Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chinagringo

Sep 25, 2015, 7:15 PM

Post #1 of 39 (9978 views)

Shortcut

Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
An observation: it seems to this member that 6 to 10 years ago, people interested in moving to Mexico for whatever reason took a great deal of pride in the fact that they had the dedication and commitment to invest a good deal of time in researching their dream and what might be involved before they asked a bunch of questions and burdened others with having to answer their questions. Obviousy times have changed and it seems that people have an expectation that long time forum members are obligated to furnish the answers for instant gratification. Is this a sign of the times that people expect instant gratification or are people less commited or are people simply lazy?

Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

yucatandreamer

Sep 26, 2015, 6:11 AM

Post #2 of 39 (9932 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
I understand your frustration but I bet it is more a function of the proliferation of social media than anything else. We have become comfortable asking questions and perhaps showing our ignorance to complete strangers. When I moved to Mexico I joined MexConnect in order to read what the people who lived here had to say but I only read the articles and posts and was too shy to ask questions. I am glad I didn't ask many questions because Mexico is a constant surprise. Everything I thought might be difficult to accomplish was easy and many many things I thought would be simple turned out to be confusing and difficult. What was and still is amazing is that every situation is approached like it is the first time. What is impossible for one person to do is easily accomplished by the next person or even by you another day. It is not that there are no rules or regulations in Mexico for there are many. It is that all rules are fluid and there are an infinite number of ways to answer any question.

So for me, I'm glad I didn't ask all those basically unanswerable questions that I had about moving to Mexico. Many of the answers would have been useless anyway. It was good to have done research and read through forums and postings but the best advice is to come with an open mind, a flexible personality and a sense of the absurd.

jreboll

Sep 26, 2015, 6:48 AM

Post #3 of 39 (9921 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Probably a repeat of what Yucatandreamer is saying. When we started coming to Mexico in the seventies there was no internet or Google so we had to figure things out. In our own way of thinking we thought we were unique because none of our neighbors or co-workers were doing it. We got used to saying "Oh, we'll figure it out when we get there." We either packed too much or not enough but somehow it worked out. Now with the Internet, dangers in traveling, advanced age, etc, etc. we tend to ask more questions

playaboy

Sep 26, 2015, 7:59 AM

Post #4 of 39 (9901 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I think these are the end of the "good old days" for forums like this. People do not come here with their questions as much as they did in the past.

The Facebook community is the new wave of communication. Folks go there for answers.

DigYourself

Sep 26, 2015, 9:04 AM

Post #5 of 39 (9887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Back in the Good Old Days?

|
No Facebook. No Twitter. No Linkedin. None of that stuff. Once worked for a company that aggregated all that stuff as well as all the other data that is available on you from Motor Vehicles, taxes, medical, insurance, education, all the addresses and phone numbers you have ever had and on and on. Used to be fun when we had a important guest come visit. We would be sitting around the conference table and the owner of the company would say something like - let's see what we know about you (to the guest). It always made a big impression.

I kind of agree with you though. Too much info on sites such as this is stale and never updated. Best you can do is research something and then when you find out something is no longer correct - point it out for the next guy.

cbviajero

Sep 26, 2015, 9:12 AM

Post #6 of 39 (9884 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I've gotten a lot of good info from this forum,one example was when I first read about the FATCA requirements here,I was not in compliance because I'd never heard of them, another was Rolly's blog which provided a lot of good information for people making the move.

chinagringo

Sep 26, 2015, 9:27 AM

Post #7 of 39 (9874 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
Your point is spot on since: the only consistency in Mexico is its inconsistency! This being the case provides plenty of opportunity for the self proclaimed "experts" to prove their brilliance by misleading members based upon their experiences in a different time or different location.

Then again, the same can certainly happen using the joke called: Social Media!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Gringal

Sep 26, 2015, 9:44 AM

Post #8 of 39 (9865 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
Interesting article in the news today about how the "free" Social Media groups on the Internet profit from the information gathered on their members. Billions. How else could they be profitable? I sort of like the one where Yahoo mail wants your cell phone number so it can "help you" retrieve your password if you forget it. lol.

