Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

sardo49

Sep 22, 2015, 4:35 PM

Post #1 of 11 (5989 views)

Shortcut

McAllen to SLP highway travel

Can't Post | Private Reply
IS THE HIGHWAY TRAVEL BETWEEN MCALLEN, TEXAS AND SAN LUIS POTOSI CONSIDERED SAFE NOW?

RickS

Sep 22, 2015, 7:32 PM

Post #2 of 11 (5971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sardo49] McAllen to SLP highway travel

As opposed to when?

jreboll

Sep 23, 2015, 3:26 AM

Post #3 of 11 (5959 views)

Shortcut

I have heard from others that crossing at Anzalduaz on to Monterrey-Matehuala through the toll roads is pretty safe. I will be taking that route in January

roberth

Sep 25, 2015, 8:40 AM

Post #4 of 11 (5885 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] McAllen to SLP highway travel

In Reply To
As opposed to when?

Exactly. Been traveling the McAllen to Monterrey route for more than a year, and the Monterrey to SMA route since January of this year. As safe as any road I've ever traveled on. There's one stretch of highway about equidistant between Satillo and SLP that is kinda rough, but other than that the road conditions are pretty good too.

I'm guessing the OP may be referring to the sometimes violence that can pop up in Reyonosa? Just take the new international bridge towards the west of McAllen, which allows you to skirt Reyonosa almost entirely.

Altahabana

Sep 25, 2015, 4:52 PM

Post #5 of 11 (5859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] McAllen to SLP highway travel

In Reply To
I have heard from others that crossing at Anzalduaz on to Monterrey-Matehuala through the toll roads is pretty safe. I will be taking that route in January

I think the OP is asking about travel through Central Tamaulipas.

RickS

Sep 25, 2015, 5:13 PM

Post #6 of 11 (5855 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] McAllen to SLP highway travel

That was my take also....

I personally have not heard of much going on in the Central Tamaulipas area and several people I know have taken that route over the last 6-8 months without any incidents. Of course, many of us at this level would not necessarily hear of incidents so this doesn't mean that none are occurring. What is your take from where you sit/listen Altahabana?

Altahabana

Sep 26, 2015, 7:21 AM

Post #7 of 11 (5827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] McAllen to SLP highway travel

I don't really have a take on safety. There's more going on in Reynosa/Matamorosthan anywhere else aling the border, but it doesn't present any specific danger.

But safety aside, unless someone lives in the Rio Grande Valley or is there for some other reason, McAllen is not the best route from the Texas border to SLP.

playaboy

Sep 26, 2015, 8:04 AM

Post #8 of 11 (5819 views)

Shortcut

Altahabana, are the Federales still running the safety conveys for travelers along Hwys 101 and 97 between Reynosa, Matamoros and Ciudad Victoria and Tampico?

Altahabana

Sep 26, 2015, 8:18 AM

Post #9 of 11 (5817 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] McAllen to SLP highway travel

I don't know. There is a greater military presence there than in other parts of the state though. More problems, more security forces.

gene089

Sep 30, 2015, 3:38 PM

Post #10 of 11 (5740 views)

Shortcut

Three weeks ago on another forum there was reporting of a retene falso between Saltillo and Matehualla.

robt65

Oct 20, 2015, 6:12 PM

Post #11 of 11 (5353 views)

Shortcut

I take that road every three weeks to three months and my last trip was three weeks ago. Had absolutely no problems at all. Speed seems to be enforced a little more, but in general a very easy ride. Plan on heading back exact mw way in another week and a half. Don't expect any problems that way either. Have been using the Anzalduas bridge crossing for about 5 years now and again not problem one. Only have to worry about the road conditions before you hit the Cuota like Rick says.
Regards,
robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4