Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

viktoremski

Sep 8, 2015, 2:07 PM

Post #1 of 19 (10459 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know this subject has been mentioned on this forum in the past, however, after reading the old posts, I still have questions regarding Carta de no antecedentes penales a nivel federal (Criminal record for citizenship, federal level). I tried to call the numbers shown on SRE websites, so far with no success. A few of this forum's members went through this process recently, so maybe they can weigh in.
  • SRE representative mentioned to me the federal record can be obtained without traveling to DF. Yet the information I've found so far suggests the trip is necessary (because of fingerprinting and need to show original documents).
  • If one's record is clean, can it be otained the same day, or will I have to travel again to pick up the results?
  • Is the address shown on SRE website correct: Calle Tlalpan No 2962, col Espartaco, delegacion Coyoacan?
  • Will they accept birth certificate issued, translated, and apostiled in 2014, or will they insist that I obtain a current year's certificate?
  • Do I need to take along utility bills, photos, or anything else?

I will appreciate specific answers from those who went through this. Thanks.

citlali

Sep 8, 2015, 8:30 PM

Post #2 of 19 (10410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

I do not know about not having to go to df

you can pick it up within an hour or less.

It was the building in Coyoacán.last year do not know this year.

I was told that the apostilled birth certificate had to be less tan 3 month old , I do not know if they enforce it or no. I did it then all my papers were stolen on the way back then the 3 months expire and I started everything from scratch,
I also did it for my husband so I went through it 3 times but my papers were less tan 3 months old so I ddo not know the answer.
no need for other papers but it does not hurt to have them just in case. They have guys with copiers in cars if you need copies.

(This post was edited by citlali on Sep 8, 2015, 8:32 PM)

viktoremski

Sep 9, 2015, 8:55 AM

Post #3 of 19 (10359 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

Thank you Citlali.

citlali

Sep 9, 2015, 2:44 PM

Post #4 of 19 (10314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

Hopefully someone who did it in the last 3 months can give you an update but you can count on being able to go back the same day . Take more papers tan you need, you can alwways make copies.
Good luck

viktoremski

Sep 9, 2015, 4:12 PM

Post #5 of 19 (10305 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

Thanks. My worry is that my birth certificate is over a year old. Since I was born overseas, I have a dilema, risk a trip to DF with a not-so-fresh certificate, or beg a friend in Poland to obtain another certificate for me, translate and apostile it (which would involve a trip to Warsaw). As for SRE, they are ok with 2014 certificate. I am surprised that the place issuing criminal background check requires a birth certificate less than three months old. Or maybe it's a misunderstanding?

cbviajero

Sep 9, 2015, 4:24 PM

Post #6 of 19 (10302 views)

Shortcut

It's common practice for Mexican bureaucrats to require a recently issued birth certificate for any number of (tramites).

YucaLandia

Sep 9, 2015, 6:47 PM

Post #7 of 19 (10277 views)

Shortcut

I was just approved for naturalized Mexican citizenship here in Merida in July.

I used an apostilled US birth certificate from 2011. My Notario assured me that under Mexican law a properly apostilled birth certificate does not expire. The same thing was true for the other American I know who got his naturalized citizenship in 2014.

I did not have to travel to Mexico City or anywhere outside of Merida for confirmation of no police record. My Notario has a representative in Mexico City who gets the " Carta de no antecedentes penales a nivel federal" records. This procedure has worked for multiple applicants, under both the previous Merida SRE delegado and our current SRE delegado.

I did have to provide a CFE bill as a comprabante, plus Registro Civil official proof of marriage to a Mexican (applying with just 2 years of Residente Permanente) when I applied.

At some later point we had to provide copies of our INM records and the certification from the State of Yucatan that I had no prior criminal record.

My US-English language records had to be translated by an official translator approved by the Merida SRE. (At times in the past, there has been only one SRE-approved translator for the whole Yucatan peninsula.)

Based on Spencer's previous reports from Guadalajara, the Guadalajara SRE office may have slightly different requirements than the Merida SRE office.

There's a post or 2 over in the "sticky" post area describing the details of both my experiences & requirements and the same for John Shrall.

Best of Luck,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

John Shrall

Sep 10, 2015, 8:04 AM

Post #8 of 19 (10227 views)

Shortcut

I too did not go to DF to get the criminal report. A representative from our lawyer's office made the trip and returned with the proper document that was later accepted by SRE.

An old birth certificate could be problematic or it might not. We didn't have any long form birth certificates and so had to order new ones, get them apostiled and then translated. I too heard that the birth certificate had to be under 1 year old but we never had to test it.

