Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DigYourself

Sep 27, 2015, 3:17 PM

Post #26 of 39 (6168 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Back in the Good Old Days?

|
Dylan was a popular folk artist when I was a youngster.
Today someone might say 'oh don't take yourself so seriously' - or - 'think about what you are saying'.
But when I was a kid - if someone told you to 'dig yourself' you actually took pause.

Edit:
Sometimes I use it as a way to gauge the age of someone. People my age know what it means :-)

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on Sep 27, 2015, 3:22 PM)

Gringal

Sep 27, 2015, 3:22 PM

Post #27 of 39 (6164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
Oh yes. Most of us remember Dylan: would-be guru musician/poet turned Christian and still hanging in there. Haven't we moved on from that era? Or maybe it's true that if you remember the sixties, you weren't all there at the time.

I gathered that you were quite serious in your original opinion about other expats. So...."own it".

(This post was edited by Gringal on Sep 27, 2015, 3:24 PM)

DigYourself

Sep 27, 2015, 3:25 PM

Post #28 of 39 (6159 views)

Shortcut

|
Whatever - adios !

Gringal

Sep 27, 2015, 3:42 PM

Post #29 of 39 (6147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
OMG! "whatever"??? Do people still say that?

Adios, to you, too. Enjoy your life out there and watch out for those tricky gringos!

cbviajero

Sep 27, 2015, 4:12 PM

Post #30 of 39 (6132 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DigYourself] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Whatever - adios !

Que te vaya bonito..

chinagringo

Sep 27, 2015, 4:32 PM

Post #31 of 39 (6126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
Back to the original premise for the OP. While I am very open about the fact that we live in Albuquerque, NM, we did have a vacation home near Lake Chapala from 1998 to 2006 and since selling it, have traveled Mexico quite extensively on our own. To this day, I see questions being asked to which I can provide answers because they have been the same for years and well covered on various forums. Back in the good old days, members would often politely suggest that people do a bit of legwork on their own before trying the lazy route.

When I spot questions being asked where there exists plenty of info, I just have to wonder what the commitment level is of moving to Mexico and just what these folk might contribute? Some recent headscratchers from this or other forums:
1) Where can I find fresh ginger root?
2) From a long time resident of the north shore of Lake Chapala: "where can I find a men's t-shirt with an Ajijic design?"
3) What is the deal with financing a home in Mexico with a conventional mortgage?
4) How dangerous is Morelia & Patzcuaro?
5) What can we do to straighten out our wonderful Gringo village of Ajijic and make it more like our home town in _ _ _ _ _?
6) Can we get Ajijc declared a "Pueblo Magico" or a UNESCO World Heritage site?
7) And just today, I picked up on one where the poster wanted to have someone driving to the Lake Chapala area with a trailer to pick up their furniture and then head back the next day without getting the necessary vehicle paperwork because it would be easier.
8) And then we have the case of flying cars on the highway into Guadalajara since Mexico has such horrible roads! We just returned home from a trip of about 1500 miles in Central Mexico on both cuotas and regular highways and I can guarantee there are roads in the US in far worse condition with California coming to mind as a prime example! And I would venture a guess that we just drove more miles in 12 days than these complainers have in years in Mexico?

What happened to the true free spirits who understood having a sense of adventure and were really willing to work at achieving their goal?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Sep 27, 2015, 4:33 PM)

Gringal

Sep 27, 2015, 5:03 PM

Post #32 of 39 (6104 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Good post, China. Eleven years ago we decided to head to Mexico. We fully expected to have a pile of challenges and we tried not to ask the kind of dumb questions that we could find the answers to ourselves.

I don't think the newcomers are much different than those of us who came here some time ago. It's possible that we are just weary of hearing the same old, same old......over and over. Newbies: please, please do your homework, folks. If you have a question you can't find the answer to.....okay......ask. Glad to help.

chinagringo

Sep 27, 2015, 5:30 PM

Post #33 of 39 (6094 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
" If you have a question you can't find the answer to.....okay......ask. Glad to help."

While I fully agree, I would have to caution that answers may be geographically oriented or quite dated in the case of certain posters who haven't stayed with the times! Mexico, like many progressing countries is an ever changing dynamic but I still stick by my contention that: the only consistency in Mexico is its inconsistency! And that folks can be what makes it so damned much fun if you can get past the NOB tendency to become frustrated!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

bronco

Sep 27, 2015, 5:37 PM

Post #34 of 39 (6093 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
most of the questions are are fine. i myself like to know where they sell "fresh" ginger. this "adventure" stuff is hilarious. most folks want to know about walmart, & the hours they are open. the old timers (who dont live here), think this is area some exotic big deal. in reality its similar to a suburb in anywhere USA. hello, its not 1961. people move here now because because of the weather. they also percieve it is cheaper. since it was easier in the good old days, there may have been less questioning. the internet IS the fast track for ginger as well. whats wrong w/T shirt w/ajijic design? sounds like a nice gift. dont like it? dont wear it. people also enjoy sharing info w/these picky little personal things. (like fragrance free soap). i dont have a problem being nice. looking for the right soap is not everyones idea of adventure. as for legal matters, forums are not the right place!

(This post was edited by bronco on Sep 27, 2015, 5:45 PM)

bournemouth

Sep 27, 2015, 7:00 PM

Post #35 of 39 (6080 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
And Cuerna1 seems to have morphed into DigYourself.

Gringal

Sep 27, 2015, 7:17 PM

Post #36 of 39 (6075 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
This is for you: Bronco, Bennie, Bennie2, Susan, Laura etc., etc.
The current one and any further PM's from you will be deleted. Save yourself the trouble of sending them.

cbviajero

Sep 27, 2015, 7:26 PM

Post #37 of 39 (6068 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply

In Reply To
And Cuerna1 seems to have morphed into DigYourself.

And on the same thread,I'd never seen that before,pretty slick...

jeffie1

Sep 28, 2015, 6:49 AM

Post #38 of 39 (6006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply

In Reply To
most of the questions are are fine. i myself like to know where they sell "fresh" ginger. this "adventure" stuff is hilarious. most folks want to know about walmart, & the hours they are open. the old timers (who dont live here), think this is area some exotic big deal. in reality its similar to a suburb in anywhere USA. hello, its not 1961. people move here now because because of the weather. they also percieve it is cheaper. since it was easier in the good old days, there may have been less questioning. the internet IS the fast track for ginger as well. whats wrong w/T shirt w/ajijic design? sounds like a nice gift. dont like it? dont wear it. people also enjoy sharing info w/these picky little personal things. (like fragrance free soap). i dont have a problem being nice. looking for the right soap is not everyones idea of adventure. as for legal matters, forums are not the right place!

Say what?

tonyburton / Moderator

Sep 28, 2015, 7:45 AM

Post #39 of 39 (5981 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I've locked this thread, which started just fine but then disintegrated into less-than-useful cryptic comments and has become impossible to prune. Feel feel to start another.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4