Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

DigYourself

Sep 15, 2015, 11:35 AM

Post #1 of 1 (4431 views)

Shortcut

Liability ins. (for rental) for Mexican residents in US

Can't Post |
We are planning a trip to Texas in the near term and will rent a car.

We are US citizens who live full-time in Mexico.

If we charge the car on our BankOfAmerica card collision ins is provided.

I see from a year old thread that some people recommend - www.economybookings.com - but in reading the terms they don't provide insurance coverage for US citizens. They also don't get glowing reviews on TripAdvisor.

I also see from that same thread that people recommend - AMEX Premium Rental Car Insurance - called them but they don't provide coverage for Mexican residents.

In Mexico we have our Auto ins (liability only) through Banamex. I think the underwriter is GNP. My wife is trying to get an answer from them if we have any coverage for the US rental.

Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks.

Edit : Well I made a few calls and I am a little smarter. But something is weird.

For starters we can get liability insurance at the rental counter for 13.99/day - not the end of the world since we will be there 4 days.

But we are AARP members and yesterday I booked a compact car from Payless on the AARP website and received a total price of 264.87.

Today I visited the Alamo website and booked a mid-sized car for 197.01 !

I called Alamo to confirm. They quoted me 3 times the rate I was getting on their web-site. I told the woman the amount - she said - what is your confirmation number - I told her and she said yup you are good to go. You got a great deal. I said I will be very upset if they try to charge us more at the counter when we get there. She said - nope you have a confirmation. I asked her to put a note on the reservation regarding our conversation and she said she would.

Weird.

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on Sep 15, 2015, 12:19 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4