The SRE process in Guadalajara was extremely easy which could be the office or the fact that our lawyer recently worked with the people in that office.

I posted a long thread a year and half back about our citizenship adventure. It might help to check it out.

Names on birth certificate can be a problem. Mine carried a Jr. as I was named after my dad. Never used it in any other legal documents so I had to get an affidavit notarized by the US consulate explaining that.

Women have bigger problems with married names. If your birth certificate, passport and current visa names all match you shouldn't have any problems. Any mismatches will cause you some amount of grief.

Best of luck getting all your papers in order. A trip to Warsaw wouldn't be all that bad. We found it to be surprisingly beautiful in a trip last year.

viktoremski

Sep 10, 2015, 9:17 AM

Post #9 of 19 (10208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

Thanks Steve, and John for your input. I hope, as in Steve's case, my apostiled birth certificate will not be considered "expired". I will also try to see if I can have a notary take care of obtaining the criminal record. That would save me a trip to DF. Thanks a lot!

YucaLandia

Sep 10, 2015, 10:38 AM

Post #10 of 19 (10194 views)

Shortcut

Since airline ticket prices out of Merida are not modest, our cost savings of not making a last-minute-booked trip to DF actually made it overall cheaper to use a local Notario (and his representative in DF) to get my citizenship, than paying for an unnecessary trip to DF. YMMV

I was told that I should not get the "Carta de No Antecedentes Penales" until SRE had approved my initial-documents submission. So, our SRE office receives the application, does preliminary checks of the documents, checks your printed spreadsheet of your exit and entry dates of trips out of Mexico, checks the spreadsheet values versus your passport (which means the date stamps need to be legible) , checks those dates versus your INM records, etc

... and then if it all checks-out, SRE says: "Yes, your application looks good. Go ahead and get the "Carta de No Antecedentes Penales" from DF. "

Because the SRE's initial checking/review process can take as little as 4 days or as much as a month or 2, none of us know when to book travel to DF to get the "Carta de No Antecedentes Penales".

If your local Notario can use/pay an existing service (rep) in DF to quickly go get the "Carta de No Antecedentes Penales" when SRE gives the preliminary approval to your documents, it saves the last-minute-booking-airline ticket costs and also saves the potential over-night stay costs for applicants who sometimes take 1 or 2 days to get the "Carta de No Antecedentes Penales".

There were no fingerprints required at that step for me or the other Merida applicants.
Again, YMMV at your local SRE office.

Best of Luck for a smooth process,
steve

ps. Viktor: Could you please come back and tell us what exams you were required to pass.
e.g. Did you have to pass:
~ #1. A 5 question written exam on Mexican history and Mexican culture?
~ #2. A short oral exam - in Spanish - on Mexican history and Mexican culture? ("pass" 6 out of 8 questions)
~ #3. A medium oral exam - in Spanish - on Mexican history and Mexican culture? ("pass" 8 out of 12 questions)

~ #4. Be required to make/give a long (30 minute) detailed oration/narrative describing Mexican History (covering pre-Columbian, the Conquest, Colonial Mexico, the war for Independence, 19'th Century key Mexican events and dates, and the Revolution - up to Cardenas ... plus explanations of the Escudo, Bandera, then sing/recite at least the chorus and 1'st, 2'nd and last verses of the Hymno.

plus
~ #5. An exam for basic Spanish conversation competency - including explaining why you want to be a citizen?

I was surprised that on my first official visit to the SRE office (since they liked my documents filings) to be given both the written exam, plus having to describe in detail a combination oral history of Mexico, conversational Spanish, the national symbols, recite key parts of the Hymno, and tell about Mexican culture and why I wanted to become a citizen. I was not prepared to do all those things... (missing just a few dates and missing precise recitation of the Hymno), so I had to return 3 weeks later to complete those items.

So, I was given a combination of #1, #4, and #5 all on my first visit. Other older applicants have had to do #2 and #5 in separate SRE visits, with re-takes allowed on yet more later appointments.

The Merida SRE Delegado, the SRE abogado, and my Notario explained that our Delegado now expects applicants under age 61 should do all these requirements ... but, hopefully, this is just yet another Yucatan quirk.
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 10, 2015, 10:45 AM)

DigYourself

Sep 10, 2015, 11:08 AM

Post #11 of 19 (10180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

Can't Post |
Please - what do you mean by -

"My US-English language records had to be translated by an official translator approved by the Merida SRE. (At times in the past, there has been only one SRE-approved translator for the whole Yucatan peninsula.) "

I get it - those docs of your's which were in English had to be translated. On my first read I thought you were saying you needed to provide proof of your Spanish language abilities. Sorry.

