Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

John Shrall

Sep 24, 2015, 12:22 PM

Post #1 of 7 (4209 views)

Shortcut

Bancomer Movíil App - Caution

Can't Post | Private Reply
I posted this information on the local Chapala board but since it applies to Bancomer customers throughout Mexico I thought I'd share it here.

If you are using bancomer.com for online banking and think that installing the movíl app on an iPad or iPhone be aware that there are consequences. I don't know if they are intended or not but once you complete the convoluted procedure for registering the movíl app you'll find out that you can no longer access your account through the bancomer.com portal.

Their explanation was that bancomer.com and bancomer movil are 2 different "services" and that if you sign up for movíl you have to pay another $200 pesos to get a new blue token generator. I had to argue for almost 45 minutes that to me and probably most customers, Bancomer is Bancomer with the iPad app being just another way to see your account data.

The Bancomer manager then dropped English and started conversing totally in Spanish. Maybe she thought that would be intimidating but it wasn't. I could stand my ground in either language.

Finally she gave up and terminated the movíl as well as the original Bancomer account and gave me a new physical token generator. Now I must register again online to re-establish Internet banking through the bancomer.com portal and then delete the app from the iPad.

For some people the mobile app might be sufficient or even better so this apparent inconsistency wouldn't be a problem but most banking apps available for Apple and Android coexist with desktop access.

joaquinx

Sep 25, 2015, 8:11 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Shrall] Bancomer Movíil App - Caution

I received an email from HSBC regarding the filing of a W9 (FATCA). Since I already had the document, I went down to the branch and told them I wanted to turn in the W9 that they requested. The agent went and discussed this with her supervisor and returned to ask me for my passport and a comprobante domicilio. I went home to retrieve the documents and returned only to be asked for a companero. Why this? Has anyone run into this type of request in regard to a W9?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

DigYourself

Sep 25, 2015, 9:12 AM

Post #3 of 7 (4128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Bancomer Movíil App - Caution

Can't Post |
Are you saying they were asking you for a witness ?
We gave all our financial institutions W9s last year (in English and Spanish) - and were never asked for anything more than the form itself.
We are on a first name basis with the woman who helps us at HSBC.

joaquinx

Sep 25, 2015, 9:16 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4122 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Bancomer Movíil App - Caution

In Reply To
Are you saying they were asking you for a witness ?
We gave all our financial institutions W9s last year (in English and Spanish) - and were never asked for anything more than the form itself.
We are on a first name basis with the woman who helps us at HSBC.

I had the English and Spanish forms in hand and they asked me for those two documents and a companero. I am supposed to get a letter from HSBC with the actual request, as apposed to the email. I await further instructions.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

DigYourself

Sep 25, 2015, 9:32 AM

Post #5 of 7 (4114 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
If you enjoy banking at HSBC you should not drag your feet. I believe they are looking for reasons to sever relationships with Americans. Our contact at HSBC told us (a while back) that she saw problems on the horizon. She really went out of her way to assure the powers-that-be were satisfied with our paperwork.That conversation caused us to open an account with Banamex - just to be safe.

joaquinx

Sep 25, 2015, 9:34 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Bancomer Movíil App - Caution

I have considered that option. HSBC states that they are FATCA compliant worldwide. If so, why the hassle.
_______

DigYourself

Sep 25, 2015, 9:39 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4108 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
What's in it for them ? You are just more work for them - and risk.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4