Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

johnjerry

Sep 5, 2015, 8:30 AM

Post #1 of 11 (3403 views)

Shortcut

Temporary Resident Question

Can't Post | Private Reply
Once I get my Temporary Resident Visa, can I leave and return to Mex without time restrictions?

rvgringo

Sep 5, 2015, 9:28 AM

Post #2 of 11 (3385 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnjerry] Temporary Resident Question

Yes, you can. You can even fly; leaving your car behind.

johnjerry

Sep 5, 2015, 9:40 AM

Post #3 of 11 (3382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Temporary Resident Question

Thank you. I was reading elsewhere where they said you need special permission to leave?

rvgringo

Sep 5, 2015, 9:44 AM

Post #4 of 11 (3379 views)

Shortcut

That was really wrong, or maybe a wrong interpretation. You are free to come and go at will, but you do check out with an FMM, which you complete indicating your INM status and visa number. Nothing more. You keep half and use it when you re-enter Mexico.

johnjerry

Sep 5, 2015, 9:52 AM

Post #5 of 11 (3376 views)

Shortcut

Would you also know if common-law is acceptable when applying for Temporary Res Visa?

rvgringo

Sep 5, 2015, 9:57 AM

Post #6 of 11 (3374 views)

Shortcut

It is accepted, but you will have to prove it with some documents from your home state; maybe deeds, auto title, mirth certificates of children, etc. I am not sure what else, so ask at the consulate. They all differ on details.

DigYourself

Sep 5, 2015, 10:02 AM

Post #7 of 11 (3370 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I believe (95% sure) that if you have begun your visa process at INM but have not yet actually received your card - that you do in fact need to request permission to leave Mexico - or else return to square one (start the process over).

johnjerry

Sep 5, 2015, 10:31 AM

Post #8 of 11 (3363 views)

Shortcut

Thank you very much, rvgringo!

johnjerry

Sep 5, 2015, 10:32 AM

Post #9 of 11 (3361 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cuerna1] Temporary Resident Question

In Reply To
I believe (95% sure) that if you have begun your visa process at INM but have not yet actually received your card - that you do in fact need to request permission to leave Mexico - or else return to square one (start the process over).

Thanks, and how long on average would I wait to receive the card?

rvgringo

Sep 5, 2015, 10:43 AM

Post #10 of 11 (3356 views)

Shortcut

I did not realize that you were already in Mexico on a “Canje“, and in tramite to finish the process, which usually takes 6-8 weeks. However, there is no set time. If you wish, you can travel inside Mexico with your “NUT letter“, but not leave the country. If you have to leave for an emergency, you must go to INM and request and purchase a letter of authorization for a limited time, not to exceed 60 days. Meanwhile, use the online site to follow your process and be sure to report to INM as soon as you can for each step. That will expedite the process.....a little.....maybe.

DigYourself

Sep 5, 2015, 11:20 AM

Post #11 of 11 (3343 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
How long probably depends on which INM office you visit. I suspect a more urban spot might be a little more efficient. In 2013 it took my wife 3-4 weeks to get her PR card. Took me twice that since it was lost in the back of the file cabinet and I just got lucky after repeated visits that someone remembered having seen it and they then looked a little harder for it. But I think the whole process is much faster now since the people at INM are more familiar with the process.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4