So, no thanks to them. Those who are willing to be assimilated by the Borg for free aren't going to get any more useful information on moving to a foreign country than they could by either doing a good "search" on the proper net sites or even (gasp) going to the public library. There is a plethora of wrong information passed around by people responding to web board questions. For example, look at the mess around legalizing cars for the last few years. People lost money believing some of it.

Us dummies moving to Mexico knocked ourselves out getting information before packing up back in 2004, and we didn't get it from Faceplant or its brethren. This board was a help. It wasn't hard to sort out the blowhards from the Rollys.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Sep 26, 2015, 9:45 AM)

DigYourself

Sep 26, 2015, 10:19 AM

Post #9 of 39 (9858 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Back in the Good Old Days?

|
Interesting read :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...e-future-of-the-web/

"But the United Nations proposes both that social networks proactively police every profile and post, and that government agencies only “license” those who agree to do so."

Gringal

Sep 26, 2015, 11:15 AM

Post #10 of 39 (9847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
You think maybe the Social Media Free for All party is winding to a close, in its own way?

Another negative feature is the "foreverness" of the posts. We have a young female relative who thought it was "cute" when she was a mid-teener to post "sexy" pictures of herself and write as though she were a mature sexpot.
So there it is, forever. Now she's in her mid twenties and has some 'splaining to do to potential serious would be employers. Oh, the regrets. It's too bad there's no legislation in the States giving users the "right to be forgotten".

richmx2

Sep 26, 2015, 11:35 AM

Post #11 of 39 (9840 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm wondering how much of this is a changing demographic. What I mean is that even a few years ago (and 15 years ago doesn't seem that long any more) people contemplating a move to Mexico (or Ecuador, or any other foreign location) generally saw themselves as seeking a change in their lives... and could be expected to be asked by incredulous visitors "WHY????" We started out by seeing something not familiar to us, and moved here expecting things to work differently, and prepared ourselves for the differences as well as we could. Maybe I'm just one of those grumps who wants to close the bridge, pull up the ladder, etc. but it seems that now people see moving to Mexico the way my parent's generation saw a move to Florida or Arizona... as just a cheaper place to live, but one where they would be familiar with the basics... buying property, registering a car, etc. and not where they were expected to make radical adjustments.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

DigYourself

Sep 26, 2015, 12:40 PM

Post #12 of 39 (9828 views)

Shortcut

|
No one should ever use their real identity on the web. And it is sad what happens to kids who don't know better. I once worked for a wealthy guy who didn't like the search engine results that turned up for him. He was able to be forgotten (for the most part) - but that is only from the search - the content is still out there.

DigYourself

Sep 26, 2015, 12:56 PM

Post #13 of 39 (9824 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Back in the Good Old Days?

|
We definitely did not come here looking for 'radical adjustments'. We lived in a great coastal place in the US for 30+ years. Coming to Mexico is our way of down-sizing our costs without down-sizing our lifestyle (so much). We are 1.5 hours from the Mexico City airport (by bus). And live in a place that has a Costco, Office Depot, Home Depot etc. We drive a 16 year old Jeep and our house here is even more incredible than the one we had in the US - but instead of having a boat docked in the backyard we live at 5800 feet. The Spanish language is my new challenge.

Edit:
But having said all that - my wife has 1 or 2 non-Mexican friends she meets meets with once or twice a year. We have some close Mexican friends who are pretty much all better off then we are. I have always chosen my friends very carefully and have yet to meet a non-Mexican I would care to call a friend.

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on Sep 26, 2015, 1:17 PM)

Gringal

Sep 26, 2015, 1:43 PM

Post #14 of 39 (9811 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"But having said all that - my wife has 1 or 2 non-Mexican friends she meets meets with once or twice a year. We have some close Mexican friends who are pretty much all better off then we are. I have always chosen my friends very carefully and have yet to meet a non-Mexican I would care to call a friend."

That's a rather sweeping condemnation of your fellow expats, IMO. Is there a reason for this prejudice?

DigYourself

Sep 26, 2015, 3:14 PM

Post #15 of 39 (9788 views)

Shortcut

|
Experience - most expats seem to be looking to make money off fellow expats.

And I could recite occurrences.

To be fair - we don't live in some sort of expat community. It might take me 20 minutes to reach an expat by car.

