of 25 (12222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

I still have not figured out how to check out and back into Mexico when crossing by foot (Tijuana). There is no INM kiosk on the way out. I asked this question before on this forum, I also asked at INM offices in Tijuana (located not near the border), and they could not give me a clear answer.
And then, if you cross daily for a few hours only, how are you supposed to handle that?

AlanMexicali

Sep 30, 2015, 12:46 PM

Post #11 of 25 (12208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

In Reply To
I still have not figured out how to check out and back into Mexico when crossing by foot (Tijuana). There is no INM kiosk on the way out. I asked this question before on this forum, I also asked at INM offices in Tijuana (located not near the border), and they could not give me a clear answer.
And then, if you cross daily for a few hours only, how are you supposed to handle that?

Go in the exit in TJ to check out with INM at their new building. Go in the entrance from San Ysidro to check in.

http://www.npr.org/...xico-border-crossing

(This post was edited by RickS on Sep 30, 2015, 1:10 PM)

viktoremski

Sep 30, 2015, 12:56 PM

Post #12 of 25 (12204 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

I believe there is only one way to enter that new building, from US side of the border. That means, I would have to leave Mexico - without proper notification - and risk losing my RP status...

skier14

Sep 30, 2015, 3:16 PM

Post #13 of 25 (12181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

I have simply walked up the stairs to the right just before the white fence to enter the USA past the military personnel and entered the INM office to the left. My last trip to the US was Sept. 14th, arriving in TIJ in the morning by plane. The INM desk is to the left of the departure area at the airport. I was told I didn't need to check out if I was returning by way of TIJ. I told the young lady that I might be returning to Guadalajara by air form a US city. She gave me the form to fill out. Wrote Residente Pernanente at the top of both halves of the form and kept the top portion to use on the return trip. Upon returning to Mexico the same desk at TIJ airport a young man (speaking good English)again told me I did not have to use any form, but on my insistence he took the top part. I hope neither or both are recorded in the computer. Bye-the-way, for those flying Volaris...Their hand luggage size as been reduced considerably. $400 pesos at the gate for the old permitted size. I now fly Interjet.

addtocart

Sep 30, 2015, 3:27 PM

Post #14 of 25 (12179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

Can't Post |

In Reply To
Bye-the-way, for those flying Volaris...Their hand luggage size as been reduced considerably. $400 pesos at the gate for the old permitted size. I now fly Interjet.

I just flew Volaris from GDL to Denver and ran into the smaller carryon problem. The new size is about the size of a WalMart bag. So here's the options:

You can pay $400 pesos to carry the bag on, hoist it up into the overhead bin, then lug it back down bumping people on the head, then drag it through the plane and up the ramp, or someone else does all of that for free. I just put all the stuff I don't want to lose in my backpack and my dirty laundry in the (previously free) carryon. You have to go to baggage claim to go through customs anyway.

RickS

Sep 30, 2015, 6:42 PM

Post #15 of 25 (12154 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

A 'Walmart bag' is not very definitive, so here is the actual reg....

"Two personal items, with a maximum size of 9.8 inches in width, 15.7 inches in length, and 15.7 inches in height each"

AlanMexicali

Oct 1, 2015, 5:24 AM

Post #16 of 25 (12122 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I have simply walked up the stairs to the right just before the white fence to enter the USA past the military personnel and entered the INM office to the left. My last trip to the US was Sept. 14th, arriving in TIJ in the morning by plane. The INM desk is to the left of the departure area at the airport. I was told I didn't need to check out if I was returning by way of TIJ. I told the young lady that I might be returning to Guadalajara by air form a US city. She gave me the form to fill out. Wrote Residente Pernanente at the top of both halves of the form and kept the top portion to use on the return trip. Upon returning to Mexico the same desk at TIJ airport a young man (speaking good English)again told me I did not have to use any form, but on my insistence he took the top part. I hope neither or both are recorded in the computer. Bye-the-way, for those flying Volaris...Their hand luggage size as been reduced considerably. $400 pesos at the gate for the old permitted size. I now fly Interjet.

The 2 INM officers at the TJ airport booth were correct. You were pushy so they, being nice, followed your directions. I feel both halves of the FMM card went in the trash.

I have several times asked INM officers at both the TJ and Mexicali airports about FMM cards, both tourist and FMM cards when I had a new resident visa card.

The rule states when you leave Mexico you hand in your FMM tourist card or your checking out of Mexico FMM card when a RT or RP visa holder only at the border INM offices not at either of the airports as they know you are still in Mexico and are not supposed to take FMM tourist cards or process FMM cards to check out of Mexico for residents with RT or RP visas. They are only there to process FMM tourist cards for tourists at those 2 airports.

