Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

chinagringo

Sep 27, 2015, 9:56 AM

Post #1 of 2 (4274 views)

Shortcut

Rewards of Driving the Back Roads of Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
OK, I have to admit that like so many others, we are guilty of choosing the cuotas or main highway getting from point A to point B but we learned a somewhat valuable lesson on our most recent trip.

Short Backstory: I had been working on the possibility of having a custom made sheepskin coat made in Leon and a contact from San Miguel de Allende lined us up with a "leather guy" who had made jackets and other items for them. I knew exactly the style and detail that I wanted and it turned out that while he offered a great price, he just didn't have access to the type sheepskin I was looking for.

Fast forward four days and we were in Tequisquiapan having spent the night there. Plan was to head back through San Juan del Rio to catch the highway to Tlalpujahua, Michoacan and then on to Patzcuaro. But the Federales, State and local police had other ideas because they had the highway closed between Tequisquiapan and San Juan del Rio and were not offering any indication of what happened or how long it would be closed. A State Policeman told us we to had to go around. After consulting our Guia Roja and GPS units - I found two alternate routes: one which took us north and one south. Since we needed to end up south, we chose Hwy 200 to Hwy 30 to Huichapan and then Hwy 45 to Hwy 57. Impressive striking green hills along a winding highway that sometime varied in condition but an enjoyable drive. Surprised by the number of cantera quarries and fabrication facilities that seemed to specialize in architectural cantera rather than the typical statues or fountains. About 8 to 10 miles out of Huichapan, we came over a rise and there are a wide spot off the highway, there were three connected stands with one being a sheepskin jacket/coat vendor. On a lark we stopped, knowing full well that there wouldn't be one in a size to fit this XXL to XXXL Gringo. But the guy kept insisting and kept digging in the back of his stand and sure enough he came up with one that was sized perfectly:
https://plus.google.com/.../6198994140308844273
Not a replacement for the style I had been dreaming of for a long time but at $850MXN, a decent knock around coat for our sporatic winters here in Albuquerque.

We have learned a lesson and will do more research to find out if there are reasons to look at alternative routes in the future!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Sep 27, 2015, 9:53 PM

Post #2 of 2 (4232 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Rewards of Driving the Back Roads of Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
That's the best 'back roads' story I've heard in a very long time Neil.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4