Gringal

Sep 26, 2015, 3:31 PM

Post #16 of 39 (9782 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sounds like you've had nothing but bad experiences.

This doesn't hold true in a community like Lake Chapala where there are many expats of every type, including a few con artists, hustlers, people on the lam for crimes elsewhere: in other words, we have the good, the bad, the marginally okay and everything in between. It would take me two minutes to cross the street and find other expats........so our situations are very different. The ones I call friends here are honest, loyal, intelligent people who pay their own way and don't exploit anyone.

I live in a mixed neighborhood with Mexicans and expats.....all getting along well enough with one another.

DigYourself

Sep 26, 2015, 4:03 PM

Post #17 of 39 (9776 views)

Shortcut

|

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on Sep 26, 2015, 4:47 PM)

bronco

Sep 27, 2015, 11:07 AM

Post #18 of 39 (9657 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
correct. they either shove a business card in your face, or they are collecting for some charity. always some hustle or some bs. pretend you dont speak english & they go away.

sparks

Sep 27, 2015, 1:37 PM

Post #19 of 39 (9629 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Kinda of elitist to shun all social media but "no worthy gringos" is elitist too.

The only way to learn what's going on in our area is on Facebook. That and Whatsapp is all the Mexicans do. Stuff for sale, cleanup parties, Spay and Neuter Clinic, help for old folks, local government announcements and two general news channels

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

DigYourself

Sep 27, 2015, 1:58 PM

Post #20 of 39 (9620 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Back in the Good Old Days?

|
Elitist:

1 : giving special treatment and advantages to wealthy and powerful people
elitist colleges
an elitist country club
2 : regarding other people as inferior because they lack power, wealth, etc.
She's an elitist snob.

I have a $3 USD LG accolade flip-phone - pay IUsacell 100 pesos per month - and I have no idea where the phone is at the moment :-)

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on Sep 27, 2015, 2:02 PM)

Gringal

Sep 27, 2015, 2:03 PM

Post #21 of 39 (9617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
What is "elitist" about shunning the social media? I lost you there. Personally, I shun it because it's a scheme on the part of those who run it to collect personal information from those who join and SELL it for profit to advertisers. I would call it a "con job", except any and everyone who reads the news knows how it works. There are many other sources of local information, i.e. garage sales, events, directions other than Facebook. If all else fails, there's the local newspaper and bulletin boards. If you like Facebook......use it, but don't claim it's essential.

The notion of shunning other expats is rather amusing, especially from Bronco, who lives in the Lake Chapala enclave where they are everywhere. I'll refrain from expanding my opinion of that attitude beyond saying I have little patience with the "I'm special" mindset.

I haven't yet encountered anyone shoving a business card at me. Charities can be ignored if one chooses to do so. I choose to support some programs. The only people ringing my doorbell are either pushing a religious cult or individual beggars. "No gracias" and a firm "adios" does the job, through the peek hole. No nasties needed.

I'm amazed at the level of bitterness I read on the web boards. Why spend your one trip on planet Earth mired in negativity?

(This post was edited by Gringal on Sep 27, 2015, 2:20 PM)

chinagringo

Sep 27, 2015, 2:17 PM

Post #22 of 39 (9610 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
As the OP, I can safely state that this post wasn't made with the intent to start a Gringo vs Gringo bashing with the net result that the conversation seems to have gone far afield! [edited by TB to remove personal comment]
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Sep 28, 2015, 9:08 AM)

DigYourself

Sep 27, 2015, 2:24 PM

Post #23 of 39 (9606 views)

Shortcut

|
Dig yourself. (Dylan)

https://www.google.com/...WUmMgCFcjRgAodAOELcA

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on Sep 27, 2015, 2:29 PM)

cbviajero

Sep 27, 2015, 2:50 PM

Post #24 of 39 (9592 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Experience - most expats seem to be looking to make money off fellow expats. .

Well,that hasn't been my experience,most of the expats I've met are just ordinary retired people who aren't trying to get over on anyone.

Gringal

Sep 27, 2015, 3:06 PM

Post #25 of 39 (9582 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Back in the Good Old Days?

| Private Reply
That's been my experience, too.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see the relationship between this thread and the pictorial reference from Cuerna.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Sep 27, 2015, 3:09 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4