If you show them your RP card at the TJ airport booth as I have they tell you; No Sir you do not need anything from us as you are already legal in Mexico and can get on the plane. In other words you do not need them to process a tourist FMM card. You donīt need one to travel inside Mexico.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Oct 1, 2015, 6:42 AM)

viktoremski

Oct 1, 2015, 10:05 AM

Post #17 of 25 (12087 views)

Shortcut

Since the pedestrian crossing has been moved to the new building, I am not sure if the old "up the stairs to the right" place is still viable. I may check it out one day.
I still don't see how their system can work for people who cross to San Diego daily, for a few hours only. And since I am about to apply for Mexican citizenship, I don't want to risk getting my passport stamped upon crossing back to Mexico, or worse, have my RP status revoked because of lack of earlier check-out.
Like I said, INM officials at TJ offices were not helpful, could not answer my questions. Maybe I worry for nothing, but for now other routs seem like a safer option: by getting a ride into Mexico, or by crossing at Otay Mesa, 15 minutes by bus east of San Ysidro.

david3528

Oct 22, 2015, 10:54 AM

Post #18 of 25 (11252 views)

Shortcut

Quote ''If you are a prospective Mexican resident (about to apply for Mexican residency), you should have discarded the new blank FMM they gave you and entered with the FMM you got at the Mexican consulate. ''

You were very clear, but I am confused. Somewhere, I had read when you are about to apply for residency, you provide your passport with visa AND a letter from the consulate to the immigration officer. I did not get a letter, just the visa. Should I have gotten a letter? Or am I reading too many forums?

(This post was edited by david3528 on Oct 22, 2015, 12:25 PM)

Maesonna

Oct 22, 2015, 1:38 PM

Post #19 of 25 (11228 views)

Shortcut

Re: [david3528] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

How long ago was it? To the best of my knowledge, resident visas are no longer issued outside of Mexico. What they issue are the documents that show you have qualified for a visa and started the process. Then you take these documents to the INM office in-country to complete the process of getting your visa, which has to be started within 30 days of entering Mexico.

This sequence is different from how it used to be pre-reform (pre-2012), when you could apply for a resident visa and obtain it within Mexico, or else if you qualified, you could get the visa outside Mexico before arriving in the country.

david3528

Oct 22, 2015, 1:43 PM

Post #20 of 25 (11224 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, I was probably unclear, but what I did mean is once you get your visa in your passport at your home country, is the visa all you present at the airport upon entering, or should it be accompanied by some kind of letter from the consulate in your home country?

Cm1401

Oct 22, 2015, 3:59 PM

Post #21 of 25 (11204 views)

Shortcut

I just did this in June. You receive the one time entry visa from the consulate, fill out the FMM on the plane, show the immigration officer the visa in your passport, they fill out the FMM a little differently, go to,the imigration office and they take the FMM,

I think I was given a photo copy so that I had something while I waited, I had to get a travel letter.

Was going to apply pernamament residency, but my consulate did not understand that was an option, I had the finances to support it. I will have to do the one year, and renew for 3 years net Spring
Cerritos Beach, El Pescadero

david3528

Oct 22, 2015, 4:51 PM

Post #22 of 25 (11197 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cm1401] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

In Reply To
I just did this in June. You receive the one time entry visa from the consulate, fill out the FMM on the plane, show the immigration officer the visa in your passport, they fill out the FMM a little differently, go to,the imigration office and they take the FMM,

I think I was given a photo copy so that I had something while I waited, I had to get a travel letter.

Was going to apply pernamament residency, but my consulate did not understand that was an option, I had the finances to support it. I will have to do the one year, and renew for 3 years net Spring

---------------------------------------------------------------------
After immigration officer, we need to go to the immigration office?? Where is this office?? and what is this travel letter? Oh boy this is so complicated!

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Oct 22, 2015, 5:29 PM)

Cm1401

Oct 22, 2015, 4:57 PM

Post #23 of 25 (11193 views)

Shortcut

You must report to the local immigration office, pay your fees, finger prints etc, a travel letter is needed if you need to leave the country before you get your temporary resident card, turn in your proper sized photos and formal application

I used a Lawyer to facitate everything, well worth the money, they know the system, I think I spent 10 minutes the first time turning everything in, and 5 minutes to pick up the card.
Cerritos Beach, El Pescadero

(This post was edited by Cm1401 on Oct 22, 2015, 7:01 PM)

david3528

Oct 22, 2015, 5:01 PM

Post #24 of 25 (11191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cm1401] Question about FMM For Temporal resident

In Reply To
You must report to the local immigration office, pay your fees, finger prints etc, a travel letter is needed if you need to leave the country before you get your temporary resident card, turn in your proper sized photos and formal application

I used Lawyer to facitate everything, well worth the money, they now the system, I think I spent 10 minutes the first time turning everything in, and 5 minutes to pick up the cars.

-----------------------------------

OK, who did you use and how much did they charge?

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Oct 22, 2015, 5:29 PM)

Mexicanbill

Nov 20, 2015, 2:48 PM

Post #25 of 25 (10190 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the form. it makes it a lot easier to follow along when you have the form in front of you
Chef William aka MexicanBill

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4