(This post was edited by cuerna1 on Sep 10, 2015, 11:12 AM)

YucaLandia

Sep 10, 2015, 11:46 AM

Post #12 of 19 (10166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

In Reply To
Please - what do you mean by -

"My US-English language records had to be translated by an official translator approved by the Merida SRE. (At times in the past, there has been only one SRE-approved translator for the whole Yucatan peninsula.) "

I get it - those docs of your's which were in English had to be translated. On my first read I thought you were saying you needed to provide proof of your Spanish language abilities. Sorry.

Correct: My US birth certificate had to be formally translated into Spanish, using a translator approved by SRE.

That one translator used to live in Cancun, but is now in Merida.

I'm curious if this "SRE approved translator" is another quirk of Yucatan, or if other SRE offices only accept translations from their "approved" translator(s).
-
Read-on MacDuff

citlali

Sep 10, 2015, 6:23 PM

Post #13 of 19 (10119 views)

Shortcut

I did not use a facilitator so I had to go to Mexico and I was told in Guadalajara that my papers had to be done by an approved translator, a court translater is fine but when I showed the papers in Mexico city they did not even bbother Reading the translation they wanted to see the apostille and the original paper.. I think it all depends if the person who is there that day is a sticker or not..

I also had to have the apostilled and translating done again because they were over 3 months..but then it is the same rule in France so maybe it is why..who knows.

viktoremski

Sep 11, 2015, 9:27 AM

Post #14 of 19 (10061 views)

Shortcut

Hi Steve,

I appreciate all the detailed information provided in your post.

I am not quite sure how to understand "checks your printed spreadsheet of your exit and entry". Isn't that done based on passport stamps and information from INM? Or is the spreadsheet still something else?

Your experiences regarding mexican history tests sound truly scary, and I just hope, it will be not as harsh in my case. I will definitely share my experiences.

Based on the information from you, and also after reading some older posts, I decided to postpone the application process one month, to mid december. That's when my current passport, with no exit/enty stamps, will be two years old.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend,

Victor

John Shrall

Sep 11, 2015, 10:30 AM

Post #15 of 19 (10052 views)

Shortcut

We had to provide INM with every page of our US passport so they could match up exit and re-entries. I had already kept a spreadsheet of our dates out of the country as original plan was to apply for inmigrado. The change to the visa process forced us to permanente.

Presenting the spreadsheet of the dates noting the pages where the stamps were used by our attorney to present the information to INM who in turn came back with the certification document that was given to SRE.

I don't know how it would work if you have a passport under 2 years old. There's no way to crosscheck the stamps visually. INM would probably have to rely on computer records when you left the country.

citlali

Sep 11, 2015, 1:47 PM

Post #16 of 19 (10016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Shrall] Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

Since I had lost my Passport and the new one was a few months old I had to ask Immigration to give me some report, I forget the name of that showed all my enties and exits,( I think they said something like flujo de migración. It takes them 2 to 3 weeks to produce..)

viktoremski

Sep 11, 2015, 2:24 PM

Post #17 of 19 (10007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Shrall] Mexican Citizenship - Carta de No Antecedentes Penales - federal

Thanks John, and Citlali, for sharing your experiences. Now I'm even more convinced that it will be better to apply when my current passport is 2 y.o., which is in December.
Enjoy your weekend, Victor

YucaLandia

Sep 12, 2015, 11:50 AM

Post #18 of 19 (9935 views)

Shortcut

Hi Viktor,
Our SRE office wants a printed spreadsheet version of the exits and entries that makes it easy to identify the pairs of matched exit/re-entry dates, proving whether we met the requirement not be outside Mexico for more than 180 days out of the previous 24 months.

This document also shows why foreigners should formally check-out with INM (using an FMM) every time we drive out of Mexico, if you think you might want to be a naturalized citizen.

Every time we leave Mexico without formally registering the exit with INM, our passport get a re-entry stamp into Mexico ... that has no corresponding stamp for the prior exit, creating an open-jaw trip that INM/SRE can interpret as a very long stay outside of Mexico.

Re the Merida SRE test protocols: Hopefully, this evolving system here is an exception/artifact of a local Delegado who has his own ideas about what constitutes a high quality naturalized citizen.

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

viktoremski

Sep 14, 2015, 1:00 PM

Post #19 of 19 (9825 views)

Shortcut

Hi Steve,

So, I understand, the spreadsheet is created based on passport stamps and INM records. That should work fine in my case, as I have no stamps, and no INM records of leaving/entering Mexico in the current passport, which will be 2 y.o. in December. I hope I will survive "stamp free" until then ;-)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4